Thread: suggestions on new pups?

airbags

Default suggestions on new pups?

hey y'all, i'm new to the forums - hello from seattle.

after searching for quite some time, i finally got my hands on a 2002 schecter 006, the original version (not elite, not deluxe, not blackjack), satin black, bridge humbucker, neck single coil duncan designed pups. i had to ebay for it because schecter would update/upgrade over five years or so, and now, the only version of the 006 available is the deluxe model, which, you know... bleh. i wanted the original since it came out, but kept putting it off until a couple of months ago.

i'm at a point in my development where i can tell a few things need upgrading, namely, the pups. the problem is that i'm not sure what's what and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

right now, i play through a fender stage 160, a 2x12 solid state amp, two channels (clean, drive/more drive). i use a bevy of effects including a dunlop wah, boss flange, delay, chorus, blues driver, keeley mod ds-1, digitech whammy, et al... i don't use everything all the time, and i mostly play straight from guitar to amp (effects are for special circumstances, not for constant use).

my band plays a pink floyd "siamese dream" progressive dream pop kinda thing, but i'd like a clean that isn't too terrible trebly, a nice bass response with good midrange. distorted... well, LOUD.

any suggestions? my 2002 schecter 006 elite already had sd's in them instead of the duncan designed, and i'm really happy with those... i just don't know exactly what models they are, and i'd want something a tad different, anyway.

thanks for your help.

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: suggestions on new pups?

Well David Gilmour used a ssl-5 or 6 if I'm not mistaken on the pink floyd stuff - it's rather high output but it might be a good pickup to look at for pink floyd stuff. In addition, it will be less treble-y with a stronger midrange than a vintage-wound single coil. To find something to pair with it is going to be more difficult - The custom 5 seems like it would be a good pickup to pair with it, but it does have a relaxed midrange and a more present treble.

If it were me, I would look at the Custom 5, Custom, Distortion, and the Parallel Axis humbucker - either 1 or 2. I think you'd be happy with any of those in the bridge. Plus, with that amp you're not going to need the highest output pickups to get loud. That being said, with the ssl-5 and one of the above pickups, your guitar is going to be very hot - if your amp doesn't have a lot of headroom you're probably going to experience some distortion.

I figure the PATB (parallel axis) 1 or 2 will probably work best for what you want, but I don't play prog rock that often so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Looking at the 006, it doesn't look like its routed for a single coil in the neck position - is it a humbucker-sized single coil? In that case you're pretty much limited to the phat cat in the neck unless you get something from the custom shop...

airbags

jimijames, maybe this will help:

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sweet guitar - it looks like it has a single-sized humbucker in the neck, which doesn't hum under gain as much as a single coil. If you don't mind some 60-cycle hum then go with the ssl-5. If you want to keep the neck position hum-cancelling, I think the cool rails would work very well for you, as would the Parallel axis single coil. My suggestions for the bridge pickup remain the same.