Thread: Seeking info on SDS-1.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down Seeking info on SDS-1.

First of all, I know this is the Duncan forum but nobody
    over at the DM forum seems to have any particular knowledge
    about this one.

I'm considering it, mainly in the bridge, in my new Strat
    and I'm a little curious if anyone else has any experience with it.

I know Jake E Lee used them in the neck/middle positions, but
    that's not the same thing really.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeking info on SDS-1.

i have one and really like it. nice fat single coil strat tone with a little p90 flavor. i think it sounds its best in the bridge. in the neck it works with humbuckers but its really hard to match up with other single coils.

Ultimate Tone Member BigDreamer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got one in the neck of one of my strats, matched with an Air Zone, and it really puts out a lot of punch and bass. I could easily see it being a very solid bridge pup. Much like jeremy said, it's a super fat single coil sound with a lot of p-90 pizazz.

What are you thinking of throwing the the neck/middle positions?
    Gear:
    Main Guitar Rig
    2007 L.E. MusicMan JP-7 Blue Dawn
    2005 Fender J.V. Strat- AirZone/SDS-1
    80's MIJ Fender Strat- HHS- EMG85/85/SA
    Mesa/Boogie Trem-O-Verb Dual Rectifier Head EL-34s
    Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab V-30s
    Morley Limited Edition Bad Horsie Wah
    Peterson StroboStomp Tuner

Ultimate Tone Slacker muttznmongrelz's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got 2 in my Warmoth "SRV" Tribute (Neck & Bridge hooked to a Fender TBX Tone) and another in the neck of my Gunslinger/Assassin paired up w/a DiMarzio Tone Zone F...ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!!

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...istortion/10/1

Product: DiMarzio SDS-1 Super Distortion

Features :
    Pickup features: Super Distortion Single Coil, Passive
    Impedence or other specs: No idea...

Instrument :
    Model of guitar or bass: Fender Japan Floyd Rose Strat originally...now they're about to go into a Warmoth Project
    Position: all positions
    Pickup being replaced: Crappy Fender Single Coils...
    Other pickups on guitar: Duncan 1/4lber RWRP Middle Position hooked up to a TBX Tone Control
    Artists using this pickup: I've got 3 of them, one has the "Patent Applied For Sticker" underneath.
    You musical style(s): Various...but these cover the gammit!
    Reason for pickup change: I hate...let me restate...HATE...single coils...weakass low output and noisy hum.

Sound : No Opinion
    Perceived output level: Powerful...overdriven...gritty...SRV TONE all the way IMHO.
    Tone: Bassy and Middy but still capable of a bit o sparkle on the top end...not much but still retain some single coil characteristics.
    Sonic evaluation: BEEFY...plenty of BALLS. I have these mounted in the Neck and Bridge Positions of a Fender SRV Pickguard that I had modified to accept a Floyd Rose Bridge. Put a RWRP Duncan 1/4lber in the middle hooked up to a TBX Tone Control. I absolutely love the SDS1s...the bridge is an old creme colored "Patent Applied For" Stickered Monster, the neck is a newer one that sounds identical and gives a spunky cool gritty blues vibe...plenty of power in each position. I've adjusted all the polepieces to the same height so that the necka nd bridge are approx identical in sound and output. I took a chance on these w/o ever having heard them and really am pleased w/the results...I couldn't even think of another pickup that has/could come as any where near having the SRV Tone that these do through my '78 Marshall JMP 2x12 Celestion Greenback equipped Combo. Plug straight into the amp. No more searching for "that tone". THESE PICKUPS HAVE IT!!!

For which styles and positions is this pickup (un)suitable: SRV, Chili Peppers, Nirvana, EVH, Hendrix, Jazz/Fusion/Blues...Classic Rock/Alternative/Heavy Metal

Overall Rating : 10
    Comments: These are the HOLY GRAIL of Single Coil Pickups...I've put one in the neck position of my BC Rich Gunslinger to match up w/the Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge...these are the perfect single coils. I parted out and sold off the Fender Japan 1985 HM Neck/1990 Sunburst Quilt Foto-Flame Bodied guitar that I originally put the SRV Pickguard upon and have accumulated the parts to commision assembly of a custom built one of a kind SRV Tribute Guitar...new Warmoth Maple Fretboard Neck/2 Piece Alder Body in Candy Tangerine, WD KKT Floyd Rose w/a massive Brass Sustain Block...and the SDS1 Equipped SRV Pickguard.

