Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumble Amps

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dumble Amps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

Anyone of hear one? Whats the deal with them? What makes them so bad ass and cost so much? I know they only made a few and some of them go for $40K now?

Default Re: Dumble Amps

lotsa great players get great tone from them ... lotsa builders have products aimed at getting closer without the price tag .. fantastic for what they are, but not the end all and be all for everyone's tone objectives ... there is a dealer local here who owns two but wont sell em or even rent em - so i never got to play one

i know that they are a typical poostorm starter over at the gear page ... we havent had that topic starting drama here - hope it stays that way
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

never been to gear page - there was a write up in Guitar Player Mag that mentioned them. Is there something different in the way they are wired? Something about the tubes?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of Dumble "clones" (versions of) out there. Supposedly a sweet amp. I have never played one, but some guitarists with great ears love them. The real Dumbles cost a lot of $ because they are rare and "original." Even the clones cost a lot! Much more reading around the web if you google.
    Do YOU get ToneWoodys? Then go to WoodyTone.com!

And check out my NEW blog too: AmpGAS!

Popular WoodyTone blog posts:
    > Is the New EVH Pickup ‘the’ Pickup? Sorta!
    > Review: EVH Frankie Pickup Worth Every Penny

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have played through a few of them and they are really quite nice. Alexander Dumble is a great amp builder and from what I have heard quite eccentric. He likes to listen to a player who is buying an amp from him so he can voice it to their playing style. It literally can be made for an individual. Is it worth the cost!!! I personally don't think any amp is worth over 10K. The couple of Dumbles I played thru were really nice no question, but they wern't 8K better then anything else I played through.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

note mr dumble no longer builds anything and he barely even services the one's he has out there unless your name is larry carlton or robben ford or eric johnson or carlos santana ... there are something like fewer than 400 of these in the world
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a lot of mis information on teh WWW about HAD...for one thing he does still build amps but they are built on a custom order basis only and he does decline to build a lot of people amps...

I've played through a few original Dumbles as well as a few clones and the truth is many of the clones sound as good as a real Dumble and the other truth is that to my ears there is little amazing about a Dumble except the fact that some fools will pay such high prices for them...

Get a Twin Reverb, load it with Celestion G1265's and get a Zen drive and you're ready to go for a LOT less money!

I played a gig a few years ago with a guy that had spent thousands on a matched pair of Dumble clones from some obscure builder...he had matching cabs and original G1265's in the cabs...I rolled up with a beat up SF Twin Reverb, a Pro Co Rat on all the time and an SD-1 used as a lead boost and I smoked his tone...funniest part to me is he even admitted it!
    Proudly Klon free!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's one builder with a solid reputation: Brown Note's D'Lite. There are sound clips at the bottom of the page. Not having heard a real Dumble, I don't know how close these are. Available as an amp or a kit (with decent or better support).

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the key to the Dumble tone is that it has such touch sensitivity; and it is has such an organic feel. The notes are full, yet almost liquid...very hard to describe in words. The sustain on clean tones is amazing, and you can really hear the tubes work and change as the notes decay. The overdrive is very, very smooth.

I've had two chances to buy Dumbles back in the day, back when they only cost what a good boutique amp costs today. I love my Mesa amps, but no doubt about it--these are very special amps, and very worthy of their reputation.

Bill

Super Toneologist Archer_of_Fish's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have played through a Steel String Singer and an overdrive special. ****ed amazing sounding amps, but the legend is far better than the real thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what i've heard if you dig that Larry Carlton/Robben Ford subtle and tasty overdrive they're pretty hard to beat

Human powerplant Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Carlton sounds like that no matter what setup he uses
    Saw him with a Twin reissue amp and his Zendrive....well he sounded like Larry ok
    Not gonna miss you know!
    Information is not knowledge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bludave View Post
    I have played through a few of them and they are really quite nice. Alexander Dumble is a great amp builder and from what I have heard quite eccentric. He likes to listen to a player who is buying an amp from him so he can voice it to their playing style. It literally can be made for an individual. Is it worth the cost!!! I personally don't think any amp is worth over 10K. The couple of Dumbles I played thru were really nice no question, but they wern't 8K better then anything else I played through.
    Howard Dumble, would only sell you one after he heard your demo tape or recording. From what I understand the components were standard with standard tolerances i.e. nothing special. Oh, sure the story goes that Howard pushed one off of a -- story building to show the durability of his amps (and only the tubes broke, but the amp still worked), but again nothing special in the design to the point where he had to put black epoxy resin over the circuit board to protect his patented design like with the Klon Centaur pedal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rid View Post
    Carlton sounds like that no matter what setup he uses
    Saw him with a Twin reissue amp and his Zendrive....well he sounded like Larry ok
    Yep, saw him just a month ago and he sounded smoking good through that exact set-up...
    My own brew of acoustic folk-music:
    Myspace
    Facebook
    Youtube
    Buy digital or physical album
    Or you can just PM me...
    Thanks for listening...

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Go to an opthamologist and get your damn ears cleaned out!

Ultimate Tone Slacker drpietrzak's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never seen one, other than a picture. Certainly the mystic is massive. I think many of the pedal makers today will get a lot of what I have heard described as the Dumble responsiveness with a good clean amp.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a video on youtube with a guy named Peter Lerche playing a Flaxwood guitar thru a Dumble 100 watt head with the master on 1. You can hear some Fender Type tones then some clear sustaining Fat Fenderish tones, then some crystal clear fat blues then crunch and then some serious overdrive but very pure harmonics,sort of like Eric Johnson's tone, maybe even better,although this guy is just demoing the amp and not playing anywhere NEAR the level of EJ,you can hear the amazing crystal clear distortion of the amp. Also Dumble was one of the very FIRST to offer hi gain in an amp along with Randall Smith from Mesa Boogie. Metal players looking for "BRUTAL" prob. wouldn't like this amp,more for people who want hi gain with no fizz or fuzz or narly harmonics. So the tones and the fact that few were made and played by some famous players have made these amps big time collector's items, but for sheer tones you may be able to get close for much less, so tonewise a 1964 Strat isn't worth 40k and tonewise these aren't either, but they are really cool and set a benchmark for other builders. Hey do I get Extra Credit for this essay or what ?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"amazing crystal clear distortion"? Something's not quite right about that phrase... and based on YouTube audio quality?

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd rather go for a Fuchs or something and there are plenty of clones out there. Joe Bonamassa rocks a Dumble clone that sounds sick.
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Word has it that Fender's Concert amp's OD channel from 1993 was based around the Dumble thing. Anyone know more about these amps?
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda surprised me that Eric Johnson was no longer using the Dumble stuff when we saw him live a couple of years back....He had his Marshall stack and smaller Fender combos behind him....They looked like Deluxe Reverb amps...He probably chooses to not use the Dumble amps on the road,but uses them in the studio?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.