Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I left a 40W soldering iron plugged in for 9 days

Mo Cow Bellologist texasguitarslinger's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I left a 40W soldering iron plugged in for 9 days

Quote Originally Posted by scott_f View Post
    i dropped my iron on our dining room wood floor one time and burned a cigarette mark looking thing on it. I basically just didn't say anything. My daughter was in high school at the time and had a party a few days later. Wife blamed her rat nasty friends for smoking in our home and these kids were such bungholes, i let them take the rap. Yeah, that's how i roll.
    lol
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why don't you get a proper soldering station? If you have a workbench that is a great thing to have.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am going to look at those.

As long as I can get a pretty slim / non-bulky iron and tip, I'm good. I like the ultra-fine tips and I like a really skinny iron that doesn't get in the way. I assume that a true soldering station will allow the iron itself to be a fair amount smaller, so that's definitely a good move for me!

Lucidfer, Lord of Darkness Lucid_Lunatic's Avatar
    Putting the "FUN" in functional alcoholic
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    I assume you'd be Face, and Ace would be B.A. Can I play Murdock?
    Sorry, Jerryjg is gonna be B.A. and I was assuming I'd be Murdock since I'm a little nutters.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
    Sorry, Jerryjg is gonna be B.A. and I was assuming I'd be Murdock since I'm a little nutters.
    You don't know how much I love paprika.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had one of those *phew* moments last summer. I was pouring gas into my lawnmower from a 5 gallon can with a lit cigarette in my mouth. I wasn't thinking at all. Nothing happened but if an ash or amber fell I'd be dead right now.
    Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Yeah man! Every man has "oh sh*t!" moments in any given day, but today's was "extra special!.
    Lol, yeah bro, I'm not one to supposition, but sometimes you doing something that screams "WHAT IF!!!" lmao. I am very glad that in this case all you got was a realization and not an insurance claim

cg
    -Blasphemy is a victimless crime

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

cg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    I had one of those *phew* moments last summer. I was pouring gas into my lawnmower from a 5 gallon can with a lit cigarette in my mouth. I wasn't thinking at all. Nothing happened but if an ash or amber fell I'd be dead right now.
    In Hamburg there was a famous case like that, he dropped the "Fluppe" like they call it there while refilling the lawnmower.

He was fine.

But he shouldn't have done it inside his garage which is, sorry - was, integrated into his house. Apparently it was a pretty fire.

Ultimate Tone Slacker KoreanGuitarMan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As long as I can get a pretty slim / non-bulky iron and tip, I'm good. I like the ultra-fine tips and I like a really skinny iron that doesn't get in the way. I assume that a true soldering station will allow the iron itself to be a fair amount smaller, so that's definitely a good move for me!
    Absolutely, and the cords are much more pliable. Much more comfortable to use than a standalone iron. Also having a temperature controlled, rather than wattage controlled, soldering station makes soldering so much easier. They also get up to and maintain temperature MUCH better than irons.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanGuitarMan View Post
    Absolutely, and the cords are much more pliable. Much more comfortable to use than a standalone iron. Also having a temperature controlled, rather than wattage controlled, soldering station makes soldering so much easier. They also get up to and maintain temperature MUCH better than irons.
    Bingo! A temperature controlled iron can actually sense a temp drop, and pump up the iron's tip with more current, for extra heat. De-soldering operations with de-soldering braid often need that extra thermal power bump.

These days, so many manufacturers are spec-ing poorly engineered pc boards. Often, you only get one good crack at it, before you start to wipe out thin copper traces on thin as hell pc boards, with the higher temp Pb free (lead free) solders.

Trying to tackle soldering with a crusty POS tip might actually wipe out a solder trace. People who mod pedals need to control the heat put to pc boards, because repeated heating from installation/re-installation of various components can stress a pc board to failure (copper trace lifting).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use two of these on my workbench: http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko936-1...FQNbbQod8Cxzlw

These units are rock solid. I bought my own home unit on ebay for $50 a few years ago. For well under $100, a standard Hakko 936-12 is fantastic! It is an industry standard. The -12 designation means it has the medium wand/tip, and that means it has the hugest selection of tips available. Hakko 900M tips for 936-12 will last you a lifetime, for casual users.

These better Hakko units use a rapid ceramic heater, rather than a pissy and slow resistive heating element, ala Radio Shack.

The standard tip is far less chunky-clunky than any embarassing POS Radio Shack unit, and the chisel tip is precise enough to be turned 90 degrees for much finer work. Hakko build tips that are far beyond Radio Shack trash. This crusty Hakko tip on the right...was used for 7 years, even after being left "on" for weekends at a time:

After use, the chisel became rounded...but the underlying layers of the metalurgical build quality still made it a viable tool, until it could no longer transfer enough heat.

Also, this unit has 50 watts of temp controlled power, so it has heat reserve beyond a simple "iron", which has a max temp, and diminishes as soon as it used.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

try and work out how much electricity that cost you

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome stuff on the soldering stations!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome stuff on the soldering stations!
    Thanks! Be aware of fakey Hakko knock-offs. These are usually off-branded solder station look-alikes from China. Hakko is a Japanese company, and all the genuine 936 units I have seen have been made in Singapore.

Hakko 900M tips. Awesome selection. I can't think of much reason for anyone to need more than two sizes for pedal mods, pickup replacements, and pickup cover removal. It shows how much they are depended upon worldwide, for a reasonably priced unit:

http://www.hakkousa.com/products.asp?CID=192,212,214

One of the things I really like about the Hakko, is the solid metal iron holder. It is heavy, doesnt move, and does not flop around like a spring holder, or some completely ignorant sheet metal stand, that is supposed to hold a hot Radio Shack iron.

Weller (Cooper Tools) sells all variety of well built solder gear, as well.
    Last edited by Sludgenutz; 04-22-2010 at 09:47 PM.