Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Quote Originally Posted by theboatcandream View Post
    Welcome!

Something I've wondered for a while is how you arrived at the idea that offering choices to guitarists is actually a good thing. With other big guitar brands, their models tend to have the same dimensions. The differences between their models are mostly cosmetic. But your production models come in a variety of scales and neck dimensions, even the 7 strings. Did you follow the demand, or did you do it out of some kind of philosophy, or was it something else?
    We diffintley seek out the niches in the market! My sales dept. goes crazy sometimes at all of the 'choices' .... hell we offer 51 different L/H model this year!
    Keeping the 'small co' mind set allows us to try things that most of our competitors will not. I am ok if we sell 50 of a certain guitar ... if we think it is cool and useful
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcSchecter View Post
    @J Moose - I can say we are working hard, even with this economy, towards a bigger and brighter future for the Schecter Custom Shop. Can't give too many details but we just acquired a new build and are expanding as we speak.

As for your price points, that will be tough with the current marketplace but we will do our best to continue to offer more access to our high-end custom shop and a new semi-custom line.

Keep an eye out!
    It wasn't so much about the price points but more of an observation on how things have changed over the last 10-15 years. I mean, I realize the price of just about everything has gone up... at one point the Am. Std Strat was $500!

Having owned & played numerous USA & diamonds... the import stuff always leaves me a little cold. They're great guitars, but they aren't what the USA stuff is. I had a semi-hollow Tempest and it played great but it seemed like a guitar with an identity crisis... And its not just Schecters... most imported guitars just aren't what I'd want for a main instrument.

Anyway... do you keep records of the Custom Shop instruments? If I supplied a serial number could you tell me what the materials of a guitar were, the woods and stuff? Specifically wondering about the neck of the Tele that got lifted...

Thanks!
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Ultimate Tone Member MarcSchecter's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@elscorcho - Cool guitar you have there! That is an interesting pickup actually and stems from a Seymour Duncan pickup, that has a long history as well. As I recall and I hope I'm not saying too much. Mike Tempesta is a HUGE Black Sabbath fan, at the time SD was working a new model for Tony Iommi, and Mike just had to have that in his guitar. So Duncan created a Duncan Design version for us. As I recall, the long blades on top and SUPER hot, great sounding rock humbucker!

As for Jerry, we are like family. He had much to do with the explosion of Schecter some 10 years ago. So yes the Classic is very similar, different pickups. The model changes mostly have to do with the bands album cycles and when we are coming out with new model. So Keep an eye out for a new Jerry Solo 6 model next year!
    Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Jaguar View Post
    So this weekend I played a C-1 EA semi hollow-body guitar at Guitar Center. The piezo electronics were very interesting, gave it a very different tone than the pickups. I looked for it on your website but I didn't see it, was it replaced by the Corsair series?

Also, something that I've noticed is that a lot of your models have push-pulls to for coil splitting. That's pretty cool, and I think people (at least the crowd on this forum) will appreciate that. Any plans to put wiring diagrams on your website? Is this what the dimmed "resources" tab will be?
    The C-1 E/A is a very versatile guitar. We offered it a few years ago and it was just a pain-in-the-ass with getting a good USA made piezo system.
    The new Graph-Tech Ghost system is really nice and had been pretty reliable.

and YES>... getting diagrams up is a priorty for us. It really should have been up last year!

The Corasir is a different guitar ... and still in our line.

The push-pull is always been a cool feature on Schecter guitars. David Schecter did develope the first 'spilittable' pickup! We try to make every guitar the most versatile tone-wise as possible... even on many to be able to spilt each pickup individually
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcSchecter View Post
    @elscorcho - Cool guitar you have there! That is an interesting pickup actually and stems from a Seymour Duncan pickup, that has a long history as well. As I recall and I hope I'm not saying too much. Mike Tempesta is a HUGE Black Sabbath fan, at the time SD was working a new model for Tony Iommi, and Mike just had to have that in his guitar. So Duncan created a Duncan Design version for us. As I recall, the long blades on top and SUPER hot, great sounding rock humbucker!

As for Jerry, we are like family. He had much to do with the explosion of Schecter some 10 years ago. So yes the Classic is very similar, different pickups. The model changes mostly have to do with the bands album cycles and when we are coming out with new model. So Keep an eye out for a new Jerry Solo 6 model next year!
    I would like to second Marc's comment about Jerry. When we launched the Diamond Series at NAMM ... having Jerry play a STOCK C-1 guitar in PAPA ROACH's mega hit video Last Resort ... it gave our new 'import' line so much credibility. Period.
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Ultimate Tone Slacker Johtosotku's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for being here and answering all the questions! I managed to make a few of my own as well:

As all of the Schecters I've seen have been good quality asian imports, I've always thought of Schecter as the company that makes high-quality affordable asian made guitars that cater to many modern tastes, predominantly rock and metal. How fitting do you think my image is?

How do you feel the asian guitar factories have developed during your time doing business with them?

How do you see their quality compared to factories in the US and Europe?

What do you see as the last issues they need to tackle to get to level ground?

How do you assist them in their development?

And last, is the anything special on guitars made for Nine Inch Nails?

Thanks for your time, I eagerly await your responses!
    Last edited by Johtosotku; 09-29-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Ultimate Tone Member Quicksilver689's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Schecter guys for doing this.

Question: why not include an Earvana (or maybe proprietary) compensating nut on your Diamond Series guitars? This would make a huge difference. I put one on my C-1 Classic and the difference was like night and day - chords are now in tune all over the neck! Seeing as many others (Ernie Ball, ESP's LTD line, etc.) are already doing it, I think this would be a good way to take an already great guitar for the price and make it even better. Might take some of that market share and steer it back your way as well!

