Thread: Pearly Gates vs. Burstbuckers

Jessie Sammler

Default Pearly Gates vs. Burstbuckers

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare Pearly Gates neck and/or bridge, against the old-school Gibson unpotted A2 Burstbuckers? I have gold-covered BB II & III in my Epi Les Paul, and I love the tone, but I'd like to get something potted that's not as noisy under gain.

I got these originally as a blues/jazz set, but I later discovered how great they sound for classic rock, and I find myself wanting to play the guitar a lot more than I ever expected to.

Some very helpful forum bros have suggested removing the covers and putting electrical tape on top of the slug coil. I can almost bring myself to try it, but not quite. I think I'd rather keep the Burstbuckers the way they are and put them in a "Tuxedo" -- a black LP Custom, or something like that.

If I could find something with relatively modern noise-suppression that still gives me all or most of the tone of the Burstbuckers, my avatar would be a very happy girl. So far the Pearly Gates sound like just the thing. Thoughts?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pearly Gates vs. Burstbuckers

I prefer the BB 1&2 set. And I haven't done the comparison outright. But my ear says I prefer a PG to the BB's. But I prefer a PG to most classic PAF's.

And classic Paf's ar great for anything. Particularly super-metal with mondo amp gain. They keep clarity and articulation way better than hot pups IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Sammler View Post
    I think I'd rather keep the Burstbuckers the way they are and put them in a "Tuxedo" -- a black LP Custom, or something like that.

+1. That ebony LP Std 'tuxedo' look with silver or white PU covers, love it!

For an LP, PG's are highly recommended here, as are '59's. If you want a hotter bridge a C5 is nice.

Jessie Sammler

Thanks, guys. It looks like a pair of gold-covered PGs will cost about 1/4 Grand, so it'll have to wait until after the holidays when the self-spending really takes off.

Can't wait.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try to get them used and you can save a few bucks. PGB's are pretty common to find used, PGN's not so much.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try out the gold covered Custom 5/PGn combo, and I'm pretty sure it'll be what you're looking for.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Jessie Sammler

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Try to get them used and you can save a few bucks. PGB's are pretty common to find used, PGN's not so much.
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't do used pickups -- not after someone like me has had their grimy mitts all over them.

Jessie Sammler

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Try out the gold covered Custom 5/PGn combo, and I'm pretty sure it'll be what you're looking for.
    Do you think a C5 would sound more like a BB III than a PGb would?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is a Tuxedo LP??? Black Custom w/ three white pups down the middle?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Sammler View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't do used pickups -- not after someone like me has had their grimy mitts all over them.
    PU's are not untouched by human hands when you buy them new, you know, nor are new guitars, even when you take them out of the box yourself. Nothing wrong with wiping down any new or used gear with a good cleaner.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    What is a Tuxedo LP??? Black Custom w/ three white pups down the middle?
    The typical ebony LP Std with white binding & plastic parts. It's a nice look.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The typical ebony LP Std with white binding & plastic parts. It's a nice look.
    It's usually a Black Les Paul Custom- since Customs have white binding, standards have cream

Jessie Sammler

PU's are not untouched by human hands when you buy them new, you know, nor are new guitars, even when you take them out of the box yourself. Nothing wrong with wiping down any new or used gear with a good cleaner.
    I know; I'm just afraid that pickups could be messed-up or abused in some way. Broken wire, loose something or other. No warranty, either.