Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldano Slo vs. Evh 5150 iii

Ultimate Tone Member Brown Note's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Soldano Slo vs. Evh 5150 iii

Preamp is not the only thing contributing to the sound and marshall had "100W" jmp amps with actual power ranging from 70watts to about 130-150(all with 4 el 34's) and they definetly sound very very different from each other.

The signal chain in soldano rectifier and, apart from having an extra stage with identical values as the previous, 5150 is not similar, but identical. Exactly the same copied, whatever you want to call it. They have different channel switching and that does change the schematic, but the signal chain is the same. That's probably the reason they sound similar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have had both. They sound a lot a like. Same hump, same sizzle, the 5150 iii has more gain though. Actually it's a pretty great amp. I borrowed one from a friend for a few months (lol) and if I were to go out and buy another head that might be the one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've heard the original Mesa dual rectifier was based on the SLO design as well. But don't ask me to get technical because I can't.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As mentioned I have the 3 preamp schematics and all 3 of the preamps for the SLO 100,5150,and the Dual Rec are so close...Soldano had the original preamp design before Peavey and Mesa though.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.