Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would a rewire cost?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How much would a rewire cost?

Just an estimate. How much would it cost to rewire one guitar?
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    Gear was simple, ya plugged in, turned up and played. The men were separated from the boys. Now it's mostly limp-wristed sissies wearing makeup and scowling at the camera. None of them would have cut it in the dinosaur days, they would have pooped their pants and run home to mummy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How much would a rewire cost?

I've always done it myself, so the price of an iron, solder and whatever parts you need.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At a decent shop, most places will try and hit you for $50-75 maybe more for a simply Strat, Tele or Les Paul...if you start adding push/pulls and mini switches the price will go up.

Just walk away from it for a few hours and come back with a clear head...take your time and do it as neat as possible.
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends upon the complexity of the circuitry. What is your local repairer's minimum bench charge?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what the bench charge is because I've mostly just done my own work.

I just don't really want to mess with this anymore... but I don't want to pay $50+.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    Gear was simple, ya plugged in, turned up and played. The men were separated from the boys. Now it's mostly limp-wristed sissies wearing makeup and scowling at the camera. None of them would have cut it in the dinosaur days, they would have pooped their pants and run home to mummy.

BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How hard can it be?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
    I just don't really want to mess with this anymore... but I don't want to pay $50+.
    STEP 1 - Take a break from repairing your guitar. Make a coffee, smoke a cigarette or whatever it is that you do.

STEP 2 - Go back to the guitar. (I am guessing that it is the same Ibanez that you posted about in the Pickup Lounge.) Solder the original Ibanez HB back into circuit.

This will achieve three things.
    1) You will have a guitar that works.
    2) You will reaffirm your self-confidence in your ability to service electric guitars.
    3) You will have removed any pressure to get your damaged/faulty replacement pickup back into working order in a hurry.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends on what it is. If you're just talking about changing the pots and switch in a Tele, could be as little as $40 (1/2 hour labor, pretty much a minimum bench fee). Replacing everything, pickups and components in a Les Paul or Strat, $60-$80. Full hollowbody rewire, and you could easily be looking at $120 or more in labor.

Lot's of variables, and it pretty much comes down to billable hours for your specific job.

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most stores in my area charge around $60/hour for set-ups, repairs and wiring.
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many guitar store 'techs' know less about wiring guitars than the average forum member. You can shell out $50 to a guy that doesn't know any more than you do.

When you're frustrated, stop. Put the guitar down, come back to it fresh in a few days or a week. Are you working with a good color diagram, like one from this site? Look at the diagram until it makes sense to you. Then tackle soldering again. Look at one part at a time. There is no time limit, you have other guitars to play.

Basic rules:
    1) Every electrical part has a hot & a ground wire attached to it (pots, toggle, and jack). Hot wires are always attached to lugs.

2) All ground wires are interconnected together in one big loop, which ties into the main ground wire from the bridge or tailpeice/stop bar.

3) Miss one of the above points, and you either get noise or no sound at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Many guitar store 'techs' know less about wiring guitars than the average forum member.
    I did a tricked out wiring on a buddies SG. He Had the guitar GC a few weeks ago, And they asked him " Who did this Wiring?" He said " My Friend,Why is there a problem?" They said " NO, Does your friend want a job here?"

Ultimate Tone Slacker Got_tone?'s Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^ See that's the reason why I'd like a job at GC. I'd stand out from the rest of the guys!

*edit*

Just keep at it Andrew, you'll figure out what's wrong with it soon and you'll feel stupid because you couldn't find it earlier.... It's happened to me.
    Last edited by Got_tone?; 02-22-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker eschoendorff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blueman and Funkfingers: excellent advice! Many thanks...

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if it's your ibanez.... if it's all wired up right but won't work, i say you've got some cold joints in there. try re-melting the solder on all the connections you did/redid.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall View Post
    I've done this 3 times. I'm on my phone and drunk right now, so if I haven't responded by tomorrow bump this thread and I'll give you my input :-)

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many guitar store 'techs' know less about wiring guitars than the average forum member. You can shell out $50 to a guy that doesn't know any more than you do.
    big x2, that's why I do all my own work: whether it's on guitars or cars --- because I know that I am more detail oriented than whoever would be doing it, and just as capable of knowing the right way. Also: nobody takes care of your gear / money like YOU DO.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
    Blueman and Funkfingers: excellent advice! Many thanks...
    Everyone who's done much re-wiring has made mistakes, and sometimes it takes a while to find them. We've all been there. You just need to keep coming back when you're fresh. It's there...you 'll find it. This stuff is as low tech as you can get. Just troubleshoot it, one part at a time. Do visual checks with the diagram & use a multimeter. Verify what's right, until you discover what's wrong. You can find the problem. Until everything's working, don't assume that anything you changed was done right. Verify everything. If you're tired & impatient, stay away from that guitar. It'll be a wire on the wrong lug, loose solder connection, missed ground wire, solder dripped where it shouldn't be, etc. It always turns out to be something stupid.

Support Code 211 When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love this post - it's right one the spot!
    Support Code 211

When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's why you never take your instrument to a guitar store to have work done on it. You take your instrument in to a luthier or technician, based on their reputation and referrals. If that tech happens to work for or through a music store, that's fine, but it's foolish to just take a guitar in to a store and trust that the person doing the work will actually know what they're doing simply because it's done in a music store. A lot of stores have some kid who works on the sales floor doing guitar work simply because they feel they can.

Trust your instrument with a reliable tech if you're going to pay to have any work done, not a store.

That said, wiring is not the most complicated thing to work on if you take the time to learn and understand what you're doing. There will always be odd cases which can be difficult to trouble shoot, and if you find yourself at wit's end and simply can't make it work, feel free to give me a call. Toledo may be a bit closer (I'm up in Ann Arbor), but from what I hear, and the amount of business I get from Toledo, I don't know that there are any good techs down there.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Collins View Post
    That's why you never take your instrument to a guitar store to have work done on it. You take your instrument in to a luthier or technician, based on their reputation and referrals.
    +1. Popular tech recruiting method for music stores:

"Okay, all employees up in the front of the store for 5 minutes. Anyone know what this is (holding up a soldering iron) and what it's used for? No, Johnson, it's not a kitchen utensil. You in the back, with the polka dot shirt & striped pants. Yes, that's right, 'some sort of soldering thing.' That's settled then, you're our new tech. By the way, you ever use one of these? Well, don't worry son, you'll get the hang of it before long. We're backed up and you'll get a lot of practice."

(Whispering to a prized regular customer: "If you have anything in our shop for repair, I suggest you take it home immediately").
    Last edited by blueman335; 02-22-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andrew, you are only 60 miles away. If you are up for a road trip I might hook you up...

Shoot me a PM.