Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Deserve a Nice Guitar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: You Deserve a Nice Guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    I own about 8 electric guitars... Surprisingly enough.. the I use on a regular basis and have gigged with the most is the cheapest of the lot.
    This is what I fear. My buddy has two guitars:

1. A parts-o-caster

2. A $1500 fender strat

The parts-o-caster blows the fender out of the water. He never plays the Fender.

I have two mid level guitars that sound great and have stood the test of time, tone and gigs. But I can't help but wonder about an American PRS or a fancy tele

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    +1. Excellent!

Having listened to many players over the years, from beginners to pros, I think I can say with without fear of contradiction, that there are those that do not deserve a nice guitar. Let me assure you, there are some terrible guitar owners out there, with no musical feel whatsoever, no sense of timing or rhythm. Never had it, never will. Notes to them are like alphabet soup. They approach the strings with the hands of a blacksmith pounding out horse shoes. Total hacks, even after playing for years. The sounds they produce range from annoying to migraine-inducing. And yet some of them do have expensive guitars, solely because they can afford them, but in no way do they 'deserve' them. It's one thing to be a 'casual player', it's another to be completely unable to grasp any musical concepts.

To bring an end to the suffering they inflict upon innocent members of society, these tone-deaf, stumble-fingered individuals should set their egos aside and donate their musical equipment to less-fortunate children, who actually may learn how to play them (unlike the donars).

I understand your point and completely agree with the spirit of what you're saying. On a more practical level, though, many (not all) people deserve anything they can afford.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Iron Horse's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're absolutely right, sosomething. The gigging guys are really the ones that don't need expensive instruments, that is if we're talking about regular pub bands. OTOH, if you play at the local jazz club it's probably safe enough to take that Gibson ES-175 with you and the tone is more important in that situation.
    Playing a nice guitar motivates you entirely differently, and you shouldn't think that you get a nice guitar when you play well but you should get one immediately in order to let it inspire your playing.

Ultimate Tone Slacker RushOfBlood's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    I understand your point and completely agree with the spirit of what you're saying. On a more practical level, though, many (not all) people deserve anything they can afford.
    That's a very Texan thing to say
    Quote Originally Posted by krankguitarist View Post
    And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RushOfBlood View Post
    That's a very Texan thing to say
    The honor of being very Texan is mine.

When I played tennis I bought the best racquet I could afford. I hoped in vain that it would help me be a better player. I was a terrible player and never really even mastered basic ground strokes. Undoubtedly, better players on adjacent courts were continuously offended by my balls.

Jessie Sammler

Adam, you are a wise man.

Ultimate Tone Slacker El CHupacabra's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not with the way I play...
    Wes Montgomery is the cat.

New quote finally:
    "You can check the inherent resonance of an acoustic guitar by farting into the soundhole."
    -sosomething

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To everyone: don't confuse "nice" and "expensive."

"Nice" is blind.

To Adam: thank you.

I returned my 1996 American Standard Strat to bone-ass-stock tonight, and it felt like a living thing.

I know a lot of my guitar mods have been cool, and some great, but gawd-damn, they )my friends at F-word) really knew how to put together a player's guitar, stock as your mom's minivan. On cloud 9 / super second honeymoon.
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 03-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're damn right I do!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Loving how so many of my peoples out there are getting it today.

Hunter is right, too - Nice doesn't have to equal Expensive.

It rarely equals cheapest-of-the-cheap - just a fact - good materials cost money - but it DOESN'T have to equal Expensive.

You could gig, record, write songs on, and proudly enjoy any numbers of guitars that sell for under a grand, AND

GET THIS YALL

You WONT have to replace the tuners, bridge, pickups, pots, switches, caps, jack, nut, and deal with a plastic finish applied via bucket.

You can't jump on Allparts and order a new finish.

Guitar Fetish doesn't sell inexpensive Chinese-made replacement finishes.

Cheap junk costs more.

Depending on your taste, you can get a real guitar for between $500 - $1500 and not look like a first-year newjack.

Get yourself a nice guitar.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post

It rarely equals cheapest-of-the-cheap - just a fact - good materials cost money - but it DOESN'T have to equal Expensive.

You could gig, record, write songs on, and proudly enjoy any numbers of guitars that sell for under a grand, AND

GET THIS YALL

You WONT have to replace the tuners, bridge, pickups, pots, switches, caps, jack, nut, and deal with a plastic finish applied via bucket.

Cheap junk costs more.

