Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work pet peeve # 2332344335234

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Work pet peeve # 2332344335234

I need to rant.

The girl that sits in the cubicle in front of me is sick. She has been for several weeks. All you hear is sneezing, coughing, nose blowing, and she moans...

For the first couple of weeks I was able to fight it off. Last week I took a week off of work for my birthday. Instead of partying down, I was sick for 4 days with the flu.

I returned to work a week later and she's still sick today. Still making all the same sick noises, coughing with her mouth open, sneezing, and blowing her nose at her desk. She makes weird body noises like moaning and weezing.

I want to tell her to either keep it down or go home. But something is holding me back.

I wanted to punch her for makign me sick during my birthday vacation. Now, I wanna pummel her face inside out.

Rant over.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Default Re: Work pet peeve # 2332344335234

Go tell her supervisor or just be nice and say, "You don't sound good and don't need to be here. Go home and rest up." She might just agree with you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sucks. The last week of school, I was sitting in class, and this dude comes up 2 seats next to me, with what was an obvious bad cold. The class being packed, I could not move.

Turns out I got what ever he was packing, and I was sick for the whole week before my finals started. I hate him.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still come to work sick, (not the flu) all one day off does is get me behind so I have to work extra the next few days. For some reason I stay sick for a week and a half, even with extra rest.

I of course try to be as considerate as possible, always washing my hands, not touching anyone's stuff, etc.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just sent an email to her supervisor. I can't take it anymore. I think I've been patient long enough.

Hi Ricardo,

You know me, I’m not one who complains often, if at all.

But Kaye is still sick. She has been for several weeks. Coughing with her mouth open, sneezing, and blowing her nose at her desk. Don’t even get me started about the body noises.

I was sick for 4 days last week. I suspect I contracted whatever she has.

I don’t think its fair to others to have to come to work and be subjected to possible illness and having to spend the entire day listening to her body noises.

Is there anything you can do to please help?

Thanks,

If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO

That's all you had to do.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm always torn on the issue. Some people take a sick day if they have a headache. Some will go to work with the flu.

Recently they lumped together our sick time and vacation time into a Paid Time Off (PTO) pool. They allow 3 sick days, so anything over that cuts into your vacation. Unfortunately this encourages people to come to work sick, including myself.

There have even been a couple days where I've called in sick and end up at work because I get too many phone calls.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1. Maybe she's contagious; maybe not.
    2. Maybe you contracted her illness; maybe not.
    3. Maybe she suffers from seasonal allergies and is NOT contagious at all.
    4. Maybe she carries the virus described in "The Stand" by Stephen King. If so, you'll be dead soon and it won't matter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1. Punch her in the uterus
    2. Poop in her file drawer
    3. Put Clorox in her lunch
    4. Waggle your man-parts at her while singing Miley Cyrus songs in falsetto
    5. Beat her arms with a sawn-off shovel handle
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After being in a hospital for 2 weeks because I cought something funky from a work colleague that just came off vacation, I have a very strong opinion on this subject. As a result it´s propably better to warn that none of this is meant as a personal attack on anybody, but I absolutely condemn this mindset with every fiber of my being...

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I still come to work sick, (not the flu) all one day off does is get me behind so I have to work extra the next few days. For some reason I stay sick for a week and a half, even with extra rest.
    Unfortunately, everybody thinks this way, which is IMO nothing but concieted, egotistical and reckless. Works great if you´re god, but makes you a pretty big liability if you´re not. Let me explain..

"OMG, I`ll get behind if I stay home for a day"

1. NO thoughts of the colleages that you´ll infect, causing the whole COMPANY to slow down. Or the dozen other people that are now behind 2 days because you wouldn´t take one off like any sane person would have. Either way, the project is now behind schedule, meaning more work for EVERYBODY. Thanks

2. NO thoughts of the Hot chick that just got off sick leave that is going to be fired next week for being sick too often, after you infect her with your strain. Too bad her Husband got laid off last week becasue the auto industry sucks, and now they have to go on welfare soon with their 2 kids... If all goes bad, they´ll end up selling their home soon, because nobody really want´s to employ an aging man from a dinosaur of an industry, or for that matter a young mother that´s "constantly sick". Thanks

3. NO thoughts of the families of other co workers who also can be infected. You had the bird flu, and didn´t stay home at first because you "thought it was a cold"... And Dan´s 2 year old daughter is now in intensive care with a near zero survival chance, but you didn´t catch that because you stayed home after you had infected the whole office. Thanks.

