Thread: How much can an A2P be over-wound ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How much can an A2P be over-wound ?

I am thinking of getting someone (Duncan maybe?) to over-wound a set of stock A2P's for me.

I want a warmer (...& even thicker), and slightly hotter A2P set.

How much space is there to add more windings ?
    Does anyone know?
    Has anyone ever done this to an A2P unit ?
    Will extra windings add some thicker warmth and a bit more drive ?

Thanx to all
    Tele, SG, LP Jr & Tokai LS92 into FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / block letter 5150 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 (2x V30's) / Marshall Class 5 combo

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How much can an A2P be over-wound ?

why not just get the Slash set? Those are slightly overwound.

Adding extra winding will generally decrease treble and increase midrange and output. Overwinding will get you what you want, probably. You can overwind quite a bit but going to heavy can make you lose the "openness" of the a2pro. I would recommend overwinding by not more than about 4 or 5% of the stock windings.

The benefit of getting one done by the duncan custom shop is you can get it overwound and scatterwound, while having it feel like an a2 pro. Other people may use different wire and wind their own patterns and they'd get you a nice a2 pickup but who knows how it'd sound compared to an a2pro with more windings.

An easier and less expensive idea is, if you want the alnico II pro sound with a slightly warmer and ruder neck pickup that still has the same feel, and a bridge pickup that feels like a super-duper-mega-magic-a2P, get a 59n with an a2 magnet and a Custom Custom.
    Last edited by FuseG4; 04-24-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    ----
    Kureha, my Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
    Makoto, my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
    Fender Champion 20
    Fender Rumble 40

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    why not just get the Slash set? Those are slightly overwound.

Adding extra winding will generally decrease treble and increase midrange and output. Overwinding will get you what you want, probably. You can overwind quite a bit but going to heavy can make you lose the "openness" of the a2pro. I would recommend overwinding by not more than about 4 or 5% of the stock windings.

The benefit of getting one done by the duncan custom shop is you can get it overwound and scatterwound, while having it feel like an a2 pro. Other people may use different wire and wind their own patterns and they'd get you a nice a2 pickup but who knows how it'd sound compared to an a2pro with more windings.

An easier and less expensive idea is, if you want the alnico II pro sound with a slightly warmer and ruder neck pickup that still has the same feel, and a bridge pickup that feels like a super-duper-mega-magic-a2P, get a 59n with an a2 magnet and a Custom Custom.

Thanx for the info mate

I am looking at a hotter version of the Slash unit and warmer/thicker.
    From what i heard there is a too small of a diff between the stock A2P's, that i allready have, and the new Slash sig's.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr & Tokai LS92 into FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / block letter 5150 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 (2x V30's) / Marshall Class 5 combo

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can order anything you want from the CS.

Don't get hung up on details and numbers, winds, wire size and all that crap...just call MJ and tell her you want a set of Alnico II Pro's but a little thicker and hotter...let her do the rest!

MJ winds pickups for everybody from Mark Knopfler to Jeff Beck to me!...she's one of the best and knows just how to do it!
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    You can order anything you want from the CS.

Don't get hung up on details and numbers, winds, wire size and all that crap...just call MJ and tell her you want a set of Alnico II Pro's but a little thicker and hotter...let her do the rest!

MJ winds pickups for everybody from Mark Knopfler to Jeff Beck to me!...she's one of the best and knows just how to do it!

Thanx . . . that is what i want to hear !

Looks like i will give MJ a bell next month.

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are limited with how much 42 gauge you can get on a bobbin, about 10k on a typical humbucker with matched coils. 10k is pretty beefy though, so somewhere up to that point ought to do it, unless you're talking high output.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    You are limited with how much 42 gauge you can get on a bobbin, about 10k on a typical humbucker with matched coils. 10k is pretty beefy though, so somewhere up to that point ought to do it, unless you're talking high output.

Thanx for the info.
    And, No, i do not want JB type of out put.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have some of custom wound pickups. i have 9k, 10k, 11k paf type pickups. I think that the 9k nicely growls up but retains enough highs, the 10k is somewhat on the limit and 11k dont work with a standard magnet. I got a double thick A5 for the 11k.
    You should alos look into the standard Custom Shop pickup: there is the very nice 78
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so -Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ where'd you get the double-thick A5?

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dr. ad View Post
    ^ where'd you get the double-thick A5?
    Just stack two A5's?