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 07-30-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    MuttznMongrelz
    Recovering G.A.S.-aholic

1988 Jackson Soloist Custom
    2013 Warmoth Stratocaster Deluxe
    2013 USACG Iceman
    1992 Peavey 5150 Combo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Product: Warmoth SRV Tribute
    Price Paid: US $850.00
    Submitted 09/30/2003 at 10:22am by guitaraddict13

Features : 9
    2003 Warmoth Maple Cap Fretboard Neck...Small Strat Headstock Shape, Standard Thin Back, 10-16" Fretboard Radius, 1 11/16 Floyd Nut (Rear Screws through neck type), 6115 Stainless Steel Frets, Satin Finished with a nice looking black "Jackson" Reproduction Logo.

2003 Warmoth Strat Body...Alder, Top Routed for Classic Strat Set Up-3 Single Coils and Electronics under a pickguard, Top Mounted/Non-Recessed Original Floyd Rose Route, Neck Pocket angled 1.5 Degrees to accomodate low action on Top Mount Floyd, Finished in a sweet custom Candy Tangerine color (thank you Warmoth Thrift Shop).

Electronics...New Fender SRV Pickguard cut to accomodate Floyd Rose Bridge, Vintage Late 70s/Early 80s Dimarzio SDS1 Super Distortion Single Coils in Neck and Bridge ("Patent Applied For" Stickered), RWRP Duncan Quarter Pounder Flat,both neck and middle pickups are hooked up to a Fender TBX Tone Control, Fender Vol/Tone/Tone Knobs w/5 Way Switch Tip (all in black), Black Screws on the pickguard, Chrome Screws for Pickup Mounts.

Set up w/.10-.46 Strings.

Pretty standard stuff...but all the right components for an 80's Type Vintage Superstrat Conversion that'll cover a lot of musical territory tonewise. Could have used Active Pickups, Boosts, etc....but wanted to keep this as simple as possible...therefore I'll give it a 9.

Sound : 10
    Sweet, raw, raunchy, rude, gritty, overdriven...absolutely nails SRV "Texas Flood" Tone through my old stock Marshall JMP 2x12 Tube Amp...w/o a pedal in between the guitar and the amp. Every thing I've read says that the Dimarzio SDS1 Pickups are noisy...but I'd disagree on that issue. They're quiter than most stock strat pickups I've used/owned...w/the possible exception of Jackson J100 Single Coils. They are the HOLY GRAIL of SINGLE COIL PICKUPS! Love the sounds I'm able to produce. Good for everything from Sparkly Clean (Position 3), Blues (Positions 2 & 4) to Rock/Heavy Metal (Positions 1 &5...as the SDS1s sound pretty much like a Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker if you overdrive them and put a Tone Zone Pedal in front of them)...the SDS1s combined w/the Quarter Pounder, TBX and 5 Way make for a killer range of sounds!

Overall Rating : 10
    Absolutely satisfied by this guitar. I'd been trying to put this SRV Floyd Rose Strat Project together for over a year and a half...accumulating parts, trying to find the right body:neck fit...after buying and reselling a 1990 Fender Japan Fotoflame Body, 2 1980's Kramer Pacer Bodies and 2 Mighty Mite Bodies in a cost cutting effort...I finally got fed up and bought a new Warmoth Strat Body to go w/the new Warmoth Maple Fretboard Neck...which is what I should have done to begin with.

