Thread: Univox U65G amplifier? anyone know anything?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Univox U65G amplifier? anyone know anything?

so ive had this amp for about 7-8 years, and when i first got it (as a gift) i never used it. it has no distortion so to my young ears it was worthless. i never bothered with it. since then ive gotten alot more picky about tones, and dont use half as much distortion. i wasnt getting the sounds i wanted out of my halfstack so i figured what the crap, ill plug this thing in, see what i can do

ho-ly ****!! i love the sound of this amp! i wish i knew i had something this amazing sitting untouched next to my bed!

so does anyone know anything about it or the Univox company in general? ive found that its a 50 watt solid state amp, and that it rips with the right od pedal. one tone knob, one volume, a reverb knob and two knobs for the built in tremolo. one input for guitar, one for mic, and one for organ.

i know plenty of people who have found gems in other peoples attics and basements, but i bet im one of only a handful of idiots who found a gem they already had next to their bed
    requiemofashes.bandcamp.com <- long island swede style melodeath

http://lucksrevenge.bandcamp.com/ <- my old band, hardcore/southern rock mix of big riffs and screaming

owner of RocketSauce Studios...we're awesome

Ibanez Premium RG927->whole mess o'pedals->Mesa/Boogie Mark V->Mesa big ass 412=lovely death metal tones

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Univox U65G amplifier? anyone know anything?

I used to own one- wish I still did. The reverb rocked, and it sounded good with a distortion pedal. The trem was nice to...and it stayed clean all the way up.

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the online Univox reference: http://www.univox.org/

Not much on there about your amp, but there's a lot of good info about everything Univox. I designed the cosmetics of my DIY combo after Univox's 2-tone blue scheme of the Group B tube amps.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah thats the first website i saw, and when i couldnt find what i was looking for i came here. i know that the picture for the U66G amp is not the amp i have, although it is the description of my amp

http://lucksrevenge.bandcamp.com/ <- my old band, hardcore/southern rock mix of big riffs and screaming

Ibanez Premium RG927->whole mess o'pedals->Mesa/Boogie Mark V->Mesa big ass 412=lovely death metal tones

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Univox was a company in Westbury (Long Island) NY, who imported musical instruments & amps (including Marshall). They're now known as Korg USA.

Most of the ones with their trademark were MIJ by Aria.

My first "serious" guitar was a Univox Badass, with an early serial number (#001952).

"Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well that explains why i got one for so cheep, im from long island, right by westbury

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Here's the online Univox reference: http://www.univox.org/

Not much on there about your amp, but there's a lot of good info about everything Univox. I designed the cosmetics of my DIY combo after Univox's 2-tone blue scheme of the Group B tube amps.
    I have a blue 1246b, one of the coolest looking amps ever made!!

My two 1246B heads are never going anywhere. Just love the tone. Beautiful medium breakup, full and round. Totally suprised at lthe sonic mojo they have.

Ultimate Tone Slacker drpietrzak's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Univox small watt of some unknown tube type It is on the shelf here...

http://drpietrzak.com/music/UKF.JPG
    http://drpietrzak.com/music/UKB.JPG

Clean and quiet. It appears to be about 3 watts. I have never been able to get the tremolo to work. I have been thinking of making it into a head for the home studio. I have never found much out about them but like the thing for a nice clean.
    Last edited by drpietrzak; 09-01-2009 at 07:18 PM.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM Vetteboy - I think he has something like that

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I have a blue 1246b, one of the coolest looking amps ever made!!

My two 1246B heads are never going anywhere. Just love the tone. Beautiful medium breakup, full and round. Totally suprised at lthe sonic mojo they have.
    I've got one as well. I use it with my Vox Tonelab and the sound is incredible. I use it with an Earcandy Buzzbomb for practice. When I see guys posting stuff on this forum like "what's a good amp for $500, $300 or what have you, I have to giggle a little bit. Years ago I used to recommend this amp or any other similar Univox and I basically got ridiculed. I've stopped, but I still smile when I see it. Same thing for small practice amps. Heck, I use my U45B to record nearly everything. Great amps.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NevermindUs View Post
    well that explains why i got one for so cheep, im from long island, right by westbury
    I know this doesn't help, but here are a few pics on my U1246B 60 watt "bass" amp that sounds every bit as good as a non-master Marshall. Actually, my strat sounds great through it, better than through my 73 Marshall. I've since cleaned it up, this was when I first unpacked it. The smaller amp in my U45B which is on all of the recordings in my link below. On the song "Rain", the feedback guitar in the beginning is that little amp. I never use any pedals, it's just the amp turned up to "11"

If you can, post a pic of your amp. I'd love to see it, and someone may be able to give you more info on it if they recognize it.

My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a two channel version of that U45 (or something like it with trem) and that thing kicks butt when you jump the bright and normal channels...

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not much monetary value, of course. But if you, or anybody you know plays lap or pedal steel.... Who knows, like you say, might have found a gem. Try it through a decent speaker cab with good speakers.
    Good Luck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i got a U-1226 (i think) head and cab best kept secret in my arsenal
    Guitars:
    JT200c les paul copy( jazzn,59n b);
    MIM Fender Sunburst Strat.
    Gibson Lp Standard cherry burst.
    Traynor YCV-50 Blue
    Univox 1226 tube head2X12 cab.

Life is too short for bad tone…

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had (and still have the head portion, I think) a Univox model 65 from 1977. It put out about 50 watts (the aforementioned Univox website says it put out 20 watts, but on the back of mine it reads 50 watts RMS) through one 12" speaker with an aluminum dust cap. I used that through a good deal of college. It had a fairly decent clean tone (from what I remember), though not as full sounding as a Fender, and a pretty cool overdrive tone, though not as punchy as a Marshall. It had a spring reverb (which was handy playing "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring, since I'd go pick it up and drop it an inch or so onto the table to get that crashing noise before the bass solo starts....Hey, you make do in a pinch!) and a "clipping" circuit that would introduce distortion into the signal.

About 3 years after I bought that amp, I was thumbing through the pages of my monthly Guitar Player Magazine and there was an advertisement for a brand of amplifiers called Stage, which had the exact same color scheme and layout as my Univox. I assumed that they'd changed the name and started over again. I never saw too many Univox amps after that.
    Last edited by Hellion; 09-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.