Thread: GFS Wiring Help Needed...

ObsoleteChickenPickingologist Butch Snyder's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default GFS Wiring Help Needed...

Hi all,

I have a GFS Lil Killer. It's a 10k single coil-size dual rail humbucker. It basically looks like an old style Hot Rails for Strat with silver rails instead of black.

Anyway, I wanted to wire it in parallel to brighten it up a little. When I asked GFS for the wiring instructions for that, I was sent this:

"I do not have a schematic for parallel wiring- Just not something we get asked a lot."

jay
    I thought Jay designed the pickups. If he does, wouldn't he know how to wire it for parallel? Okay, if any of you know who to wire their humbuckers in parallel, please share. I would appreciate it.

I have included a diagram of how I believe it should be done. Their green wire is normally hot and black/bare are normally ground. Like Duncan, the red/white are soldered together. I made my best guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 03-17-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: GFS Wiring Help Needed...

^ that's what i'd do; i saw a chart that included GFS at one stage but can't find it, this is actually the best i found quickly... nothing on their page, which seems odd.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i dont have time to actually do the comparisons but first off, just identify which color is which on the duncan vs gfs scheme. Once you have done that just follow the duncan diagram for parallel wiring and adjust any colors as necessary via step one.

if thats what you did to come up with the diagram then id say go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

for parallel aint it just send the the coil split to hot and the hot and ground both to ground

or

send the send the hot to hot the ground to hot and ground the split

And by "split" I mean the red/white pair
    EHD
    . .... -.. .-- ..- .-.. -.. --- .-.. --- --. .. ... -
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    Candy Apple Red Squire HSS / SR500 / Martin 000CE-1
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    Carvin Redline 600 2x10
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    for parallel aint it just send the the coil split to hot and the hot and ground both to ground

or

send the send the hot to hot the ground to hot and ground the split

And by "split" I mean the red/white pair
    If you follow Seymour's diagram, you're basically taking the "South Finish" (red) and connecting it with the "North Start" black). You then connect all the rest to ground.

For the GFS, which did not work BTW, I looked at the color codes. From their diagram, they mimic the Duncan wire colors; except, their green is hot (weird) and their black is ground. All others are the same.

When I tried it last night, I got no sound out of the pickup. I unwired it and, with my multimeter, began testing. I reversed the white and red wires and got a 2.54k reading (odd). The pickup, when wired normally, reads about 10k and it's kinda fat; almost like a Cool Rails. I wanted to brighten it up a bit. I may try it again this weekend.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Black and Green should be swappable for phase correction/inversion with other brands, so it's not really weird.

If they reverse black and green from Duncan's design, then they should (theoretically) also reverse red and white.
    For Duncan, it's Red+Green and Black+White for each coil, so for GFS it should be Green+White and Black+Red.

Ergo, for the Duncan parallel wiring which is Black+Red to Hot, Green+White to Ground, then for the GFS it should be Green+White to Hot, Black+Red to Ground.

Remember when testing to include the ground wire to whatever color is going to ground.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    Black and Green should be swappable for phase correction/inversion with other brands, so it's not really weird.

If they reverse black and green from Duncan's design, then they should (theoretically) also reverse red and white.
    For Duncan, it's Red+Green and Black+White for each coil, so for GFS it should be Green+White and Black+Red.

Ergo, for the Duncan parallel wiring which is Black+Red to Hot, Green+White to Ground, then for the GFS it should be Green+White to Hot, Black+Red to Ground.

Remember when testing to include the ground wire to whatever color is going to ground.
    Awesome, I will try tonight maybe...

New drawing attached.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 03-18-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember, it's all theoretical. They might use Black+Red and Green+White for all I know.

Perhaps if they were a little more forthcoming in their design/wiring details beyond "this here's how ya warr up yer Strat, Telly, and Lester, y'all".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    Remember, it's all theoretical. They might use Black+Red and Green+White for all I know.

Perhaps if they were a little more forthcoming in their design/wiring details beyond "this here's how ya warr up yer Strat, Telly, and Lester, y'all".
    Yeah, when I asked Jay, the guy I thought designed all the pickups, he said he didn't have a parallel mode diagram. I thought, just tell me if I'm right or not....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the underside pic of the Lil Killer at the GFS site:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-5020611..._2090_18915537

It does appear they follow Duncan's wiring scheme of Green+Red and Black+White, but in reverse (Green+Red = South on the GFS). So, you should get parallel with Green+White to Hot and the others to Ground.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put this pickup in my friend's guitar with a coil tap switch, but not a series/ parallel. But here's what I do in these cases:
    1. Leave the hot and ground hooked up as normal and disconnect - seperate - the two coil junction wires.
    2. take an ohm meter and test for an impedance reading between the hot wire and the two separated junction wires. You should get nothing on one and, in your case, 5K on the other.
    3. The one that reads 5K is now your 2nd ground wire. Test the other junction wire against ground and again, you should get 5K. This is now your 2nd hot wire. connect it with the stock hot wire.

If you don't have a meter, just undo the junction and put each one to ground until you get one coil working by itself. then pair up the other one with the original hot wire. you get two seperate working coils - Parrallel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do I have to ask Seymour himself this? I know it's not too likely someone will have tried it, but three Cool Rails in the same guitar? Everybody has a Hot rail in the bridge and they are just not my bag (mine found a happy home in my '51 P-bass copy).

I'm building a Strat style and I want a good old fashioned "3 of the same pickup" setup with HB's. Need good Strat wrangle, a little less scooped out, a bit more knuckles.

I like Lawrence L-250's and DiMarzio HS-2 so far. Love the GFS single coils but not their Strat 'buckers. May go with Fender Hot Noiseless. Was told on gearpage that the Vintage rails aren't what I'm describing. Want comments on Cool Rails first.

Anybody?