Thread: SM-1n mini humbucker in a strat?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SM-1n mini humbucker in a strat?

How would the SM-1n Vintage mini humbucker sound in the neck position of a strat? How would it compare to a '59n or APH-1n humbucker?

I currently have a Pearly Gates in the bridge and an APS-1 in the neck, but I find the APS-1 doesn't work to well with the 500k pots I have in the strat (I have a 510K resistor going to ground to make the APS-1 see a 250K pot, but it screws up the taper on it). I'm wanting a nech humbucker that has a bit of a single coil flavor to it.
    CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
    2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)
    2014 Gretsch Electromatic G5422TDC (Gretsch Blacktop Filter'trons)
    Jet City JCA100H
    Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks
    lots 'o pedals

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SM-1n mini humbucker in a strat?

How's things in League City? I miss Danny D's.

My experience with the SM-1n has been in a Nashville Tele, with vintage-flavored single-coils in the bridge and middle. There, the SM-1 gives a humbucker flavor, but balancing with the single-coils better than a full-on 59n would. When I say "balancing" I mean the tone as well as the volume. It's a bit brighter than the 59n and certainly not as woofy. It's also somewhere in between singles and HBs in terms of level.

One of the coolest Strats I ever saw (and one of the best live guitar tones I ever heard) was played by Chris Butler of the Waitresses, playing a Strat with three Firebird pickups in it.

Also, check out Rick Musalem's work on the Mike Kenneally Band's Guitar Therapy Live CD. Musalmem played a Les Paul Deluxe routed for a full-sized HB at the bridge. Granted, a Deluxe mini and a Firebird mini are not the same thing, but I think the HB/Mini combo is a good one.
    Last edited by Rich_S; 11-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The SM-1n should sound very nice in a Stratocaster. The same pickup has been used on the Fender Hot Rod '52 Telecaster. It makes a nice compromise between a regular Tele neck PU and a full-sized HB.

My rule of thumb for the 250k versus 500k question is that a 250k makes less of a mess of the HB sound than a 500k makes of single coils. The afore-mentioned Fender Tele uses 250k pots. Fender Stratocaster models with the Pearly Gates Plus HB also use 250k pots.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one in a tele as well. Mine is paired with a hotrail and it is a suprisingly versatile guitar. In a Strat...... I don't know. I prefer singles in a Strat
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    The SM-1n should sound very nice in a Stratocaster. The same pickup has been used on the Fender Hot Rod '52 Telecaster. It makes a nice compromise between a regular Tele neck PU and a full-sized HB.

My rule of thumb for the 250k versus 500k question is that a 250k makes less of a mess of the HB sound than a 500k makes of single coils. The afore-mentioned Fender Tele uses 250k pots. Fender Stratocaster models with the Pearly Gates Plus HB also use 250k pots.
    I tried the setup with 250K pots and the Pealry Gates was too dark sounding on the lowend. It made the pickup sound oddly thick, which I didn't like too much. With the 500K pots, the Pearly Gates sounds awesome, but to get it to work with the APS-1 just doesn't sound right. So I figured a mini humbucker would work better with the 500K pots.
    CURRENT RIG:

Jet City JCA100H
    lots 'o pedals

Ultimate Tone Member rhmcfarland's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just a thought...
    A2 and A5 don't mix too well when you run them both.
    individually, they're both GREAT.
    that setup would be quite a lot like my '70 goldtop deluxe at a certain time....
    really, really good but not altogether easy to live with.
    "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
    R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
    http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rhmcfarland View Post
    just a thought...
    A2 and A5 don't mix too well when you run them both.
    individually, they're both GREAT.
    that setup would be quite a lot like my '70 goldtop deluxe at a certain time....
    really, really good but not altogether easy to live with.
    I've never had that problem. One of the best pickup combo's I have played has been a Pearly Gates (A2) in the bridge and a '59 (A5) in the neck. Sounded awesome together. There's really not a rule of thumb when mixing different pickups with different kinds of magnets. Hell, Seymour Duncan even mixes those 2 magnets in the Five-Two SSL-52 single coil pickup.
    CURRENT RIG:

Jet City JCA100H
    lots 'o pedals

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've also never had any issues mixing magnet types across pickups. Often times I prefer the variety on the same guitar.

I recently put an SM-1n in the neck of an Alder body/1pc Maple neck superstrat and I love it. I mean like "why didn't I do this sooner" love it. I have it with an old Silverbird in the bridge and they blend really well. It was a carved top Soloist style body with one Humbucker and I routed for the neck pickup. It's so sweet and juicy, and it does make me want to put a 3 x miniHB Strat pickguard on something. I'd love to try the Seymourized bridge mini HB in the bridge with an SM-1n in the middle. I think that would sound great.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an early 90's Strat Ultra or Jeff Beck sig (they were the same thing back then), with the Wilkinson Roller Nut, Locking Shaller Tuners, 2-point modern trem with the Trem Setter (I removed it, put 5 stiff springs and tightened it to the body-i don't use the trem). Alder Body, Maple/Maple Neck w/4-screw mount, micro-tilt. The body came factory with the "Bath Tub" route, meaning that it was just a large rectangular route in order to use any pickups or any combination of. The route does change the sound some. Guitar came with the thickest Polyurethane finish known to this quadrant of the Milky Way. I completely sanded the body to raw wood-mostly by hand- which took 2 weeks, but now the body resonates like a proper strat should. removing all that paint shrunk the body some but not too bad.

I was once on a GIGANTIC string kick, going all the way to a 13-62 set of flat wounds (Eb-tuning) at one time, which meant I had to wallow out the string space on the roller nut. I know-I'm an idiot, but i will never leave a guitar stock unless it is worth ridiculous money. I play 'em!

I have now moved back to a more manageable 10-48 round wound pure nickel set (same Eb tuning)

My pickup combination is as follows

Bridge---Gibson Mini-Humbucker w/adjustable pole pieces of recent vintage
    Middle---Fender '57/'62 reissue from about 2002
    Neck----Seymour Duncan 5-2 staggered strat pickup (very nice)

I have had this guitar for years and I will put some pics up soon in the proper post. I sanded the body to wood and just stained it with a deep walnut rub in stain. faux tortoise shell guard with chrome mini-hum mounted directly -without any pup ring. I love the sounds I get with this guitar. it **** sure ain't grand dad's strat! I play heavily rockified blues with no remorse for the "blues nazi's" imminent offense

later,
    ToneSage