Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JB with an alnico 2

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: JB with an alnico 2

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    +1. The low end on a C5 in the neck could be overkill.
    As a huge Custom 5 advocate, I'd advise AGAINST it in the neck position. It's voice is totally meant for bridge.
    Schecter S-1 Elite (Custom 5 /Jazz)
    Schecter S-1 Elite (Screamin Demon/Full Shred)
    Schecter S-1 30th Anniversiary (P-Rails Set)
    Schecter Corsair w/Bigsby (Pearly Gates/Phat Cat)
    Schecter CSH-12 String (Jazz/Pearly Gates)
    Fender 52 Telecaster RI (J. Donahue/Antiquity)
    "Fender" Custom Exotic Tele (Custom/Cool Rails)
    B.C. Rich Son Of Beast (Custom Shop Invader)

1978 Marshall 2203 MK II 100 Watt Lead Head

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used one for a while. It's great. Smooth and powerful.

Seems more of a Les Paul pickup, though. I had great hope for it in my SG but alas that worked out the other way.

Didn't try in a trem guitar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1 Question about a2jb , what about his low end ?
    Does it sound like cc low end ?
    And Does a2bj need 250k like the stock one ?

Riffologist Extraordinaire GoDrex's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's three questions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dropped an A2 into a JB and stuck it in my natural finish mahogany San Dimas Charvel and I gotta say it does what I want perfectly. Even our ****in drummer noticed the difference!

I'm going for the 80s hot rodded Marshall, spongy bottom end and searing lead tone. Think Ratt's 'You're In Love' or 'Lay It Down'.

The JB A2 makes my Charvel sound 'woody' and the maple neck gives some nice bite. Plugged in to a 5150 or my modded plexi then all I need to worry about is pulling some shapes during the next solo LOL!

Remember though, tone is totally subjective.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont know why so many people diss on the JB. It was stock equipment in so many guitars thru the 80s and those guitars a highly coveted today and more desireable with stock pup!
    I think they are looking for dark downtuned sound as has been so popular last 10 or so years and the Jb sings and cuts for leads..

Anyhow, I had a JB2 In one of my Kramers and just swapped it into a charvel. Its a GREAT pup! Has less top, nice and chunky and warmer
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarrior View Post
    1 Question about a2jb , what about his low end ?
    Does it sound like cc low end ?
    And Does a2bj need 250k like the stock one ?
    Has a good low end.. much more aggressive than a CC. I hve 500k pot in mine..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    +1. This seems to be the majority opinion here. Your statement is on the mark. Great in brighter woods, not so much in mahogany, where the ice pick & loose low end often appear.
    I dont understand this either.. I love the Jb in my Kramer and I think it sounds huge in my LTD EC400AT. Maybe Im strange..

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am willing to bet the "80's" JB has a different sound than a new one. I had many guitars from 80's with the JB as stock, and loved the sound. I don't like this pickup in newer guitars. Did the pickup change or did the wood in the guitar change?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave67 View Post
    I am willing to bet the "80's" JB has a different sound than a new one. I had many guitars from 80's with the JB as stock, and loved the sound. I don't like this pickup in newer guitars. Did the pickup change or did the wood in the guitar change?
    The older JB's are different probably. Slash's new custom A2P is basically the same thing but has wood spacers and a different type of baseplate I think? The second part could be wrong but the first part is true I know that much. It's supposed to be made to spec like the ones he had in his replica Les Paul in '86 but a tad hotter. I don't know if that really changes the tone but it does enough apparently. I could see different metals with the baseplate but I don't know about the spacers. Maybe though, who knows.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In an alder body super strat with a maple neck and a Floyd Rose, the JB just has this magic sound.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (BKP Rebel Yell/ 59n)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (BKP Rebel Yell/Slash Neck)
    Charvel Journeyman (JB)
    EVH 5150 III
    Mesa Recto 412 cab

Technique can be either your boss or your b*tch.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm loving the tones I get from my Washburn MG90 - it's got a 1-piece mahogany body and a JB trembucker.

I also enjoy the sounds of my strat - 3-piece alder - with a JB Jr.

