Thread: Dragonfire Pickups

Ultimate Tone Slacker Franknfilms's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dragonfire Pickups

Anyone ever heard of these? I have a crappy old fender copy (my first guitar) that is probably made out of plywood. I'm not going to spend anything over $40 on a new loaded pickguard for it. Dragonfire makes really cheap loaded pickguards with 3 single coil ceramic magnets. I'm going to buy one. I was just wondering if anyone was at all familiar with Dragonfire. They also make high output humbuckers that I'm curious about.

dragonfireguitars.com
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Tim Shaw's
    Frankencaster: SM-3n Seymourized Mini, Norton
    Schecter C1+: 59n, Custom UOA5, Triple Shots
    Cruise Strat: EMG 58
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Genz-Benz Tribal 2x12 cab, Eminence Private Jacks
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dragonfire Pickups

Are you looking at selling the guitar or using it? If selling it, grab the cheapest one you can find. If you're planning on using it, the Dragonfire one is probably *ok*, but I've heard good things about the cheap AlNiCo GFS loaded pickguards:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alpiprstpiwh.html
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the link, that looks like a good buy. Unfortunately, that pickguard is no longer in stock. I do plan on keeping the guitar for sentimental reasons so it might as well sound good too. Dragonfire is a bit cheaper and offers a whole assortment of colors and odd styles to make my weird strat copy even weirder. I'll report back on how it sounds.
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...at%20Copy/10/1
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GFS has a few others, I thought you wanted a white/white one.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see, looks good. Maybe I'll return my dragonfire for one of these Alnico ones. The dragonfire uses ceramic, I'm guessing that the alnicos will sound better.
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only Dragonfire pickups I've heard are the distortions, now called the screamers. The bridge is a copy of the Dimarzio Super Distortion, and the neck matched up very well in my guitar. The bridge is 16.9k and the neck is 8.3k. I have a Dimarzio Mo'Joe in my other Les Paul, so I wanted something more vintage in this one, hence, I replaced the Dragonfire's with an APH-1b and P.A.F. As far as the sound, I actually liked the bridge a little better than a super distortion, as the notes rang out a bit clearer, and I loved the neck pickup for bluesy rock licks. Hope this helped a little.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended buying a pickguard from a mim strat, it has a GFS lil' killer in the bridge. I haven't installed yet, it is a pretty low priority but hopefully within the month.
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15