Thread: power supply input on boss pedals

ozzynotwood

Default power supply input on boss pedals

Is there any difference between the power supply input on the Jap and Taiwain Boss pedals?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: power supply input on boss pedals

"Powering the older pedals designed for 12V DC input with either a newer ACA or PSA adapter will not work very well. The voltage drop over the resistor and diode will prevent the pedal from getting enough power and its LED will usually only glow faintly. The solution is to use a daisy chain and plug in another pedal designed for the newer ACA or PSA adapter. The lead between the two pedals will short the resistor diode pair and the pedal will receive full power."

http://www.bossarea.com/other/aca.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    It's a federal crime to transport A Minor across state lines for purposes of blues.

http://www.facebook.com/gegjm

ozzynotwood

Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    "Powering the older pedals designed for 12V DC input with either a newer ACA or PSA adapter will not work very well. The voltage drop over the resistor and diode will prevent the pedal from getting enough power and its LED will usually only glow faintly. The solution is to use a daisy chain and plug in another pedal designed for the newer ACA or PSA adapter. The lead between the two pedals will short the resistor diode pair and the pedal will receive full power."

I'm not asking about voltages.

Human powerplant Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same adapter size if that is what you asked!?

ozzynotwood

Quote Originally Posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    Same adapter size if that is what you asked!?
    Any differences really, I wanna make sure older jap pedals will connect to my 1spot MC8 daisy chain.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You still might wanna read what Mr Astro posted about the older Boss pedals.....they want 12v.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post

This is EXACTLY true!

I have an older SD1 and an older CE3 and both need to be daisy chained next to another pedal otherwise the LED won't light up.
    Gibson, PRS, Fender, Patrick Eggle, JJ, BC Rich, Gordon Smith, Jackson, Squier, Ibanez and Home-built Guitars.

Splawn Quick Rod, Soldano SLO Clone, Marshall JCM800, Matamp + old Carlsbro amps, Zilla and Award Session speaker cabs.

Mainly HomeBrew Electronics and G2D FX, plus a few other.

My local shop and Seymour Duncan Dealer: http://www.crazytrainmusic.co.uk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I normally mod that stuff, just so I can use normal 9v supplies

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzynotwood View Post
    Any differences really, I wanna make sure older jap pedals will connect to my 1spot MC8 daisy chain.
    Whether they're Jap or Tawain is not the issue really - are they ASA or PSA type. Look at the bottom plate of the pedal.

If PSA then they will take a regulated 9v supply, if they are ASA (usually older pedals) then they will need 12v unregulated. However this can be got around noting the advice of the other contributors to this thread.

If its international power differences you're worried about, then no need to worry. All PSA pedals have the same requirements reagardless of manufacturer location, as do ASA pedals. Its the wall transformer that makes the step down and filters etc to make the pedal compatible with your regions AC voltage (115, 240 etc).