Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carvin Pickups

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Carvin Pickups

Has anybody used them?
    It seems everyone either loves them to death or they want to throw them in an incinerator.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Carvin Pickups

ive only heard bad things. never used them myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The M22SD is ok, all the others I have tried suck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i havent been impressed by any of them. they arent awful but i would replace them

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 11-screw vs. 6-screw idea is a nice compromise between the blade and pole piece for combining adjustability with no drop-out on bends. But the screws being so small may make for too thin a magnetic field to get good warmth out of it.

I think the giant Invader hexes make the best overall compromise.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the sweet tone of their C22 vintage humbuckers. But I think their guitars with through body maple necks can sound a little rigid. It would be interesting to find out what their pickups sound like in a mahogany set neck guitar.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Ultimate Tone Member LesPaulRules's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to have two late 80's Carvin Ultra V's with the stock Carvin pickups. (Actually, still own one of the guitars).

Never had a problem with the M22sd and M22n.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here. I honestly love a couple of their humbuckers.

The C22B bridge has output comparable to the custom wind and seems a bit warmer, with more mids than the C5 pup. Never harsh.

The C22J, is also a very good neck pup, abit dark for my all mahog CT3, But close to perfect in my CS4 with a traditional maple cap.
    The no pole covers look great IMO

The AP11 singles are really nice strat-ish type singles.

I've had several Carvins past and present and have spent time with most of their pup lineup. Their current pups are by far the best yet. This is coming from a 70/80's bluesrock with a Marshall type of guy.

FWIW, my CS4 with the Carvin pups has the best tone of any guitar I have ever had, my absolute #1. My CT3 with numerous pups now has only come close at best, so I have been just going for a cool but different voice thing lately, and have yet to find the grail there Both of these are set neck mahog guitars.

I would agree with the maple neck through style super strats as being a bit rigid tonally. Not bad, just different. Their lineup has vastly changed in the last 5 years now, with tons of different models and styles. Shred - jazz is well covered.
    Last edited by lowenzz; 06-23-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Carvin CS4 PG-n/ BBQ-b
    Ibanez AS103NTcustom /Super58's n&b
    G&L ASAT Classic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They make nice paperweights.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone here try their Twinblade Rails? What are they similar to, Cool Rails?

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

I think the C22 is a decent value HB. Not the greatest, but it does the trick. I can think of one particular setup where I preferred it over a DMZ PAF Pro.

I love their AP 11 Strat size SC.

I have not tried the Twinblade. The marketing sounds similar to the cool rails.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have C22's & M22's, in a 335 & a 175, and they're very articulate with nice tones. I think they'd work well in solid body mahogany guitars too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the H22s in my DC127 for a while. I thought that they sounded great... however, they weren't potted- which didn't workout well for my rig.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Super Distortion/ 36th Anni)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Suhr Aldrich/ Slash n)
    2006 PRS McCarty (Tremonti/McCarty Bass)
    Charvel Journeyman (JB)
    EVH 5150 III
    Mesa Recto 412 cab

Technique can be either your boss or your b*tch.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had a LOT of experience with Carvin pickups

I really like the C22B in an all maple older Carvin.
    The M22 SD's built before 1995 with the wire mesh cables also are killers.The newer M22 SD's just don't sound the same. They are harsher prone to feedback and have a different wind.
    The neck pickups are in this order
    C22T while listed as a bridge bucker it has a similar output to a vintage PAF
    H22N solid tones but because of the lack of potting can be microphonic at high gains
    M22 I prefer the old wire mesh shield ones.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-24-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    “Tolerance is the last virtue of a depraved society. When an immoral society has blatantly and proudly violated all the commandments, it insists upon one last virtue, tolerance for its immorality. It will not tolerate condemnation of its perversions. It creates a whole new world in which only the intolerant critic of intolerable evil is evil.”

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IDK, but I've played three Carvin axes that I really liked, Carvin pups and all.

I played a CT6 last week that was SCHWEET!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I really like the C22B in an all maple older Carvin.
    The M22 SD's built before 1995 with the wire mesh cables also are killers.The newer M22 SD's just don't sound the same. They are harsher prone to feedback and have a different wind.
    The neck pickups are in this order
    C22T while listed as a bridge bucker it has a similar output to a vintage PAF
    H22N solid tones but because of the lack of potting can be microphonic at high gains
    M22 I prefer the old wire mesh shield ones.
    Since you seem to be somewhat of an afficianado of all things Carvin (and Washburn), maybe you know how or why they changed from the mounting rings and pickups that had 2 height adjustment screws per side as opposed to now with the 2 on bass side and 1 on treble side. Sucks if you wanted to swap pickups as nobody besides Fender does this with pickups other than some older Matsomoku or Ibanez pickups from the 70's and early 80's.

NoelH

Angry Re: Carvin Pickups

This is interesting 'cause I just got a CS6C (their 'Les Paul' surrogate but with a Floyd).
    I went up to their store in Sacramento and played one with the C22 pickups, and thought they were really sterile sounding. But loved the guitar itself. So, I ordered mine with the M22T and M22V; pickups I've known from other Carvins I've had over the years.
    In this guitar, they are lifeless. Last guitar I had with those pickups was a DC135 with alot of maple in it. Sounded good in it.
    So my CS6C is now in the shop getting a C4 (I have a bunch of other mags from Wymore though). I have been using a CC in my main guitar for years. LOVE that pickup.
    So for me, LOVE Carvin rides, HATE the electronics. Oh, yeah, stupid Tele-style gnurled knobs on a quasi-Gibson-looking ride? Dumber than dirt! Those are also being changed to amber bell knobs, which means, arrgghh, changing the solid shaft pots too.
    Dang it, I'm gonna get this guitar right if it kills me.

All that said, it seems Carvin pickups, from my experience do well in bright (read:Maple) guitars. Go figure; most of their model line is neck-through.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Carvin Pickups

I have a C22T and C22B on my 2002 TL60 and love 'em to death. I just ordered an ST300 with M22's (SD and V) so I'll see how those sound. But for the most part I think the C22 series sounds good. I wish I had more experience with SD pups to compare the C22's with. Maybe someone else can help me out with this.

The only thing that really bugs me, and I'm a die-hard Carvin player, is the fact that they use that offset 2-1 adjustment screw configuration on their pups and pup rings. I wish I knew why they do that.
    Play it like you mean it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by arellanon View Post
    The only thing that really bugs me, and I'm a die-hard Carvin player, is the fact that they use that offset 2-1 adjustment screw configuration on their pups and pup rings. I wish I knew why they do that.
    You and me both. Looks stupid and it is non-standard. At least with their older (read better) design it had 2 adjustment screws per side. That I call innovation. Their current config I do not like at all no matter how good the newer pickups sound.

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's that hard to figure out? The whole idea is to prevent pickup "rocking" so one coil isn't almost touching the strings while the other is almost obscured by the mist of the inversion layer at the bottom of the pu cavity.

They used to make them with 4 mount screws for that purpose but figured out that only 3 are necessary. I've always thought that was a great idea.