Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSL-5 vs SSL-6 differences

Support Code 211 When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SSL-5 vs SSL-6 differences

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    There should be a tele custom.
    There is and I own it...
    Last edited by Stratman; 09-24-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    Support Code 211

When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello! Sorry for reviving an old post, but just wanted to ask. Which one could be better for an Squier Affinity Stratocaster. It's my only Strat (SSS) guitar, and no... I don't use it for live shows now, but would like it to be on par with my other guitars with Seymour Duncan pickups.

Should I go for SSL-5 or SSL-6? I really don't understand much about the flat vs staggered poles difference thing. I'm mainly a humbucker guy*
    Now a Solo Artist! Visit Me on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The difference is the magnet stagger. The original purpose of the magnet stagger was to balance the loudness of all strings on vintage instruments. However over time the radius of the fretboards changed as did the gauge of strings and their composition. So the stagger has lost some of its usefulness and is something that is offered for legacy support to keep instruments period correct.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    The difference is the magnet stagger. The original purpose of the magnet stagger was to balance the loudness of all strings on vintage instruments. However over time the radius of the fretboards changed as did the gauge of strings and their composition. So the stagger has lost some of its usefulness and is something that is offered for legacy support to keep instruments period correct.
    Thank you for your kind reply! So that means they're actually the same pickup?
    Which one would you recommend me? SSL-5 or SSL-6?
    I'm thinking of purchasing a set for my birthday.
    Now a Solo Artist! Visit Me on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OsvyRock View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply! So that means they're actually the same pickup?
    Which one would you recommend me? SSL-5 or SSL-6?
    I'm thinking of purchasing a set for my birthday.
    I have a SSL-6 in my Strat because the neck has a super flat 12-16" radius which would cause uneven string-to-string volume if the magnets were staggered. OTOH according to Fender's site Squier Affinities have a 9.5" fingerboard radius which really could go either way, so go with whichever looks better to you or whichever you can get a better price on. FWIW SSL-5s tend to be easier to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.