Your thoughts? TIA!

Hey Guys. Welcome to the Seymour Duncan Forum.

Do you still sell aftermarket parts upon request? If not, have you thought about getting back in to that side of the business. I know that the old Schecter bodies and necks are highly regarded as some of the better replacement parts of the time.

-Erik

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@J Moose - I hear yeah, we hate to disappoint but pricing is always tough especially on USA Built stuff as we all know. As you said import stuff keeps going up and it prices out the USA built stuff. I too would like that to change and we some idea for the future to offer MORE affordable semi custom guitars.

As for Serial numbers depends how old, when the company changed hands we didn't get any of the records from the 70'and 80's.

Complicated people never do what you're told to
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    I love your guitar designs. They have a lot of vintage, elegant features on them while still looking very welcoming to shredders. I would be very grateful if you could write a little bit about the process of designing a new guitar in you company.
    Along the same lines, why so many demonic-sounding names? Granted, a 3-necked guitar called the "Cerberus" would be cool, but who comes up with all the names? It's kinda confusing what name means what, because you have the C-1, tempus, and shape names, and then the Damien, diamond, hellraiser ... what do all those signify?
    "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
    - Marilyn Manson

Ultimate Tone Slacker devastone's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a question about some of the Japan only models that are on that "auction site". I really like some of those, and of course, they can be ordered from Japan and shipped, but why are some of those not available in the US? #390080542110 for example...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Hey Guys. Welcome to the Seymour Duncan Forum.

Do you still sell aftermarket parts upon request? If not, have you thought about getting back in to that side of the business. I know that the old Schecter bodies and necks are highly regarded as some of the better replacement parts of the time.

-Erik
    Parts? God No! It is a different time now... most guitars are of quality and I don't think it is really necessary to change so much on an over-the-counter guitars.
    Honestly, it was hard to shake the 'you build kit guitars' image when we changed the path of Schecter... and not sure I want to start that up again.... but who knows... never say never!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the things I enjoy about your line up is that you have have models that are clearly inspired by "classics" but still retain a very "Schecter" identity (i.e. the Stargazer is clearly reminiscent of a Rickenbacker, at least cosmetically; Solo-6 to a Les Paul, etc). What makes you think, "I want to see Schecter's take on [insert guitar type]!" and how do you decide how much to borrow from the original design vs. how much of your own design?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Any plans for a radical shape in the vein of a Flying V, Explorer, or Star guitar shape?
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As all of the Schecters I've seen have been good quality asian imports, I've always thought of Schecter as the company that makes high-quality affordable asian made guitars that cater to many modern tastes, predominantly rock and metal. How fitting do you think my image is?

Its odd, I get it and if the shoe fits as they say, but honestly we see ourselves as much more diverse. I see the Stargazer, the Ultra III, The Hellcat

How do you feel the asian guitar factories have developed during your time doing business with them?

Everyone does business overseas, so this has helped for sure. There are some factories out there that make a great product and have great communication. Some not so good. It has improved dramatically though in the last 10 years.

How do you see their quality compared to factories in the US and Europe?

Not there yet. Maybe won't ever be especially at the price points they are used to building.

What do you see as the last issues they need to tackle to get to level ground?

Using the best Materials possible and time! Focusing on the details.

And last, is the anything special on guitars made for Nine Inch Nails?

Robin Finck model coming next year!
    Nothing too wild, we have worked with him on some on board electronics, Wahs and filters.. more to come there as well.
    Last edited by MarcSchecter; 09-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Jaguar View Post
    Along the same lines, why so many demonic-sounding names? Granted, a 3-necked guitar called the "Cerberus" would be cool, but who comes up with all the names? It's kinda confusing what name means what, because you have the C-1, tempus, and shape names, and then the Damien, diamond, hellraiser ... what do all those signify?
    I don't work for Schecter, but I think that it signifies coolness.

I'd imagine that Damien and Omen are taken from the Omen movies.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    I have a question about some of the Japan only models that are on that "auction site". I really like some of those, and of course, they can be ordered from Japan and shipped, but why are some of those not available in the US? #390080542110 for example...
    You really MUST beware of fakes on the market. I just looked at the particular guitar you mentioned and it does look like a real Schecter.

Our owner is Japanese, and there is a separate divison of Schecte in JAPAN. The design guitars for the Japanese market and do not sell outside of Japan.

We sell to them and the rest of the world. SOunds odd I know .. but it works.
    They do import some of the Diamond Series models also. IMO, they always seem a little behind the times... but most of the guitars they build in Japan are really nice.
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    I don't work for Schecter, but I think that it signifies coolness.

I'd imagine that Damien and Omen are taken from the Omen movies.

Guys,,,, come on. Part of our demographic is the 16-20 year olds... that love video games, etc. and yes... we love horror movies here too!
    and WWII planes.... tempest, hellcat, avenger, corsair !

or I could just come up with a string of random numbers! ... RDC1000X-FR pr ES-6500-RW ............... seems boring to me!!!!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BTMN View Post
    Any plans for a radical shape in the vein of a Flying V, Explorer, or Star guitar shape?

check out our V-1 model ... we offer it in in 6, 7 and 8 string versions!

again, check the Limited Edition part of of our site.. as many of these are only available as 50 or 100pc runs. Or check www.drumcityguitarland.com our biggest independant dealer... and he usually gets these up first.

I do love the explore and the Iceman even more... but we do have our Avenger shape...

and yes... the radical (or suck ass) B-2 shape ... no discontinued!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TO ALL:

guys ... we are trying to answer everyone's questions ... and both Marc and I are on.... but if we miss your post... please resend and we will get to it.

thanks
    MC
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com