Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody like Lace pickups?

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anybody like Lace pickups?

I would like some info on the Dual reds, and the Drop N Gains. Can't really get comments anywhere.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anybody like Lace pickups?

id like to find out as well. trying to decided which pre wired pickguard to put in a strat, whether some dimarzio set or the lace sensors. they are supposed to be hotter, not to mention noiseless- unlike the dimarzios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    It's a federal crime to transport A Minor across state lines for purposes of blues.

http://www.facebook.com/gegjm

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try the fender forum, pup tent. There are a bunch of guys there rhat have used just about every Lace model made. SMark comes to mind. do a search there. be sure to go back a year or more.

I have used the red,blue,silver set in my Strat plus deluxe, and the Hot gold and hemibuckers in my Warmoth build.
    They seem to have a certain something to them that i can't put my finger on. definitely not a "regular" sound.

They seem to be hot sounding but low/moderate output than you would expect.
    For example, I have a carvin holdsworth with the stock p/ups (around 8k) that are way louder than the hemis (10k)

Great sounding p/us, just don't expect them to sound like a ..........(insert favorite brand here)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put Lace sensors in my Squier strat many years ago. Was my first mod job. I used them because they were the hot new thing Fender was going to.

I had Blue in the Neck, silver in the middle and Red in the back. (This has become the classic setup) They are good. I wanted more in back so I went to a Tone zone then a Custom 5. years later, I still have the Blue and Silver. I dont play the guitar much as Im not a strat guy, but they sound fine whenever I use them. they are quiet. They are just sort of bland.

I would buy them again and they have a few new models Id like to try, Im just not a big single coil guy.
    I wondered why it seems Fender and others have moved on? I think its simply because we guitar players cant accept new and different. They didnt Look "vintage" .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tend to buy cheap guitars and mod them until they are 'perfect'. My Strat has a red-silver-blue Lace set and I love them. I also got a custom switching set up on it so I can do series/parallel and several non-standard p'up combinations.

Once again, they have a good sound. But it's not very like any traditional p'up sound. So if you are trying to sounf just like SRV or someone, these aren't for you. I think the only current major artist still using them is Billy Corgan.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had strat ultra with blue, gold, and dually reds in the bridge. Didn't like them because I bought a strat to sound 'startty' and these didn't cut it. Nothing really wrong, but there's a kind of compression thing going on with Sensors. So I put 'real' strat pickups in and got the sproing and attack back. (The Blue one sounded best of the 3) Next I tried the red on a Jag-Stang neck position, horrible! I swore I'd never use Sensors again, there was just something wrong about the sound. Fast-forward to the Hot Golds, I read the positive reviews and Darned if they didn't get it right. The good qualities of the original series and more output and cut. Very good tones, surprisingly excellent under gain (better than regular strat pickups). So all this to say that only option for me will be Hot Golds when I want that sound, and in fact I have a pair for a JAguar build I've been working on. Can't speak to the Hemi though, but every time I hear the name I think of 2 daredevil rednecks...

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Drop is suppose to be a Metal machine. And the new Deathbucker sounds promising.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a Fender HM Strat Ultra (see avatar), which originally had the set of blue/gold/red dually. Those were good but I wanted to upgrade the guitar and installed a Lace Hot Gold 13k in the neck, a Hot Gold 6k in the middle and a Dimarzio Breed, which I can split, in the bridge. I´m very happy with the sounds in that guitar. The Hot Golds are not as trebly as ordinary single coils; there is more of a midrange "thump"; think beating a snare drum without that rattle thingy put on. They fit my style very nice: I play free jazz fusion and they´re smooth and relaxed.

Edit: you can hear how my HM Strat Ultra with the Lace Hot Golds sounds on this soundclip. I use the neck/middle position all the time:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6924389
    Last edited by adrian; 09-09-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice tone and technique there adrian, liked the music a lot. Now how about a clip of the Breed in the bridge?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, Singtone. It´s just a simple recording of our rehearsals. The idea with the tune is to get a B itches Brew vibe. I still don´t have a recording when I use the Breed. But it sounds good, that´s for sure.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 2 Clpaton Strats & love them. They are both equipped with the "Gold" Lace sensors. They work for me. I know these are very different from the ones you are asking about, but if there is any indications by my opinion I think the Golds are a nice "vintage" type of sound.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lace Sensors are excellent pickups, no doubt about it.