Food for thought... what is best for ME just may **** up everyone else around me. The question here is: am I an ******* that doesn´t care, or am I worthy of the air I breathe
    Last edited by Zerberus; 04-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pfft. I work for the schoo' bored.

Super Toneologist blindedbysilence's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Germ Bubble
    Last edited by blindedbysilence; 04-24-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
    he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work in the auto industry and it's brutal, people being let go left and right. If I get my stuff done, it prevents ME from being let go! And like I said, when I get sick I'm sick for up to 3 weeks. (runny nose and whatnot) and NO company will let you take off a week sick for a stupid cold. The irony is the times I get sick is when we're working 14 hour days to complete things for a deadline. 8 hour days and low stress keep me healthy.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most companies nowadays seem pretty cool with taking sick time. It's simply a question of managing risk. It's better to have one person out sick for a week than 20 people working at 50% capacity because the entire office got infected. There have been quite a few studies on this, and all of them conclude that keeping sick people at home is the way to go for better overall performance.

My employer (which is probably a special case since it runs several hospitals) actually REQUIRES that employees take at least a week off with pay if we get the flu. If I show up to work with the flu, I could lose my job.

Oh, and +1 to LS's allergy hypothesis. I've never heard of someone having a cold or flu for a month. I HAVE heard of (and experienced personally) someone having allergic reactions for a month or more, especially in the spring. If I were to bet on this, I'd say she has allergies, and you just randomly got sick at a bad time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    1. Punch her in the uterus
    2. Poop in her file drawer
    3. Put Clorox in her lunch
    5. Beat her arms with a sawn-off shovel handle
    Muhahahaha, I just noticed your new avatar also...heehee

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This might sell!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    After being in a hospital for 2 weeks because I cought something funky from a work colleague that just came off vacation, I have a very strong opinion on this subject. As a result it´s propably better to warn that none of this is meant as a personal attack on anybody, but I absolutely condemn this mindset with every fiber of my being...

Unfortunately, everybody thinks this way, which is IMO nothing but concieted, egotistical and reckless. Works great if you´re god, but makes you a pretty big liability if you´re not. Let me explain..

"OMG, I`ll get behind if I stay home for a day"

1. NO thoughts of the colleages that you´ll infect, causing the whole COMPANY to slow down. Or the dozen other people that are now behind 2 days because you wouldn´t take one off like any sane person would have. Either way, the project is now behind schedule, meaning more work for EVERYBODY. Thanks

2. NO thoughts of the Hot chick that just got off sick leave that is going to be fired next week for being sick too often, after you infect her with your strain. Too bad her Husband got laid off last week becasue the auto industry sucks, and now they have to go on welfare soon with their 2 kids... If all goes bad, they´ll end up selling their home soon, because nobody really want´s to employ an aging man from a dinosaur of an industry, or for that matter a young mother that´s "constantly sick". Thanks

3. NO thoughts of the families of other co workers who also can be infected. You had the bird flu, and didn´t stay home at first because you "thought it was a cold"... And Dan´s 2 year old daughter is now in intensive care with a near zero survival chance, but you didn´t catch that because you stayed home after you had infected the whole office. Thanks.

Food for thought... what is best for ME just may **** up everyone else around me. The question here is: am I an ******* that doesn´t care, or am I worthy of the air I breathe
    + infinity
    Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
    You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by stratocastered View Post
    In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tell them to quit breathing my air, I carry around a spray bottle of Lysol strapped to my belt, and then I mainline some GermX while their watching so they'll understand how serious it all is.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could kill all humans, but the disease that would likely grow on the rotting bodies would probably wipe you out. You might just have to live with those worthless mortals getting you sick occasionally.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks View Post
    You could kill all humans, but the disease that would likely grow on the rotting bodies would probably wipe you out. You might just have to live with those worthless mortals getting you sick occasionally.
    The obvious solution is to kill all humans and incinerate their carcasses. I can't believe I even have to explain this to you.