Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

@ HOSS I honestly fell our current custom shop guitars are far more consisitant and superior to some of the mid-80s era Schecter guitars. SOme of those wer put together from 'kits' ... and were hit and miss. I used to own an '85 PT model which was just ok. I have played others that were just fantastic.
    The P DEE (@ Adicts) was basted on our current PT Fastback model ... he played and liked it... so we sat with him and dressed it up ala Adicts. Pete wanted a Bigsby trem as a standard option too. Nice Guitar. Great Guy!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Mr. Ray Charles sang a tune about my beloved state being on his mind.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any company that has built a guitar (especially 24 guitars) for Prince is alright by me!

Keep up the good work fellas.
    Last edited by B Bent; 09-29-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Ultimate Tone Member MarcSchecter's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@guitfiddle _ I cant speak for Michael 100%, but we do have some very similar taste in guitars. We tend to like more "odd ball" guitars, some of the weird Japanese stuff.
    I'm sure because Schecter started as Strat and Tele replacement parts company people would assume we are some purists but not really the case. We love to experiment and blend ideas from various guitars. If you look through our catalog I'm sure it shows.

Any one guitar though for me would still just be any vintage Les Paul Standard - gold-top please - they really do sound amazing and still inspire us to move forward.
    Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@Rowan - Right now the Hellraiser line. Sorry Evan and SD I know it's like sacrilege !

All time might be our C-1+

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@Phil 104 - thanks for noticing! The set-up and quality of our insturments is the most important thing to us. SInce I became President in 1996... and with the intro of our Diamond Series in 1998... we know we had to be better than the competition to make this fly. We now have a staff of 20 set-up guys ... all guitarists who live and breath guitars. The are proud of what they do and what this comapny represents.
    As far as our flagship guitar... wow hard question.
    I think the versatility of our line is key. Unlike outher companies... we are not a one-trick-pony... we cover a lot of styles and tones... My personal fave guitar is our Tempest.... though I am playing a Corsair a lot live now
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day guys,thanks for taking the time to do this!
    I'll make this quick,coz it's 3:45 am down here in Australia and,man,do I need my beauty sleep!!
    Michael,what kind of axes were you building in the Sunset days,and did any of those designs carry over into Schecter's guitar line ?
    Did either of you have a connection with the earliest days of Schecter ?

Once again thanks!

Cheers,PJ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by baritone View Post
    The Hellcat VI is a monster of a guitar. Are there any plans to expand on the crazy long neck idea?
    This guitar came about with the help of Robert and Perry from the CURE. Marc and I have always loved the band, and their use of this instrument. We have built a few UltraCUre Bass VIs which Robert uses on stage, and may offer a Limited Version of it in 2010.
    Here is a sneak peak ... and no promises... but there also may be an Ultra-VI in 2010
    and I am glad you 'get' this instrument ... many dont
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are there any more "different" guitars in the works? I've owned two CB-2000s in the past, and really enjoyed them for playing detuned stuff. Sold them both when I needed money, and now I can't find one again.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys for doing this! Got a couple of questions...

-How did the company end up crossing paths with Pete Townshend to then do the PT series back in the day?
    -I have played a few import Schecters and have been blown away by the quality. Other companies manage to produce great import stuff too, but then some do fall short. What steps do Schecter take to reach that standard?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I very nearly got a C series but im afraid i got a Dean instead. Was a close battle!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac Jack View Post
    G'day guys,thanks for taking the time to do this!
    I'll make this quick,coz it's 3:45 am down here in Australia and,man,do I need my beauty sleep!!
    Michael,what kind of axes were you building in the Sunset days,and did any of those designs carry over into Schecter's guitar line ?
    Did either of you have a connection with the earliest days of Schecter ?

Once again thanks!

Cheers,PJ
    good day! ok... had too
    In the sunset custom days ... most of the Schecter stuff was 'exotic fender' style guitars... the CET, S_Series etc. Basic nods to the Schecter past
    The first 2 non-schecteresque guitars were built in 1995 for J. and Sean from White Zombie. Js's AstroSurf (later became the Avenger) and Sean's Coffin Bass (later ripped off by Gibson!)

