Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomend me a new set of pickups for my Les Paul Standard!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recomend me a new set of pickups for my Les Paul Standard!

I currently have like a 498t in the bridge and a Burstbucker 2 in the neck...they're ok but I need something a bit more stout. Anybody?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recomend me a new set of pickups for my Les Paul Standard!

Looking for SD pickups? Go to the audio samples page and listen to their pickups. If you want just a little more "Stout", try the hot rodded humbucker set. It's a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, they're two most popular pickups I believe.
    If you're not looking at just SD, that's when it gets interesting with all different brands.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome to the forum!

how much more stout? more output or mids or ?

a duncan custom bridge and 59 neck would be similar in some ways but a little punchier

a duncan distortion set would be a hotter set up

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The custom 5 and 59 nickel covered is also very popular. It also doesn't have the mid-hump the jb has in a les paul that puts many people off it.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For more stout, I'll say Custom 5 in the Bridge and '59 in the neck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first rule of PU's is "work with what you have." And that often means replacement magnets. Too many guys rush out and drop big money on new PU's, and aren't any happier with them.

I have a couple 498T/490R pairs, and I don't really care for them, with the stock magnets. However, I put an A8 in the bridge & that made the tone warm & rich, and an A5 in the neck, which gave much better clarity & definition. Total cost about $15 including shipping, and I have a 'new' set of PU's that sound much better, individually & together.

Wymore Guitars.com sells replacement magents, and there's a number of old threads here that tell how to do it, plus other online instruction. Takes about 10 minutes, and no skills are required.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tone wizard recommends either the JB/jazz or the custom 5/59. The tone wizard isn't taken seriously by a lot of people on here I sometimes see but that's the companies recommendation on their own products so is worth a try if you do eventually decide to try new pick-ups. I think they're a lot better with nickel covers in a les paul

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the c5/59 combo is a great setup for a les paul but isnt all that much more stout than the one hes got

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Custom 5 is always happiest fattening up mahogany, Gibson style guitars.
    Neck I would go Jazz or 59 like the others said
    Schecter S-1 Elite (Custom 5 /Jazz)
    Schecter S-1 Elite (Screamin Demon/Full Shred)
    Schecter S-1 30th Anniversiary (P-Rails Set)
    Schecter Corsair w/Bigsby (Pearly Gates/Phat Cat)
    Schecter CSH-12 String (Jazz/Pearly Gates)
    Fender 52 Telecaster RI (J. Donahue/Antiquity)
    "Fender" Custom Exotic Tele (Custom/Cool Rails)
    B.C. Rich Son Of Beast (Custom Shop Invader)

1978 Marshall 2203 MK II 100 Watt Lead Head

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    the c5/59 combo is a great setup for a les paul but isnt all that much more stout than the one hes got
    Putting an A5 in the neck makes his PU's the Gibson version of a C5/'59N, so that's really his best first move.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    True. The C-5/59 is like a more refined, clear, and toneful version of what he's got. It's still one of my favorite sets for any Gibson or PRS.

I think the first step is buying a Custom, and seeing how he likes it with the current neck pickup. Then, if you still want a new neck, get a 59.
    The Custom/59 is the best way to get a LP to sound big and ballsy.

I've used both C5's and Customs in LP Std's. and they both have a nice bottom end and output. The C5 is more open and sweeter in the mids and highs. The Custom is aggressive yet toneful on all the frequencies......like a fist hitting your amp.

I'd say that if you're a player that uses 50/50 clean/gain, then go with a C5.
    If you're someone who mostly lives in the highgain world, with occasional cleans, go with the Custom.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-29-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

496r/500t

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    The first rule of PU's is "work with what you have." And that often means replacement magnets. Too many guys rush out and drop big money on new PU's, and aren't any happier with them.

I have a couple 498T/490R pairs, and I don't really care for them, with the stock magnets. However, I put an A8 in the bridge & that made the tone warm & rich, and an A5 in the neck, which gave much better clarity & definition. Total cost about $15 including shipping, and I have a 'new' set of PU's that sound much better, individually & together.

Wymore Guitars.com sells replacement magents, and there's a number of old threads here that tell how to do it, plus other online instruction. Takes about 10 minutes, and no skills are required.
    Do know however that doing this will void any warranty that you may still have on the pickups and will also in most cases lower the resale unless reversed before sale.

Know also that while "easy" for someone that is technically inclined, many people manage to irreversibly damage the pickup when doing this for the first time.

Mag swaps are great when the pickup wind already has you in the general ballpark. If the basic tonality of the pickup is however not particularly close to what you seek, then swapping magnets will usually be a futile endeavor.

IMO a C-5 / 59 will probably be too close to what you´re already running to have the desired degree of change, because you´rea lready pretty firmly in that ballpark. It may be just what the doctor ordered, but I honestly think you would fare better with a Custom at the bridge and an APH2 or possibly Pearly Gates at the neck.
    Last edited by Zerberus; 10-29-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Do know however that doing this will void any warranty that you may still have on the pickups and will also in most cases lower the resale unless reversed before sale.

Know also that while "easy" for someone that is technically inclined, many people manage to irreversibly damage the pickup when doing this for the first time.

Mag swaps are great when the pickup wind already has you in the general ballpark. If the basic tonality of the pickup is however not particularly close to what you seek, then swapping magnets will usually be a futile endeavor.
    I appreciate your concern, but I don't recall hearing of anyone here messing up a PU by swapping magents, and I've turned many guys onto doing it. Saying that 'many' players have irreversibly damaged PU's during mag swaps might be somthing of an exaggeration.

I've never returned a PU, but then I select ones that are in the ball park output-wise and am able to make them work with magnets & pots. To sell it as used, putting the original magnet back in the PU is hardly a deterrent to selling it. And in this guy's case, the PU's are used anyways, so that's not even relevant here.

BTW, I have no prior technical, electrical, or mechanical skills what-so-ever, and have managed to swap dozens of magnets without incident. I think most 12 year old kids could swap a magnet successfully with a minimum of instruction. Not the walk thru a minefield that you say it is.
    Last edited by blueman335; 10-29-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there are people who have killed pups swapping magnets. i know because they paid me to fix them.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recently I asked for some opinions to my SG pickups and you recommended this same setup (custom 5 / 59n). So, this set will also fit Les Pauls as well? Nice to know, since I'm thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in the next semester. Think I'll buy the same setup (I'm still waiting the custom 5 to arrive and will buy the 59 in january ou february).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by symptom View Post
    Recently I asked for some opinions to my SG pickups and you recommended this same setup (custom 5 / 59n). So, this set will also fit Les Pauls as well? Nice to know, since I'm thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in the next semester. Think I'll buy the same setup (I'm still waiting the custom 5 to arrive and will buy the 59 in january ou february).
    The C5/'59N will work well in both guitars. My personal preference is to use a C8 in an SG, to make up for the thinner sound (from the thinner body), but that's a matter of taste. In an LP, the wood mass adds more lows & sustain, and a C5 will sound fuller.

For LP's though, many of us lean towards PAF's, like '59's & PG's, for both bridge & neck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    I appreciate your concern, but I don't recall hearing of anyone here messing up a PU by swapping magents, and I've turned many guys onto doing it. Saying that 'many' players have irreversibly damaged PU's during mag swaps might be somthing of an exaggeration.
    As a professional tech with well over a decade of experience, I can assure you it was not. I charge 15€ to repair one with minor problems such as these and I generally have one on my table about once every 2 months or so

BTW, I have no prior technical, electrical, or mechanical skills what-so-ever, and have managed to swap dozens of magnets without incident. I think most 12 year old kids could swap a magnet successfully with a minimum of instruction. Not the walk thru a minefield that you say it is.
    I never stated nor implied that it was a "walk thru a minefield", but I merely hinted at very real risks that are there that you regularly fail to mention when pushing magnet swaps. If people are not hinted to it, they can and will break lead wires, completely depot the pickup, throw away spacers, break coil windings, lose polepieces...

Part of our responsibility as the techs that give these tips is to give the necessary other tips to make the experience pleasant, and if necessary kindly discourage those who repeatedly display substandard results. Just because it´s child´s play for you and me doesn´t mean that everyone in the world is capable of reproducing our results. I´m not a fighter pilot becasue I don´t have the reflexes, so maybe someone whos reading this isn´t a tech because he doesn´t have fine motor skills or has bad eyesight.

Also, an informed consumer is a good thing. But a WELL and PROPERLY informed consumer generally comes back again, becasue he won´t make expensive mistakes by not having all the info he may need. This is why many of us prefer a mom and pop store to GC
    Last edited by Zerberus; 10-30-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AII Pro/CC

or

PG/Custom

As per my sig. Love 'em both
    '94 Gibson Les Paul Classic Prem Plus - WCR Darkburst/Godwood
    '00 Gibson Les Paul Standard - PG/Custom
    '03 Warmoth Korina super strat - SSL-1/JB
    '06 Schecter Gryphon - '59/JB
    '07 Fender JV Strat - Antiquity Texas Hot Set
    Alvarez AJ60SC Acoustic

'07 Bogner XTC 101B ---> Bogner 4X12 w/G12H-30/Vintage 30 combo
    '07 Mesa Stiletto Ace 1X12 combo w/Scumback M75

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've just put a '59n and Brobucker in mine (about an hour ago infact) and at lower volume through a T.Terror I'm very impressed. Not only does the '59n sound full and open, it seems to be nicely balanced with the Bro. This being said, I may need to fine tune it when I can play through my main amp.
    Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    You've been hit by, you've been struck by....... Simon the Moderator