Depending on your taste, you can get a real guitar for between $500 - $1500 and not look like a first-year newjack.

Hell yeah, man.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a $1500 Hamer Monaco Elite, $350 Epi LP, $200 MiK squire strat, and a recently purchased $700 Charvel San Dimas. None of my other guitars even come close to my Hamer. The San Dimas is a lot of fun to play, and the Epi and Squire are pretty cool too. But the Hamer just feels so....right. To be honest I only bought the San Dimas because I wanted a guitar with a Floyd and they discounted it by $400. Otherwise my next guitar would have been a Jackson Soloist MAH 2H, or something of similar quality. I realize not everyone can afford a guitar like that, and that's okay. If you can't ,find the best deal possible. If you can though, my advice is to dish out the money and get the best quality guitar that you can. It's definitely worth it.

The hard part about all of this is it's very qualitative and impossible to quantify. Alot is just feel and preference. Still, I can immediately tell the difference between a well made (not necessarily expensive) guitar and one that isn't really up to snuff.
    Last edited by Jeff5; 03-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Somebody grab me a strat. I deserve one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You do.

I'm not talking about a custom shop whatever that costs thousands of dollars... those kinds of guitars are great and cool and worth it to a lot of people, but the world is FULL of nice guitars that are in the reasonable $700 - $1500 range (new AND used).

If you play for even just a couple of hours a week, you deserve a nice pro-quality instrument made of good wood with good hardware and good electronics.

You might think "I'm not a very good player. I'd feel silly using a nice guitar. A little last-page bargain beater is good enough for me."

You're wrong!

If you can afford to buy that bargain cheapo right now, you can also afford to hold your money and save a little for a few weeks or months and get something that you won't be embarrassed by or held back by or let down by later.

You will not regret it.

No one has ever regretted it.

You don't have to be Jimmy Page or Brad Paisley or Alex Skolnick to deserve a nice guitar. You don't have to be in a gigging band or write your own songs to deserve a nice guitar. You don't have to be making six figures either.

Young guys own nice guitars.
    Guys with families own nice guitars.
    Casual players own nice guitars.
    You can too, and if you don't - you should!

Owning, holding, playing, heck even LOOKING at a nice guitar is a really fulfilling experience for ANY player. Don't short yourself of that just because you think you're a hack or you have a couple bills burning a hole in your pocket. It doesn't take much more to get a NICE GUITAR.

AND YOU DESERVE IT!
    I totally agree and I will surely follow your advice my friend.
    Play it like you mean it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

two of the best guitars i've ever seen, heard, or played, i own-my mockingbird(which came with tonepros and grovers, and now has duncans btw), and my SG faded. they were only about $500 each including upgrades and cases. now if i only had a stratosumthin' with some 'buckers and a nice trem
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall View Post
    I've done this 3 times. I'm on my phone and drunk right now, so if I haven't responded by tomorrow bump this thread and I'll give you my input :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know I deserve one... That's why there is a guitar under construction in the Warmoth factory at this very moment with my name written all over it...
    Ministers and superstars
    are drinking champagne in their cars
    6 strings on a 12 guitar
    all my dreams are made of stars
    and the rock and roll still burns in me

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of you know that I only play e/2 Explorer's now, I have 3 and I see more on the horizon. I went to Guitar Center last night to check out an Explorer they have and tried some budget guitars, man, they all felt like garbage compared to my e/2's. Try as I could, I could not bond with anything I tried though with a black/white Epi Michael Schenker V they had there almost made me spend $299. It felt almost like the '67 reissue V's I have had but needed a set of pups and that Epi truss rod cover eliminated LOL. The neck felt a lot bigger though. I am still debating going and picking it up, it was one of the limited edition ones. It was stamped 1010/3000 or something like that. It was also stamped "2nd"

So, will I go back and buy it? Not likely but there is always that temptation. I have not owned an import guitar in a longtime now. Maybe I should just save the money and buy another $2k e/2 and know I will be totally happy

Time will tell, I sorta dug that V, reminded me of my original Custom Shop Gibson Schenker V back in the early 80s
    Ladies, as long as I have a face, you will have a place to sit

2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard
    2010 Gibson Explorer '76 RI

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GET THIS YALL

Cheap junk costs more.

YEAH Baby...LET'S DO THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Keisman Thunderbird, EB VPJr,
    Mr Black Double Chorus, T1M DD-5/T1M Tap, Wampler Faux Tape, Mr Black Eterna Reverb