Thread: Single coil or stacked humbucker for my strat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Single coil or stacked humbucker for my strat.

Hi all.

I have two JBJr's in bridge and neck position of my MIM standart Fender strat. Manual says that you need the black and green wires on JBJr to be reversed, but in my guitar with stock middle ceramic fender pickup It wasn't needed. Now everything is in phase in positions 2 and 4 (green wires to volume pot and black wires to the 5 way switch).

I want to change middle pickup for another single coil or stacked humbucker that sounds like single coil. Should I take neck or middle-RW/RP version of pickup? Does it matters when combining with two humbuckers without splitting coils? I would like to get maybe Antiquity II Surfer for strat. Will it sound in phase with my JBJr's? How should I connect it (and which to get, neck or RW/RP)?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Single coil or stacked humbucker for my strat.

welcome to the forum!!

i have no idea. the surfer is a fantastic pup but honestly im not sure which one you would need. maybe frank or evan will chime in and have a definitive answer for you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're not splitting the outside pickups, then I would recommend the Classic Stack Plus. It will be silent, and offer the "pole piece" vintage strat tone. The Vintage Rails and Duckbuckers are okay too, but since you're asking for the truest single coil tone, the Classic Stack Plus is the thing. Since they're all Duncans, you don't have to concern yourself with phasing issues, and since they're hum cancelling, you don't have to worry about RWRP. The middle Classic Stack Plus is RWRP, but it's of no concern to you if you aren't splitting the outside pickups.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking about Classic Stack too. Maybe that's the way. I always wanted one hum free strat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    If you're not splitting the outside pickups, then I would recommend the Classic Stack Plus. It will be silent, and offer the "pole piece" vintage strat tone. The Vintage Rails and Duckbuckers are okay too, but since you're asking for the truest single coil tone, the Classic Stack Plus is the thing. Since they're all Duncans, you don't have to concern yourself with phasing issues, and since they're hum cancelling, you don't have to worry about RWRP. The middle Classic Stack Plus is RWRP, but it's of no concern to you if you aren't splitting the outside pickups.
    I have just bought Classic stack plus for Middle and neck And Hot stack plus for bridge, and eihter the neck or middle and bridge where wound out of phase. I have to take care to get them all in phase even though they are all Seymour Duncans...
    Another question, will they sound "duller" in pos. 2 and 4 since they operate in "double" humbucking mode with the middle being RWRP?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    What if you have a humbucker in the bridge and you split it with the middle pickup? I was going to do a classic stack middle and classic stack + bridge in the neck with a CC bridge p'up.

Asshatologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by papersoul View Post
    What if you have a humbucker in the bridge and you split it with the middle pickup? I was going to do a classic stack middle and classic stack + bridge in the neck with a CC bridge p'up.
    You will have hum if you split the humbucker with the middle pickup. You will basically have noise from the single coil side of the humbucker and have a noiseless middle pickup sitting there humbucking itself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    You will have hum if you split the humbucker with the middle pickup. You will basically have noise from the single coil side of the humbucker and have a noiseless middle pickup sitting there humbucking itself.
    Right now I have a PG bridge humbucker and a Texas Special in the middle. No hum at all!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pawelt View Post
    Hi all.

I have two JBJr's in bridge and neck position of my MIM standart Fender strat. Manual says that you need the black and green wires on JBJr to be reversed, but in my guitar with stock middle ceramic fender pickup It wasn't needed. Now everything is in phase in positions 2 and 4 (green wires to volume pot and black wires to the 5 way switch).

I want to change middle pickup for another single coil or stacked humbucker that sounds like single coil. Should I take neck or middle-RW/RP version of pickup? Does it matters when combining with two humbuckers without splitting coils? I would like to get maybe Antiquity II Surfer for strat. Will it sound in phase with my JBJr's? How should I connect it (and which to get, neck or RW/RP)?
    Fender by default is in reverse phase compared to SSLs/APSs. Antiquities are Fender polarity, a non-RWRP Surfer is hum-canceling when combined with a non-RWRP SSL1 or APS1.

If you want hum canceling in the notch positions with split humbuckers, then you will have to use the right coil in the humbucker. Example: with the non-RWRP you will have to use the slug coil and withh RWRP you'll have to use the screw coil. Or vice versa depending on which single coil.

So if you want to go through the trouble, then you need to see which coil you like better in the humbucker, then get whatever is RWRP relative to that, which is different for different single coils.

Personally I'd flip a coin. I cannot image that the JB Jr. shows large differences between screw and slug coil.

Asshatologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by papersoul View Post
    Right now I have a PG bridge humbucker and a Texas Special in the middle. No hum at all!
    That is because your Middle pickup is reverse polarity to the on coil of your humbucker which "in grumpy terms"...

Makes "the now on-coil" of your humbucker combined with the middle pickup single coil.. a humbucker... when you have it on position 2.

Anywho... on to your question about Stacked single coils... You shouldn't split a humbucker if you want a stacked humbucker in the middle... unless you split the stacked humbucker... which doesn't sound all that good in my experience.

Don't ask for help and then try to help my help. :P
    Last edited by grumptruck; 08-05-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grumpy........I thought when i have my strat in position 2, it would be the one coil of the humbucker and the middle single. The bridge bucker is a Duncan. I was thinking of trying a Duncan CC but I don't know if it will be too hot for the singles. For this reason I was thinking of Jeremy's recommendation of the Classic stacks.......but I don't see why I'd have to split them.