The "problems" arise when comparisons are drawn between these pickups and traditional designs. These boil down to differences in appearance, tonality and dynamic response.

To my mind, the whole point of devising a new pickup construction technique is that it should deviate from the existing norms. Remember, once upon a time, Leo's creations were the newest/latest arrival.

I recall a Hank Marvin obsessive who was so affronted by the covers of the Lace Sensors on his American Deluxe Stratocaster that he prised them off and fitted regular white covers with strips of foil showing through the polepiece holes to simulate the appearance of magnets. Self-adhesive spot labels would have sufficed.

I am afraid that a great many musicians and audiences judge musical matters by how things look.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    I am afraid that a great many musicians and audiences judge musical matters by how things look.
    No doubt about it. There are some great guitars out there, that just little a little funky. Scares a lot of us away. Tone is tone. When you are sitting in front of a mike laying down some lines, the main thing is does it feel right & sound right. Who cares what it looks like!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Human powerplant Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I badly want to try their Alumitones....
    And this new thing will Mr Lawrence sounds like a hit to me...I like different stuff!
    Not gonna miss you know!
    Information is not knowledge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been trying to find a list or chart that compares the tones of the different lace sensors, and cant. MF has the standard description on almost all models.

I Know the older ones:
    Gold- clean strat sound
    Silver-70s strat
    Blue - thicker tone
    Red- Hot

I did get that the purple is like P90
    Im wondering about the green and burgundy? any others?

I need a neck and mid SC for one of my Kramers, I may go lace..
    I DO like the clean look. I cant decide if Ill go Blue/silver again or one of the others.. Just have to find out the full description of the others..
    Last edited by BloodRose; 09-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They really need to update their site, and have graphs of their pickups. But I like the way the Lace pups look. I think their cool.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My #1 Strat has Lace Hot Golds (13.2k set) and I couldn't be happier. Great sounding pickups with an awesome dynamic response. But of course... I'm one of the guys from FDP who likes them!

They can be ordered from Aamps with fake pole pieces if the appearance is of concern. At first I didn't like how they looked. That was before I got them mounted. Then they grow on me, now I think they looks cool.

Some pick of my Strat with HN's over here.

/Goran
    Last edited by GoranS; 09-10-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have tried their Blue, Gold and Red Dually. For the moment I use two Hot Golds: a 6k and a 13k. I also have tried a Burgundy. The Blue/Gold/Red set was stock in my HM Strat Ultra, and I found it being way too bright and slightly thin, so I changed to the Hot Golds. I found them be way bright too, but when I checked the pots I realized that someone had installed a 500k volume pot. OK, I swapped to a 250k pot, and then the Hot Golds sounded very good. I later tried a Burgundy in the neck. It is said to sound like a P90-pickup, and it actually made my Strat sound like an old Les Paul with P90s. Too jazzy for me, and changed back to the Hot Gold 13k in the neck. It´s meant to be in the bridge, so it´s a bit dark in the neck, but I use a TBX volume pot, so I can make it brighter if necessary.

Edit: that´s a nice Strat, GoranS!
    Last edited by adrian; 09-09-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoranS View Post
    My #1 Strat has Lace Hot Golds (13.2k set) and I couldn't be happier. Great sounding pickups with an awesome dynamic response. But of course... I'm one of the guys from FDP who likes them!

They can be ordered from Aamps with fake pole pieces if the appearance is of concern. At first I didn't like how they looked. That was before I got them mounted. Then they grow on me, now I think they looks cool.

Some pick of my Strat with HN's over here.

/Goran
    That Strat looks great to me. I like them without the pole pieces. It has that EMG look.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, and for you who missed it: here´s a clip where I play some Lace Hot Golds and try to sound like Mclaughlin at B itches Brew, when he used that Fender Jaguar:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6924389