Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Please welcome Patrick Cummings, President and co-founder of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom Guitars). Not only are iGuitars amazing sounding and playing solid body electrics, but they feature piezo, 13 pin and USB connectivity that offer the player unparalleled ease of recording and access to unlimited sounds.

About iGuitar.USB: The current iGuitar.USB system is built into your guitar and sends two channels of CD quality streaming digital audio, one for magnetic pickups and one for piezo pickups and eliminates the need for an external audio interface when recording to your computer (requires MAC OSX or Windows Vista or higher)

Oh, and Pat's a smokin' guitar and mandolin player.

As with last week, one lucky randomly selected winner will have their guitar picked up, get a choice of Duncan pickups, a factory set up by Pat, and an iGuitar USB upgrade (that itself is a $300 value). Same rules as last week apply - it must be a decent instrument and USA addresses only (sorry).

Please give a warm welcome to Pat Cummings!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: LIVE NOW - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

First off, id like to welcome you here and give a big thanks for doing this.

You guys are probably one of the most innovative guitar companies out there. Is there one thing in particular you think you, brian and kevin came up with which really helped you break into a very established market?

As president of the company, do you still get any hands on time in the shop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: LIVE NOW - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Welcome to the forum!

How does your system prevent latency issues when recording multiple guitar parts?

Are there plans to introduce your own recording, amp modeling, etc software?

What guitar is your #1, the one that you just can't put down and always come back too?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    yea, they [ Fender Bassman] do sound like a mess, don't they. It's like a blind date with a shaggy hippy girl with a poochy belly, but then you get a hot oil massage from her and all of a sudden you're doing tantric prayer all night and asking her to move in with you.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Evan,
    Thank you for inviting me to be a guest in this forum.
    I would like to extend a special welcome to the folks on the west coast who are up at 7am practicing their guitar!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which guitar is the favorite of your collection...your #1? (whether it's an iGuitar or not) Pics would be sweet!

When people think or say "iGuitar" what is the one thing you want them to think of first?

What's the best compliment you've ever received about your guitars?

thanks,
    mike
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Carl Martin AC-TONE Special, EB VPJr, T1M DD-5/T1M Tap

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this for us guys. There are a few of us here who are aspiring builders and repairmen (such as myself) and feel it's a great opportunity that we wouldn't otherwise have.

What got you started in building in the first place?

What sets iGuitar instruments apart from the rest save for the computer stuff?

When you were a smaller builder, what was the most overrated tool in your shop? Underrated?

Evan says you're a mando player, as am I. What's in your 8 string closet?

What advice would you give to the young builder to really push him on?

If you could go back in time to any one builders shop, who would it be?

What would you like to see next for iGuitar?

Is iGuitar user friendly for tech handicapped like myself?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to this forum and thanks for sharing your time. When I think of Brian Moore guitars I instantly think of high tech innovation. How do you plan to evolve the electric guitar in the future? Can we expect partnerships sharing technology between companies like Seymour Duncan and a company like Brian Moore Guitars or now your iGuitars company?

Ultimate Tone Slacker ganzosrevenge's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was Brian Moore like as the name behind iGuitar

Can an iGuitar be played normally, guitar to amp,

What advice do you have for those of us who in the future may wish to implant computer-tech into a guitar, such as an onboard phaser or flanger

is there a product in the works that would let the guitar record and store itself (like an onboard recorder with a small flash drive) and then you can play that back through the guitar, and then play over yourself?

Jason
    <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

welcome, Patrick

i've been playing a brian moore i88.13 guitar (albeit a relatively low priced import) for years and enjoy it very much ...

do you have any plans to offer different neck carves, fingerboard radii, etc as options on your guitars?

also, how much of the tonal properties of the woods, pickups, etc come thru in the USB scenario? does the computer get the full variety of tones or is it more 'uniform' like DI-ing a piezo output ?
    Last edited by tone4days; 09-16-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Pat!

Do you think that USB / 13 pin / digital guitar technology is ever going to become more mainstream than it is now?

I often consider that the younger generation may be a great market for this type of tech; knowing that the young guys now are very hip to home recording, and playing with technology in the midst of music, but I still see a majority of young players walking out of the store with an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Frontman amp.

So, what do you think is necessary to get high tech guitars into the hands of young players?

Also, what do you think is necessary to get high-tech guitars into the hands of players like me (not young, not old, right in the middle!) who are conditioned to like tube amps and PAF pickups, but also have an inherent lean towards using technology to make things better as a function of the time we grew up in (dawn of the Information Age).

Again, big thanks, you da man, and welcome to the SDUGF!

-Hunter

Ultimate Tone Slacker elscorcho's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=ericmeyer4;2268778]
    Are there plans to introduce your own recording, amp modeling, etc software?[QUOTE]

Thanks for talking the time to be here! I was plannining on asking about software plans, too! As someone who is basically afraid of this technology, I'm hoping you may be able to further simplify the software part of the equation as you have w/ the guitar/interface scenario.....Is there maybye a "turnkey" package in the works?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Patrick, I can say as a former owner of multiple Brian Moore guitars that I appreciate the design, versatility and utility of your modern instruments, especially the ease in blending the piezo and the electric sound together. My question is, how do you want the mainstream to perceive your guitars, as high functioning piece of art, a swiss knife, or decorative piece for collection? Are those the same goals for the imported guitars?

Welcome, Patrick.

Where do you see the future of guitar amp modeling going?

What's your typical rig when using a iGuitar hooked up via USB to a computer?

Thanks.
    Erik

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you guys are a really forward thinking guitar company which is a rarity, most just rehash old designs or add subtle variations. id love to hear some background on why/how brian moore/iguitar came about and the philosophys behind it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just talked to Pat. He had to deal with a couple of sales calls and he'll be back on here in a few minutes to answer all your questions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hello patrick, dave eichenberger here...thanks for doing this...

- will it ever be possible to send magnetic, midi and piezo to the computer via USB?
    - i know mixing guitar with technology is a hard sell to most guitarists (no need to sell me, i'm sold)...with giant companies like Roland and Gibson having a hard time with guitar technology products, how will iGuitar 'get the word out' on a grand scale?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just talked to Pat again. He's "clearing the deck" so that he can join us for some good discussion over the next few hours. Thanks for your patience.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Patrick,

Thanks for taking time out for the foum!!

1. What one guitar made you want to build guitars by making you think to yourself "I can do a better job than that"?

2. What one guitar made you want to build guitars by making you think "I'd love to be able to make guitars this nice one day"?

-Tom
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scottish, there is not really one single thing we did to break into the guitar market, it was a combination of a few key things. When we began in the early 90's, we did several things to try an distinguish ourselves from the fabulous competition such as PRS, Tom Anderson, Hamer, etc. We began with the MC/1 which blended the strength and sustain of advance composites with the beauty and tone of wood (with Duncans of course). We also wanted to create a headstock that would be unique, instantly recognizable but not too 'out there' and arrived at the 2+4 configuration with the sculpted wood natural wood signature. These basic design elements helped us capture peoples attention early on. - Another important point is that to break into any business you must have a solid business plan, proforma projections that are as close to reality as possible and enough cash to carry you through the inevitable ups and downs. - Yes, I am still very hands on and have built most of the first prototypes of all of our guitar models- I am also extremely hands on with customer service - people are usually surprised that I am on the phone taking care of customers, but that is the best way to stay in touch as you grow you business

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scottish, there is a link here which gives some more detail about our early history http://iguitar.com/aboutus.asp