I'm very happy w/this guitar and couldn't have ask for anything more in having it assembled for me. I've got two other Floyd Rose Superstrats, a 1991 BC Rich Gunslinger and a 1988/1989 Custom Kramer Elliot Easton Pro 1/Pacer Imperial Parts Mongrel and this one hangs tough w/them...each has a specific purpose and is different in pickup combinations etc...the Gunslinger has an EVH Vibe-Maple Board, SDS1 Neck & Tone Zone Bridge P/Us, the EE Imperial-Duncan Pearly Gates Neck & Custom Custom Bridge and then there's "Stevie"

This guitar is a unique standout Candy Tangerine color body w/a Maple Fretboard Strat Headstock neck, Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets, Fender SRV Pickguard loaded w/kickass aftermarket pickups, all Black Hardware and a Floyd w/a fat brass sustain block...what else could I possibly want? It's a high quality custom assembled one of a kind guitar...built to my specs. It's MY SIGNATURE MODEL! BUILD YOUR OWN GUITAR....the WAY YOU WANT IT. Barring this being destroyed or stolen, this was/is my final guitar project. I've got a Squier Venus that's been modded to my tastes, an Ibanez AF75 Hollowbody Jazz Box and an Alvarez Yairi DY53 Acoustic, a late 70s Marshall JMP 2x12 Combo Amp and a couple of pedals...I'm happy w/everything I own...this guitar satisfied my "jones" for a Custom/Personalized Strat Headstock Maple Board SRV Floyd Guitar...and is my absolute favorite of all my "guitarsenal".

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 07-30-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    MuttznMongrelz
    Recovering G.A.S.-aholic

2013 USACG Iceman
    1992 Peavey 5150 Combo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had one in the bridge position of 76 heavy ash bodied strat I used in the mid 80's.
    I was chasing the tone Bernie Torme' got on his "Electric Gypsies" and Live albums,and that was exactly what I got. It's a pickup with lots of everything tone wise. Great for biting pick harmonics. A very "brash" sounding pickup. But they can sound bloody awful with the wrong type of distortion added.

Cheers,PJ

Jay 77

Have had them in the neck/middle, as well as bridge positions and they're a great pickup if you want a full, somewhat aggressive sound from a single coil. Plenty of bite in the bridge position, and all kids of beef in the middle or neck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the reviews/evaluations I've read on these since finding them and using them really equates them to having a "P90" Type sound.
    MuttznMongrelz
    Recovering G.A.S.-aholic

2013 USACG Iceman
    1992 Peavey 5150 Combo

WGTP

I used to have one in a strat with FS-1's in the middle and neck. I was using a dark PV amp and had trouble getting enough treble out of it. But with other amps, it is probably fine. Might need a pot larger than 250k.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is the clean tone?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very well "rounded"/balanced in both guitars through my Marshall JMP 2x12. Sounds great in both the neck & bridge.
    MuttznMongrelz
    Recovering G.A.S.-aholic

2013 USACG Iceman
    1992 Peavey 5150 Combo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you guys don't happen to have any soundclips do you ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately, I do not have sound clips. Sorry. The DiMarzio Website might.
    MuttznMongrelz
    Recovering G.A.S.-aholic

2013 USACG Iceman
    1992 Peavey 5150 Combo

Jay 77

Sorry, no clips here either, but I may be able to make some this weekend if I can steal some time. PM me if you want.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ordered one earlier today

guess I'll put the Area '61 in the middle for now and see
    how things work out

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have to be careful-

The new SDS-1 Super D is a single coil sized SuperD- the pickups Jake used are an entirely different pickup are a true single coil and haven't been made for years (notice he also reverse angled them to get less bass/more bite- in a standard strat configuration they sound good, but def not as punchy or biting)
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The SDS-1 is still offered on the Dimarzio website.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    You have to be careful-

The new SDS-1 Super D is a single coil sized SuperD- the pickups Jake used are an entirely different pickup are a true single coil and haven't been made for years (notice he also reverse angled them to get less bass/more bite- in a standard strat configuration they sound good, but def not as punchy or biting)
    nah, I'm cool
    it's one of the older style ones DP111 whereas the Super Distortion S goes by DP218

as for Jake having them angled, I'll just put it in and see how it works out