It really does have the "perfect mids" for the bridge position. And I love mids!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The JB sounds full and rich in Schecter and PRS SE guitars. I'm not sure why, since the JB is supposed to be shrill in mahogany. It may be because of the light weight of said guitars, since none of those are particularly thick or wide slabs. Or maybe the rosewood fretboards. Could also be the wood, which is nato rather than mahogany. *Shrug* How does it sound in an SG?
    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    The JB sounds full and rich in Schecter and PRS SE guitars. I'm not sure why, since the JB is supposed to be shrill in mahogany. It may be because of the light weight of said guitars, since none of those are particularly thick or wide slabs. Or maybe the rosewood fretboards. Could also be the wood, which is nato rather than mahogany. *Shrug* How does it sound in an SG?
    I dont know why people think its shrill in Mahogany.. Mahog is a dark sounding wood, so a brighter pup like the Jb is perfect!

I have a JB (came stock) in my Washburn Steve Salas, LTDEC400ATS (changed to a2 mag for flavor). And one came in my Schecter C1. (sold) The JB sounds huge and crunchy in all and not a bit shrill. Those guitars can sound dark with some pups.

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post
    In an alder body super strat with a maple neck and a Floyd Rose, the JB just has this magic sound.
    The JB got huge in the '80's for that very reason. We were all playing guitars with Floyds (those of us old enoudh to have been gigging then). I dropped a JB into a Kramer Pacer with a maple board, probably a basswood body, a pickguard, and an original Floyd. I played thru a mesa mark III or a quad preamp at the time. That guitar was just incredible. There was a touch of nasal resonance due to the pickguard, combined with the JB's odd EQ curve, it just screamed. But then the 90's happened, Floyds became more niche, and since then folks have gravitated back to more traditional woods and guitars. Necessitating magnet swaps and the like. So it goes.

I'm about to drop an A8 into a Screamin Demon... wish me luck. Don't know what to expect.
    Way 2 Many Guitars....
    Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JB2 = 3 Words.

Jake E. Lee

JB-2 (Holdsworth hybrid) was in his hard/northern ash, white "charvel".
    Hard ash is bright like maple.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wasted two years of equipment purchases and surgery trying to get the LA metal tone. I almost bought a Jackson w a JB but figured out the JB was what I needed. In the eighties I had a LesPaul which put me way behind the curve. Getting the JB meant I could riff with that tight controlled distortion then solo with a clean cutting compressed singing tone , no boost needed. Because I wanted to be able to dial out mids, and a tighter bass, I switched to sh6 Distortion ceramic . .. Which is very satisfying, even for halen or metallica.. however the JB has more character and is sweeter in tone. And very very warm undistorted. but it has to be at the exact right height. In a nutshell, it's not superversatile but it's THE pup for THAT sound, I.e. Ratt, JakeELee SteveStevens , Cantrell, Megadeth, etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read somewhere that warren demartini used a JB with a alnico II and his duncan custom shop sig pup is based on the JB alnico II.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, I'm glad I read this thread.

I've grown sick of trying to get my HSS strats to balance between singles and humbuckers and decided to convert a couple of mine to double humbucker strats. The second strat, I had a Pearly Gates neck, but no bridge humbucker for.

I've read about this A2 JB several times, but in my mind I just imagined it being mushy and muddy, although I like lower output A2 humbuckers. I had an older JB which I kept planning on selling as the regular JB is in the running for my least favorite Duncan pickup.

I just installed it in my strat and it kills. Its not muddy at all, has ample bass, still retains the JB's singing quality and also sounds great clean. The A2 JB and PGn combo is fantastic. This A2 JB definitely does 80's hair metal well.

I'm going back to playing some more.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made the switch in my JB to an alnico 2 magnet today. The guitar is a 2009 Charvel San Dimas 1 Production Model.

If the stock JB bites like a shark, the A2 JB bites like a bear. Still deadly, but not as jagged.

Seriously, the alnico 2 magnet really does turn the JB into a different pickup. It's a very different voice. The highs are less bright, with more smoothness and singing quality. The midrange is much stronger, the bass a tad smoother. Some of the low end thunk is reduced, but not totally gone. It's kind of a flatter EQ curve than the stock sound.

I like it, but I'm not sure yet if it's going to stay. Need to play some more. However, if it does stay, I think the 59 neck is out too. Maybe a Pearly Gates neck will do. I did the PG neck with a Custom Custom in my other Charvel a few weeks back, and I think now that one is my favorite guitar.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins