Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what the hell is a fender showmaster?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default what the hell is a fender showmaster?

since giving fender a call and giving them the serial number of my guitar,ive found out some cool things about the guitar.aside from the cool tyedye paint job with matching headstock,it has no fretboard inlays work but dots on the side of the neck,side mounted inputjack,and 1 volume and 1 tone knob,graphite nut,c neck profile,scale length 25.5..with of neck at the nut is 1.568. gotoh locking tuners,the only thing i dont like is the diecast bridge assembly...so i take this guitar to the local guitar guru,and have a set up done,and he looks this guitar up on a website,its like a blue book site for apprasials,only instead of cars ,its for guitars and basses.we look this guitar up on this site,and its not listed as a strat,but its listed as a showmaster.ive never heard of this.im all ears..any one with knowledge of this guitar please stop in and give me some info...it looks like a strat,it was sold as a strat,and the fender guy called it a strat.this guitar retailed for 699,but i paid 350 for it because it had been on the show room floor and it looked like every 14yrold in the zip code had played slayer riffs on it because of all the scratches from picks.i ....had those buffed out....thanks for all and any feed back
    Last edited by ravendouglas; 09-21-2009 at 08:16 AM.
    play louder than the other guy.....

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: what the hell is a fender showmaster?

most showmasters i've seen have been Strats with carved tops.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this guitar does not have a carved top.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ravendouglas View Post
    since giving fender a call and giving them the serial number of my guitar,ive found out some cool things about the guitar.aside from the cool tyedye paint job with matching headstock,it has no fretboard inlays work but dots on the side of the neck,side mounted inputjack,and 1 volume and 1 tone knob,graphite nut,c neck profile,scale length 25.5..with of neck at the nut is 1.685.. gotoh locking tuners,the only thing i dont like is the diecast bridge assembly...so i take this guitar to the local guitar guru,and have a set up done,and he looks this guitar up on a website,its like a blue book site for apprasials,only instead of cars ,its for guitars and basses.we look this guitar up on this site,and its not listed as a strat,but its listed as a showmaster.ive never heard of this.im all ears..any one with knowledge of this guitar please stop in and give me some info...it looks like a strat,it was sold as a strat,and the fender guy called it a strat.this guitar retailed for 699,but i paid 350 for it because it had been on the show room floor and it looked like every 14yrold in the zip code had played slayer riffs on it because of all the scratches from picks.i ....had those buffed out....thanks for all and any feed back
    All this typing and not one mention on if it's a bolt-on or a neck-thru?

Just post some pictures.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

its a 4 point bolt on neck,and it can be seen clearly on my myspace page..ravendouglas@myspace,its also the one in the pic here

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and i will take some pics and post them today if that helps

Ultimate Tone Slacker ganzosrevenge's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fender Showmaster:

The First Showmasters were Custom Shop Guitars made in the early 90s to be the answer to the Jackson Soloist. They had set necks, carved tops, Humbuckers, either a 2-point Tremolo or a Tune-O-Matic Style bridge, and were built under the guidance of Gene Baker (one of the original Fender CS luthiers). They were fairly expensive, and did not use the gibson-style set neck build, but more of a mortar and tenon style where the neck sets a bit into the body (almost like a set-neck thru of sorts). This makes the neck joint INCREDIBLY strong and gives an even closer impression that the body and the neck are one big piece of (usually) mahogany.

Over time, the Showmaster diversified, there became showmaster elites (which were the aforementioned type of showmaster, with a flame or quilt AAA top and a black tele headstock), the Showmaster FMT / QMT (a quilt or flame topped HSS showmaster with either a 2-point trem or hard tail, and a contoured bolt-on heel a la Jeff Beck model), and a normal stratocaster headstock that said "showmaster". Sometimes the bodies even have shaved tops. (Note: we're still in CS land). Other variations included a lacewood Showmaster, and even a Flathead Showmaster, which is a showmaster with completely blackout hardware, EMG 81 / 60 pickups, a 3-way gibson-style switch, and one volume knob.... also had a contoured heel, no inlays except for 2 flathead pistons in an X with an F logo up top (Think a F and pistons version of a jolly roger), ebony-lam board, 12" radius (universal to all CS models), and a string through body.

Fender then decided to make an MIK version. (Made in Korea). This version, while sharing the set neck, uses a veneer for the top as opposed to a solid piece of wood, although it does use duncan pickups. It is somewhat related to the lite ash strat, as they are both made in Korea, and both use Duncan pups. They are almost always hardtail, can have no inlays, or dot inlays, and usually have a 15.75 to 16 inch radius. Think of them as Fender's answer to the DK2 Jacksons. An even rarer Showmaster is the HIghway 1 HSS, with a Floyd in the bridge, HSS pickup orientation, showmaster size body, and 24 frets. It was only made from 1999 to 2001, and occasionally one pops up on ebay.

