Thread: coil tapping/splitting a PEAVEY Wolfgang special?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default coil tapping/splitting a PEAVEY Wolfgang special?

Hi there first post here and its great to meet you all

i just got back from the music shop with a brand new 500k push/pull pot in hopes to get a coil tap setup on my wolf special or standard. i think i would rather it be on my special though because i keep that one tuned down half step for a more bluesy sound anyway. and add it to the standard later if i feel like.

but whats stopping me among other things is that the wolf neck PU is single conductor so im screwed there? unless i get another pickup or modify it to have another wire.

also im having trouble figuring out what all this "series/parallel" split,cut,ext is all about.
    so if there is anyone out there with some experience with PEAVEY wolfgang's i sure would appreciate some help.

thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: coil tapping/splitting a PEAVEY Wolfgang special?

From what I understand, the Peavey Wolgang pickups don't sound that great split (neither do the stock Dimarzio pickups on my EBMM Axis). Peavey made the pickups hotter on the new HP's to give better split tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 1998 wolfgang special with stock pups. I also have a bridge wolfgang pup in reserve. I like them and dont have any plans to change them. As far as the split is concerned my wolfgang pups are 4 conductor so it is possible to split them. The only wires you will see are a hot and ground but the other two are wrapped where you dont see them. I dont know how to wire a split with the selector those come with though. Someone here will know and maybe chime in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

alright i feel stupid now
    there IS infact 2 wires in the neck PU a black and white

so as for the wolfgang PU's not splitting well. what makes them not?

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lower output usually means lower DC resistance, and therefore a weak split tone. for example, most paf-type pickups(around the 8k range) don't split very well because half of an 8k pickup is a 4k single, which doesn't have very much output or girth to it compared to a real single, which usually has at least 7k of wind on it. i'm sure you could wire up your guitar for splits if you really wanted to, though i don't think it'd be worthwhile to do so. however, if you want to check up a cool substitute, search out artie's coil swap mod. i've got this mod set up in my dot studio which has two 8k pickups, and i can get some very fendery tones out of it.

edit: btw modding a single conductor pickup isn't that hard. all you need is a couple feet of 4 conductor wire, wire strippers, and some good soldering skills. figuring out which wires go to which coil end is what's the hard part
    also, coil taps and coil splits are different things. taps are where there's a break in the coil(s), and you can take part of the coil(s) out of the signal. coil splits just takes half of a humbucker out of the signal.
    Last edited by super rad stuff; 04-29-2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork