Thread: Facebook sneaking into my email?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Facebook sneaking into my email?

On the right hand side of the Facebook page, I got a friend suggestion for a guy, we'll call him Mr. X, from California. No mutual friends or anything, no Facebook-related connection whatsoever. But I recognized the name. Searched through my Hotmail, and yes; a paypal payment confirmation for a pedal I bought in November 2006 from Mr. X.

Not that I am building my own tinfoil hat, but I don't think that's cool. Might be that Mr. X might have gotten an email leakage or something.. Doesn't matter that much in this instance, but how in the world could Facebook find that this data was useful for them/me? And what other data do they have access to?

Strange.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Facebook sneaking into my email?

there are ots of scary thigns about facebook

its best not to worry, just cover your ass (dont use anything too personal)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Facebook has always asked me if I would like it to automatically add contacts from my hotmail account. I have always declined.
    Every love that made me lose my reasoning. Every chord that made my conscience ache. Every day spent counting hours. Well, none of them comes close to singing back a song inside my head.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I posted something similar awhile back. I don't have a facebook profile but I sometimes get requests. In those requests is the "other people on facebook you may know." In those lists are old high school friends, family, and even people from this and other web forums I subscribe to under the name Gamera. Gamera! How the hell?

Don't be so quick to knock those tinfoil hats just yet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They only go through your email contacts when you sign up. Never again after that.

What probably happened was that Mr X signed up and you were in his contacts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How does facebook even access your email contacts? Is that some sort of super secret info-sharing that happens between freebee ymail/gmail/hotmail and facebook hidden somewhere in the contract when you sign-up for those free mail services?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has the ability to import your contacts and find friends from your address book. It asked me to do that when I signed up, but I declined. Any chance you may have done that at some point?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera View Post
    How does facebook even access your email contacts? Is that some sort of super secret info-sharing that happens between freebee ymail/gmail/hotmail and facebook hidden somewhere in the contract when you sign-up for those free mail services?
    It can access your account and get the contact list. It's a fairly straightforward thing, technically speaking, as long as you provide the password for your e-mail.

You do have to consent to it when you sign up. If you say no, they don't do it.

After you sign up, they never do it again unless you ask them to. They don't store your e-mail password.

Facebook has a lot of creative and clever ways to find matches between people, but they don't barge into your e-mail account without your consent, even if it seems like they are.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    They only go through your email contacts when you sign up. Never again after that.

What probably happened was that Mr X signed up and you were in his contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall View Post
    It has the ability to import your contacts and find friends from your address book. It asked me to do that when I signed up, but I declined. Any chance you may have done that at some point?
    As RD suggested, it was prolly Mr. X that signed me up as a contact.

Don't understand Gamara's case, though..

Jessie Sammler

I'm getting a tinfoil hat.

A while back, I posted a thread about how Photobucket was hitting me up to be "Photobucket Phriends" with people they thought I knew. Well, some of those people were forum members whom Photobucket should have no reason to think I knew. Creepy.

Now, YouTube is matching me with people and companies I know in real life from an e-mail address that I don't use on YouTube.

Conclusion: I'm getting the tinfoil hat overnighted for Saturday delivery.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Mr X signed up and you were in his contacts.
    boom