Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does my Duncan Designed Tele Stack hum always?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why does my Duncan Designed Tele Stack hum always?

Hello,

I bought a new Squier Vintage Modified SH Telecaster 11 months ago.  I love it as much as my other Squier and Fender telecaster guitars.  The guitar has shielding paint on the inside. I also put a shield under the pick guard. The problem that I have, is that the bridge pickup has the 60 cycle hum like a standard single coil and I don't think it should.  I believe it may have been wired wrong at the factory.  I can't find Squier wiring diagrams on www.fender.com, but I did download and save the wiring diagram from www.squierguitars.com before it went off line. By the way, I email Fender but they have not responded.

The guitar has:
    Duncan Designed HB 102 humbucker (4 wire) in the neck.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ssive-2/hb102/
    Duncan Designed TE-103B Stack (4 wire) in the bridge.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ssive-2/te103/

Before www.squierguitars.com went off line, I downloaded the wiring diagram, which indicates:
    Neck pickup:
    White/Red ---> together
    Green ---> switch
    Black ---> ground
    Bridge pickup:
    Green/Red ---> together
    White ---> switch
    Black ---> ground

The factory wired my neck pickup as indicated above (and in the Squier wiring diagram), but the factory actually wired the bridge pickup this way:
    Bridge pickup (actual):
    White/Red ---> together
    Green ---> switch
    Black ---> ground

I found a wiring diagram for a 2 Humbucker Telecaster on the Seymour Duncan web site which indicates the following:
    Neck pickup:
    White/Red ---> together
    Black ---> switch
    Green & Bare ---> ground
    Bridge pickup:
    Green/Red ---> together
    Black ---> switch
    Green & Bare ---> ground

Also, I measured the following resistances:
    Neck position 7.27K
    Middle position 4.33K
    Bridge position 10.15K

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get rid of the hum on the bridge pickup?

Thank you very much for you time and effort,
    James64

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sorry to dig up an old post, but I thought I could help with people who might have this problem in the future. I had this same problem with this same guitar, bought a Dimarzio Area T thinking it might have been the pickup, but alas the Dimarzio had the same problem. Turns out Squire didn't bother to ground the bridge on this guitar. Seems kind of pointless to go through all the trouble to make this nice hum free tele and guarantee that it will always hum by not grounding the bridge. Anyways, I grounded the bridge, problem solved.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Leo's traditional Tele grounding path is/was bridge plate, screws, pickup baseplate, ground wire, pot chassis, another grounding wire, output jack socket. It is crude but it is also foolproof.

Removing the metal plate from the underside of the Tele lead pickup mucks up the grounding path.