Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wondering if this is possible

  1. #1
    Mojo's Minions mrturtle_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,162
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Wondering if this is possible

    so I'm looking to make my Gretsch BST a one pickup guitar, and add some esquire flare to it. I was gonna wire it with the GFS Dream 90 in the bridge, 1 vol, 1 tone, and a switch to bypass the tone control in order to add some brightness. I have two switches, a DPDT on/on mini switch, and I have a gibson style pickup selector switch. Is either of these able to bypass the tone control? If so, how would I go about wiring this up? Thanks in advance.
    You can run over a Tele with a pickup truck, pick it up - and it'll still play out of tune

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
    that's a good question. usually when i'm stuffing something in an F-hole it causes MORE squealing...
    Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    I will be happy when you can email poop. I have my list of recipients...

  2. #2
    Slam Dunk da Funk Funkfingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    My empire of dirt
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,235
    Likes (Given)
    436
    Likes (Received)
    1878

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    The DPDT can easily be wired up to include or exclude the guitar's tone control.

    Imagine the six contacts (as viewed from below) like this.

    L1 R1

    L2 R2

    L3 R3


    L1 = Bypass link to R1
    R1 = Bypass link from L1
    L2 = Signal input from Volume control
    R2 = Signal output to output jack socket
    L3 = Send wire to Tone control input leg (Pot chassis must be grounded)
    R3 = blank


    The Gibson-style pickup selector switch actually operates by switching the "unwanted" pickup out of circuit. Hence, IMO, it is not appropriate for your application.

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions mrturtle_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,162
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    so it should look something like this, correct?
    You can run over a Tele with a pickup truck, pick it up - and it'll still play out of tune

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
    that's a good question. usually when i'm stuffing something in an F-hole it causes MORE squealing...
    Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    I will be happy when you can email poop. I have my list of recipients...

  4. #4
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    211
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    that looks good (to me anyway), but what would you think of a true bypass. have the switch bypass the tone AND the volume. you would loose control of the volume of course, but it would have a more drastic effect.

    this site calls it a "solo" switch.

    http://www.1728.com/guitar4.htm

  5. #5
    Mojo's Minions mrturtle_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,162
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    Quote Originally Posted by prophetofthor View Post
    that looks good (to me anyway), but what would you think of a true bypass. have the switch bypass the tone AND the volume. you would loose control of the volume of course, but it would have a more drastic effect.

    this site calls it a "solo" switch.

    http://www.1728.com/guitar4.htm
    hmm, that's an interesting thought too...my thought for adding this was because the guitar is a fairly dark guitar, so I was hoping to be able to add more punch and brightness when need be, so this will as you said, make a much more drastic difference. Thanks for the link.
    You can run over a Tele with a pickup truck, pick it up - and it'll still play out of tune

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
    that's a good question. usually when i'm stuffing something in an F-hole it causes MORE squealing...
    Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    I will be happy when you can email poop. I have my list of recipients...

  6. #6
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,991
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    266

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    The DPDT can easily be wired up to include or exclude the guitar's tone control.

    Imagine the six contacts (as viewed from below) like this.

    L1 R1

    L2 R2

    L3 R3


    L1 = Bypass link to R1
    R1 = Bypass link from L1
    L2 = Signal input from Volume control
    R2 = Signal output to output jack socket
    L3 = Send wire to Tone control input leg (Pot chassis must be grounded)
    R3 = blank.
    The only problem I see with this is that when you are switched to include the tone pot, the hot lead to the jack (R2) is out of the circuit. Therefore, no signal is going to the jack (this is OK if you want your guitar to be very, very quiet).

    Can be fixed by soldering a jumper between L2 and R3.

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions mrturtle_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,162
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    The only problem I see with this is that when you are switched to include the tone pot, the hot lead to the jack (R2) is out of the circuit. Therefore, no signal is going to the jack (this is OK if you want your guitar to be very, very quiet).

    Can be fixed by soldering a jumper between L2 and R3.
    haha, thanks, that would have caused me a long afternoon of headahces
    You can run over a Tele with a pickup truck, pick it up - and it'll still play out of tune

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
    that's a good question. usually when i'm stuffing something in an F-hole it causes MORE squealing...
    Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    I will be happy when you can email poop. I have my list of recipients...

  8. #8
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,991
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    266

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    No problemo, bro.

    That actually sounds like an interesting idea that I may try out on one of my guitars. I had thought about doing something like this. I was going to remove the tone pot and replace it with a switch that would go from the vol pot straight to the jack in one position, then in the other position go through a capacitor and resistor (like the tone switch on Gretsch guitars) to remove just a touch of the highs. Maybe it's time to do it , my curiosity is bugging me.

  9. #9
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,991
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    266

    Default Re: Wondering if this is possible

    Actually, in looking at this again, all you really need is a 2 position on-off switch for the lead going to the tone pot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •