Thread: Floyd Rose trouble

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floyd Rose trouble

I have played a Floyd equipped guitar for quite some time. I never had trouble setting them up, until recently. I picked up a Jackson DK2M, which seems to be a fantastic playing guitar all around. But, no matter what I have tried, this darn bridge keeps placing ALL the strings sequentially sharp or flat. Every string stays in tune with each other but goes sharp or flat, randomly.

Just general playing without using the trem can cause this effect.

All the basics are covered from the bridge being level with the body, nuts nice and tight, strings stretched, etc.

I am just at a loss at this point. Only thing I can think of is maybe bad knife edges or bad springs? Only problem is the guitar is brand new. I wouldn't think those should be issues?

Thanks for any help

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Floyd Rose trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Ahpook View Post
    I have played a Floyd equipped guitar for quite some time. I never had trouble setting them up, until recently. I picked up a Jackson DK2M, which seems to be a fantastic playing guitar all around. But, no matter what I have tried, this darn bridge keeps placing ALL the strings sequentially sharp or flat. Every string stays in tune with each other but goes sharp or flat, randomly.

Just general playing without using the trem can cause this effect.

All the basics are covered from the bridge being level with the body, nuts nice and tight, strings stretched, etc.

I am just at a loss at this point. Only thing I can think of is maybe bad knife edges or bad springs? Only problem is the guitar is brand new. I wouldn't think those should be issues?

Thanks for any help

Im guessing the knife edges are going dull
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    1989 PRS custom 24 10 top
    1986 Laney AOR "Pro Tube" 100MV
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    Im guessing the knife edges are going dull

+1 Yep, most likely...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    +1 Yep, most likely...
    +3 on the edges

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was afraid that might be the problem even though it is new.

Is Warmoth about the most dependable service to order a OFR if I decide to go that route?

Thanks again

BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is odd, someone else posted the same problem on the Jackson forum but with an RR3.
    I'll say to you what I said to them - the guitar is brand new, take it back and have the shop sort it out.
    I've got 4 import Jacksons, including a DK2M, and none of them have this issue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    This is odd, someone else posted the same problem on the Jackson forum but with an RR3.
    I'll say to you what I said to them - the guitar is brand new, take it back and have the shop sort it out.
    I've got 4 import Jacksons, including a DK2M, and none of them have this issue.
    Just took a look over there and that sounds like it may be the same problem.

By the way, I say new but the guitar is actually about 4 or 5 months old. I will call the shop in a bit and see what they say.

Thanks

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the same problem on a RX10D I have. It turned out to have a small burr on the one ofthe knife edges. I smoothed it up and it hasn't given me any problem since.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntermb View Post
    I had the same problem on a RX10D I have. It turned out to have a small burr on the one ofthe knife edges. I smoothed it up and it hasn't given me any problem since.
    Yeah, I just got my tools ready and settling in for a dig at this guitar. I don't play it often, mostly a Strat player but would enjoy a good guitar for the occasional wankfest

I'm thinking it is something like you described.

Thanks again everyone

theodie

Its a floating trem, this is a common problem and the price you pay for a floating setup. Licensed or not.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like i found the trouble. The studs that the knife edge sits on are terribly loose. They wobble around in the hole quite a bit. The knife edges are sharp and the stud itself is in good shape, just very loose sitting in their hole.

What would be the best remedy for this problem?

Thanks again

On edit: To clarify, there is a metal sleeve that they pressed into the drilled hole which contains threads on the inside of the sleeve. The stud itself screws into the sleeve, which of course makes for a bridge mount and string height adjustments. Only problem is, the studs wobble in there by a fair amount no matter how far i have them threaded. I'd say they wobble by a good 1/8 of an inch inside this sleeve
    Last edited by Ahpook; 08-23-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

with some Jacksons i've had issues with the trem posts being sloppy... the posts rocked around in the breeze and would move slightly when using the trem... i upgraded to better machined inserts and posts from Stewmac and it solved 90% of the tuning issues i was having...

just my 2 cents

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoFan View Post
    with some Jacksons i've had issues with the trem posts being sloppy... the posts rocked around in the breeze and would move slightly when using the trem... i upgraded to better machined inserts and posts from Stewmac and it solved 90% of the tuning issues i was having...

just my 2 cents

I have an old Washburn with a nice Floyd in it, but would rather not start parting out. I may just order the posts from Stewie.

I suppose the 11/32 post is the right fit for a Jackson?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about trying a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the posts, it might just tighten things up

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntermb View Post
    How about trying a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the posts, it might just tighten things up
    That would be a temporary fix

Rather not start into that mess. Thinking Stewie is getting a call?

Thanks again everyone

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theodie View Post
    Its a floating trem, this is a common problem and the price you pay for a floating setup. Licensed or not.
    That's just not true at all.

The hardware on that guitar has a one year warranty. Make them fix it. You paid enough for that guitar that you shouldn't have to sink any more money into it for something that wasn't your fault.
    It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also check the nut as well, I've seen a couple of floyd rose equipped guitars where the nut wasn't screwed into the wood tight enough, and would move back and forth whenever the trem was used, or some bending was done. I'm not talking about the nut clamps, but the entire nut. I knew a guy that had a Steve vai Jem that he hasn't been playing for the last 5 years cause it wouldn't stay in tune....turns out the nut wasn't tight!

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Warheart View Post
    Also check the nut as well, I've seen a couple of floyd rose equipped guitars where the nut wasn't screwed into the wood tight enough, and would move back and forth whenever the trem was used, or some bending was done. I'm not talking about the nut clamps, but the entire nut. I knew a guy that had a Steve vai Jem that he hasn't been playing for the last 5 years cause it wouldn't stay in tune....turns out the nut wasn't tight!
    yes i've had issues like this with the lock nuts before... you could see a gap open up where the nut and fingerboard meet... the nut would rock back towards the headstock when i dove with the bar

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahpook View Post
    That would be a temporary fix

Rather not start into that mess. Thinking Stewie is getting a call?

Thanks again everyone
    Well I didn't say it was a fool proof idea

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the shop to put in some new trem posts earlier today. I got it put together and strung up and all seems well