Thread: je-1200 midboost circuit? jackson content.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default je-1200 midboost circuit? jackson content.

i recently came into the possesion, of a 1988 jackson custom strat. and as some of you may know it has the je-1200 midboost circuit. well it has 2, 9 volt conections ran in series from the jack to the circut. do i use 2 batteries or what. it almost looks like you should connect them together. i just have no knoweldge of this piece of tech. the solderjoints are all perfect the electronics are in great shape. but i get no signal. i haven't put a batt. in yet i'm gonna wait untill someone tells me to. lol
    Last edited by karpathion; 12-27-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Sarcasm. A lost art since Windows 95.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: je-1200 midboost circuit? jackson content.

it should only have one, sounds like it was modded. Chances are good it could be fried, because the old jackson circuits didn´t usually take 18v very well...
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so how do i find out. just plug one in and see.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I´d remove or bridge one jack just to make sure and run it on a single battery. If it doesn´t work, it`s probably fried

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well is there any kind of marking on those circuits to tell which it is. i'm pretty sure from what all i have learned today about this setup. that it's a je-1200 but it "could" also be a je-1000 which i'm sure you know is somekind of a gain circuit. i'd just liketo check and be sure which it is, so i can make my decision on whether to salvage the electronics, or build it all anew.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has 3 pots, it can only be a JE-1200 if it wasn´t modded.

The JE-1000 has a trim pot and dip switches mounted on the board, has a volume control mounted to the board, one DPDT switch for the boost, and optionally a tone control.

The JE-1500 also has an external dip switch to turn teh sweep filter on and off. other than that master Volume and optional tone control.

Trust me, you almost certainly have a JE-1200, but you can gladly post pics if you want to be absolutely sure

None of the circuits were designed to work with 18V, and almost all attempts to do so have fried the IC.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok my bad, i thought all the chips where interchangable. i got a hold of some bad info.
    can the 1200 still be found, i mean, do they still make them? or do i have to look for an original? i'd really like to keep this guitar as close to original as possible. "ok i admit it. i am a closet 80's hair metal fan".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back before the Fender buyout I did order a brand new JE2000 bass circuit from Jackson's Ft Worth HQ, but as I said, that was pre-Fender. No one knows if FMIC knows about those boards to begin with, much less whether or not they still make them.

Truthfully, your'e really not missing anything by tossing it out and putting in better pickups. The pickups were generally designed around and made to be used in conjunction with those boards, so running the pickups without the board will work, it just won't be pleasant. Likewise, hooking up better pickups to a functional board will not yield favorable results most of the time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karpathion View Post
    ok my bad, i thought all the chips where interchangable. i got a hold of some bad info.
    can the 1200 still be found, i mean, do they still make them? or do i have to look for an original? i'd really like to keep this guitar as close to original as possible. "ok i admit it. i am a closet 80's hair metal fan".
    They're not made anymore and extremely hard to find in working condition. I believe Alex Laiho had ESP make him a copy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    They're not made anymore and extremely hard to find in working condition. I believe Alex Laiho had ESP make him a copy
    Close, but not exactly, He had Musimaa in Finland make the MM-04, which is a facsimile of the JE-1000 peak select preamp.

And as has been stated, they´re no longer available new.. I have one functioning one and one that I haven`t installed yet, but TBH I no longer use them in instruments becasue they´re generally quite noisy, especially with teh boost turned up. I only really keep them around in case I eventually have to sell my model 6 (which will be a very cold day in hell, but I´ve seen the first people buying snowshovels down here... better safe than sorry)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    I have all 4 systems. Fully working and not installed.

I picked up 2 of them at a local store for like $50 and found the other 2 on ebay for about $20 each. I got 2 of the JE2000 bass circuits and installed on in my Peavey 5 String. I get nothing but compliments on the tone from that bass.

I'm thinking about installing the mid-boost into a strat, maybe along with the JE1500 to kind of replicate the Gilmour EMG function...

Grandturk

The JE1200 sounded very good with the J200 single coils. I never liked the mid-boost with the humbuckers, though.

A strat with 3 singles and the mid boost (1200) would be very cool.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
    A strat with 3 singles and the mid boost (1200) would be very cool.
    That's the plan. Re-wire for master volume and tone and the mid boost. Something like that.