Thread: Band thing situation, Should I stay or should I go?

Uptonogood
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Band thing situation, Should I stay or should I go?

So, my brother asked me to play with his band. They play jazz, ska, reggae and latin kind of music, and well figuring it's something I don't play much it would be a great learning experience and if I don't like it it's ok as well. Anything that sharpens those jazz chops is worth paying attention to I guess.

I went today, and left with mixed opinions. First, I didn't like their music. Ska and reggae is music I like to listen to, but I've pretty much figured out by today that unless I'm going to be the next Damian Marley or form something like The Specials, it's not really music I like to play. Latin, well at least since I was the only rocker in there I got to channel my inner Carlos Santana over some salsa tune. As for jazz, I love the main melodies and the chord progressions, but there's only so much wanking saxes I can stand before going crazy. I love the swing of swing and they also played some bossa nova, which I love to play and sing, so that was pretty wicked.

So, if I would stay, I would stay for the learning factor, because I get to play with very different minded musicians and get to play music I wouldn't play much, and maybe for the monetary factor, since they occasionally gig and well, a buck's a buck. Problem is, they're saving up for a demo so the monetary factor pretty much goes to the drain hahaha....but as far as the "creative" factor and the overall vibe, I didn't like it much.

Opinions?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Band thing situation, Should I stay or should I go?

That definitely sounds like the type of band where you'd sharpen your chops.

For me, it's all about the fun, though. Sure, I'd love to be the next Satriani or Van Halen, but I'd be just as happy jamming with my friends. I don't think I'd stick around if I didn't enjoy it.
    It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Skip it. If you're not into it, you're not into it. You can sharpen your skills on music that you enjoy playing. If you don't enjoy playing the music, you're in the wrong band, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not play together a couple more times and then decide?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like playing stuff that is a little outside my comfort zone. However, the stuff you listed is too far outside of my comfort zone to enjoy.

It's kind of like hitting on an ugly chick at the bar. If you aren't into her, it's not going to be any fun.

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

man i'd love to play in your soon-to-maybe-not-be band
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall View Post
    I've done this 3 times. I'm on my phone and drunk right now, so if I haven't responded by tomorrow bump this thread and I'll give you my input :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Skip. Recording a demo will be a pain and cost lots of $/time even if you like what you are doing.
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

if it is gonna cost you money outta pocket for which you do not stand to make a return on the investment, i'd recommend 'pass'

but if playing with them is better than nothing and can expand your ears and chops, i'd say hang in there until something better comes along ... let them know this up front so they can decide how they want to proceed long term ... if you are up front with them, you can wal kin with head held high the day you have to say 'i'm outta here, found something more to my liking, good luck'
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I play in a band that sucks, just to get out of the house and playing guitar, instead of dicking around on the intenet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    i'd say hang in there until something better comes along ... let them know this up front so they can decide how they want to proceed long term
    To me this would be a huge distraction and a waste of time for those in the band that want to take it seriously.

Tell them you aren't interested but keep in contact and try to jam with some of them when it isn't "band time"
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We were mentioning "commitment" as one of the factors in finding band members in another thread.

I've passed on projects before because of the music, or the personnel involved. In the past I've been part of a few projects that I should have outright rejected in the first place. Live and learn.

I always ask myself this question before I start a project: Will we be playing this material live at some point? That is my ultimate goal with any band. If I'm not interested in the music I'd rather not even start something up. I have very little free time as it is, and I'd hate to waste it on something where I'm not 100% dedicated.