My earlest conncection to Schecter was owning a few 'kit' guitars as a kid... and later working at Lab SOund in LA... which was onwed by one of the original Schecter founders
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

not sure if you want to spill any possible secrets that may be on the way for NAMM 2010 but i have to ask since i'd buy it today if i could....what are the chances of a production model black with gold hardware floyd rose wquipped tempest custom?

the tempest is a great design and i'd like to own another (i had a p-90 loaded goldtop a few years back) but i've become floyd rose obsessed so i'm crossing my fingers that you guys make that a reality.

keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

-Mike

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Are there any more "different" guitars in the works? I've owned two CB-2000s in the past, and really enjoyed them for playing detuned stuff. Sold them both when I needed money, and now I can't find one again.
    yeah .. that was an insteresting insturment!
    we do a lot of insturments soley designed for drop and sub-A tunings.
    the C-1 EX (which will be available as a Hellraiser in Dec 2009)
    as well as MANY 7 and 8 string insturments.
    Make sure to check out the LIMITED EDITION section of our web site... as you will see these instruments... which are not in our '09 catalog
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@J Moose - I can say we are working hard, even with this economy, towards a bigger and brighter future for the Schecter Custom Shop. Can't give too many details but we just acquired a new build and are expanding as we speak.

As for your price points, that will be tough with the current marketplace but we will do our best to continue to offer more access to our high-end custom shop and a new semi-custom line.

Keep an eye out!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XSSIVE View Post
    not sure if you want to spill any possible secrets that may be on the way for NAMM 2010 but i have to ask since i'd buy it today if i could....what are the chances of a production model black with gold hardware floyd rose wquipped tempest custom?

the tempest is a great design and i'd like to own another (i had a p-90 loaded goldtop a few years back) but i've become floyd rose obsessed so i'm crossing my fingers that you guys make that a reality.

keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

-Mike
    glad you like the Tempest. This guitar has been in our line since 1996 and has appeared in so many versions. I just have never viewed it as a FR guitar... but stay on our email list and it may appear as a Limited next year!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Thanks guys for doing this! Got a couple of questions...

-How did the company end up crossing paths with Pete Townshend to then do the PT series back in the day?
    -I have played a few import Schecters and have been blown away by the quality. Other companies manage to produce great import stuff too, but then some do fall short. What steps do Schecter take to reach that standard?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I very nearly got a C series but im afraid i got a Dean instead. Was a close battle!
    I was still a kid in New Orleans when Pete came aboard... but I do remember the Emience Front video. From the story I was told... Pete saw the first doubel-bount 2-Hum 'tele' at Rudy's Music in NYC. At that time .. many repair shops bought Schecter parts ... ehcks, bodies ... everything and built completed guitars. After getting one or more from Rudy's.. Pete contacted Schecter directly and the rest is history
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by guitfiddle View Post
    Hi Michael and Marc!!

Thanks for taking time out for us here at the SDUGF.

A couple of guitar philosophy questions...

1. Can you both name any one particular guitar that made want to start building guitars because you felt you could do a better job making your own?

2. Can you both name any one guitar that made you want to start building because you thought you'd like to live up to it's higher standard with your own builds?

Thanks!!
    as I kid I grew up loving double cutaway stuff .... I owned Hamer Specials, Yamaha SBG1000s ... etc. Just never could afford that great Les Paul TV Special!
    I just think a lot of companies that once made great guitars ..lost sight along the way..... I'll leave it at that !
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Ultimate Tone Slacker andrizzle's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hey guys, first off, thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions...

next: I know you've already talked about it but are the Prince "symbol" guitars made entirely out of wood, or is it some sort of composite? also what the "playability" to "how the hell are we gonna make this thing" ratio on something like that... I'm sure the quality is immaculate... but working around the logistics of the shape, were there any compromises?

Ultimate Tone Slacker elscorcho's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for being here, guy's....It's a real treal as I 've always felt your guitars are unmatched for overall quality and outstanding playability at their price point.

Two questions: I have a "mike tempesta" (black m33) model which I play everyday & the bridge (blade) pickup has always been a mystery to me....what exactly is it?

(& if you have time)

What happened to the "jerry horton" model was there a falling out or did it just not sell....Aside from the fretboard, are the new "classics" the same feature-wise?

THANKS AGAIN FOR BEING HERE!!!

Complicated people never do what you're told to
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So this weekend I played a C-1 EA semi hollow-body guitar at Guitar Center. The piezo electronics were very interesting, gave it a very different tone than the pickups. I looked for it on your website but I didn't see it, was it replaced by the Corsair series?

Also, something that I've noticed is that a lot of your models have push-pulls to for coil splitting. That's pretty cool, and I think people (at least the crowd on this forum) will appreciate that. Any plans to put wiring diagrams on your website? Is this what the dimmed "resources" tab will be?
    "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
    - Marilyn Manson

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

I love your guitar designs. They have a lot of vintage, elegant features on them while still looking very welcoming to shredders. I would be very grateful if you could write a little bit about the process of designing a new guitar in you company.