Sizewise, a showmaster's body is usually just a tiny bit smaller than a strat, to decrease mass and increase ease of playing. They happen to be viewed pretty highly as far as guitars go and can be viewed as the final attempt by Fender to build a superstrat before absorbing Jackson / Charvel. Most of them only have one vol / one tone, and a 3-way switch (for HH models), and a 5-way set up in Lone-Star wiring for HSS / SSS models. (Yes, there are korean-made SSS showmasters). Fender corporate sees this model as a production failure, having stopped its production as of the 2009 model year, but for those who want a shredstick that doesn't have pointies everywhere, it can be everything from a great $600 value superstrat, to a $2000+, fire-breathing, custom shop scream machine.

As far as a guitar for being a player, if you can get over the fact some of the Korean ones have an obviously fake top / headstock color match job, you're in for a treat... they really are some of the best unloved Fenders of the Post-CBS era. And as for the CS ones, they pop up on gbase sometimes for healthy discounts (the showmaster elite is kinda like a menage a trois of a Strat, a LP Custom, and a Tele's headstock and it's the red-headed stepchild of the CS... ugly, but monstrously fun.)

+1, highly recommended, would love pics.
    <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ravendouglas View Post
    it looked like every 14yrold in the zip code had played slayer riffs on it because of all the scratches from picks.
    Kids playing Slayer are probably technically better than to be scratching guitars with their picks.
    Slayer riffs aren't....ach wait, I'm ranting for nothing here!

**** those punk kids!

I always assumed Showmaster guitars were cheapos, the name is crap. But Ganzo's post puts things straight, they sound pretty awesome!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hey Dio, wanna see a nice example of a CS showmaster?

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-sho...a-2004-midnigh

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-cus...l-2006-sunburs

no affiliation, but i want it badly (either or)
    Last edited by ganzosrevenge; 09-20-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's also a squier showmaster, but it's nowhere as good as even a normal squier guitar. They have reverse headstocks, usually are just H or HH, and are typically represented for those who want superstrats but won't even splurge for a bottom-end ibanez. They're the showmaster dogs, and commonly what people would say is a "craptastic" showmaster that winds up being the stereotype for other showmasters. The Proper fenders (MIK, High-1, CS) are good, to UNBELIEVABLE, guitars. (CS owners will find a nice mix of the best of a strat, and the best of a LP here). Avoid Squier ones, pursue proper fender ones. That's my finishing point. :-)

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

im trying to upload my myspace pic of this guitar to this site and it wont take the code
    $#$#%!#$#!%@#$%$@^@$6http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=134744136& albumID=1340789&imageID=16541482

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

enlarge the picture (so it's the only one on the screen)
    drag that picture up to where your tabs are (IE7 IE8 FF and Opera only)
    then when you see that picture's address (usually ends in jpg)

copy it, then click on the little picture icon up top next to the hyperlink icon, and paste that picture's URL there. Hit done, you'll see the picture

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the link to my fender pic works..whew.....hope ya like her..shes sexxy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IT STILL DOESNT WORK!

Add me, i will put it up for you.

Jason

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

THis is ravendouglas's showmaster.

It's an MIK, presumably, seems modded by the strat-sized HB in the neck, probably early 2000s (won't know without an SN), but I will say, better than usual tyedye job on the body and headstock.
    Last edited by ganzosrevenge; 09-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thank you ,i had to reset myspace privacy settings ..so thank you gonzo ..so is this a strat or is this a mik showmaster?
    Last edited by ravendouglas; 09-21-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MIK Showmaster

Examples of a CS showmaster, just for reference are in the post with the 2 links...

BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
    hey Dio, wanna see a nice example of a CS showmaster?

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-sho...a-2004-midnigh
    That looks awesome! I think I was maybe thinking about the Squier Showmaster I've probably seen them on ebay and not thought much about them.

Still - although I like the genuine strathead, I'd prefer a USA Jackson Soloist.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    That looks awesome! I think I was maybe thinking about the Squier Showmaster I've probably seen them on ebay and not thought much about them.

Still - although I like the genuine strathead, I'd prefer a USA Jackson Soloist.
    Oh, the squiers are horrid, but the MIK / High-1 / CS ones range from nice to magical. Another monster

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-sho...r-2003-natural (no affiliation)