Thread: Twin Tube SFX-03

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Twin Tube SFX-03

Hi

Anybody here can telle me, what happend if I supstitute the 2 6021 tubes with some 6112 tubes?
    Is it posible and what happend to the sound?

Best
    Mos

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

Default Re: Twin Tube SFX-03

My understanding is that the tubes will take a bit of skill to remove...however, that is second hand info, I may be wrong.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They won't just pull right out...they have leads that are soldered to the board/other components.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome to the forum!!

if the specs of the tubes match up pretty close and only have a gain difference then it might work but like others have said, it isnt like swapping a 5751 for a 12ax7

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know :-) i can use a soldering iron so thats not the problem:-)

Best
    Mos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks.

But is it so for the 6112 v 6111, that the only differents is the gain? have you heard of anyone who have tried to change the tubes?

Best
    Mos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you'd have to find the tube spec sheets and compare them unless maybe frank could chime in. i dont think i know of anyone who has tried it

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I think i will waiti for Frank:-)

Best Mos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We put the 6111 (the tube from the Twin Tube Blue) into the TT Classic just to see what it would be like. It sounded pretty much the same, but the gain was a little lower. The biggest difference is the bias. Once we adjusted the bias for the 6111 it sounded better. So if you put a 6112 in there and it sounds a little fizzy, or the distortion isn't as smooth, it's more likely the bias than the gain structure of the tube.

I will go on record (because I have to) and say that the official position of the company is that we wouldn't advise changing the tubes to anything other than 6021. But lots of pedal companies probably say the same thing, and yet I've been inside most of them with my soldering iron.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much, i will try some 6112 and se what happend, after that I have to find the bias resistor for the to tubes (R?) is there any places were i can get a schematic of the pedal?

Best
    Mos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    We put the 6111 (the tube from the Twin Tube Blue) into the TT Classic just to see what it would be like. It sounded pretty much the same, but the gain was a little lower. The biggest difference is the bias. Once we adjusted the bias for the 6111 it sounded better. So if you put a 6112 in there and it sounds a little fizzy, or the distortion isn't as smooth, it's more likely the bias than the gain structure of the tube.

I will go on record (because I have to) and say that the official position of the company is that we wouldn't advise changing the tubes to anything other than 6021. But lots of pedal companies probably say the same thing, and yet I've been inside most of them with my soldering iron.
    hey Frank,
    I have a few questions about the Twin Tube Mayhem.
    I got it a month ago, and i love it! great sounding pedal, it has everything i need, i was looking for something like this for quite some time.

Maybe you can tell me, what kind of tone were you after while building this pedal?
    are there any pro guitarists that use it/tour with it that you can mention?
    are there any alternative ways to power this pedal, a specific dc brick that works with it?

Hope you reply, thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Twin Tube Mayhem was designed and prototyped prior to my arrival. But to my ears, it sounds like a lot of metal-voiced tube amps. It has a tube sag to it that you hear in the cranked Triple Rec that you can't get out of something like a Metal Zone or whatever. It's the opposite of the "insect fizz bedroom distortion"

The pedal is designed to run off of our 16 volts AC adapters. Most DC bricks do not have an AC output. The T-Rex Fuel Tank has a 12 volt AC output I think, but I would not use that either. I ran a Twin Tube Classic off of that in an emergency once, and it sounded a little different. I would always recommend using our adapter.

... it is pretty sucky from a convenience standpoint to have a friggin wall wart on my board, but the tone is too good to pass up ...
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Twin Tube Mayhem was designed and prototyped prior to my arrival. But to my ears, it sounds like a lot of metal-voiced tube amps. It has a tube sag to it that you hear in the cranked Triple Rec that you can't get out of something like a Metal Zone or whatever. It's the opposite of the "insect fizz bedroom distortion"

The pedal is designed to run off of our 16 volts AC adapters. Most DC bricks do not have an AC output. The T-Rex Fuel Tank has a 12 volt AC output I think, but I would not use that either. I ran a Twin Tube Classic off of that in an emergency once, and it sounded a little different. I would always recommend using our adapter.
    thanks for replying.
    im guessing there's no touring musician that uses the TTM.

I wonder if it's actually dangerous to plug it into a 12v. guess most people here can answer that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i doubt its dangerous as long as the power supply can handle the current load but it may not be good for the pedal and may not sound good cause youll lower the voltages

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i doubt its dangerous as long as the power supply can handle the current load but it may not be good for the pedal and may not sound good cause youll lower the voltages
    yea, my Warwick pedal board has a 12v plug. i wont intend to try it, but it made me wonder, if i have an emergency, like if the wallwart wont work before/during a gig. that 12v is probably my only backup. that or the amp's OD channel

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can use the 12-volt in an emergency, but I'm not endorsing it, I'm just telling you my experience, and that I used it in an emergency and it worked but I noticed a little sound difference. It's like browning out a tube amp, it's not unsafe, but it's not recomended by the manufacturer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got back from rehersal. i played thru 100w Randal RH100. it's the 1st time i used the Twin Tube Mayhem outside my room.

It sounded fantastic, worked great with the 8db boost for solos, exactly as i expected when i first got it.

I noticed that whle i play home, the unit gets hot after a while playing, but when i played in the rehersal thru the RH100, it almost didnt get hot at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Frank
    Do you remember the new bias voltage (approx) suitable for the 6111 tube?

Řivind,
    Norway