Thread: PA-TB2 (stock) vs. PA-TB1 (A8)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default PA-TB2 (stock) vs. PA-TB1 (A8)

Title says it all. Looking at one of these pups.
    PA-TB2 (stock) vs. PA-TB1 (A8)

Tight, thick, growly, and full of harmonics is what I need.

Gimme some differences between the two options.

Going through a Peavey XXX.
    Last edited by Frogman; 06-02-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member mustaine-who?'s Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: PA-TB2 (stock) vs. PA-TB1 (A8)

PATB-2 is compressed as hell...tight...lotsa output. I wouldn't use the word growly...

No clue on a PATB-18...

A8s in general add low mids...roll off the highs...but are not grindie or growly IME...
    Gear:
    -Caparison TAT Frozen Sky
    -Ibanez RG550 Heather Blue w/Maple board
    Amps:
    -Engl Screamer
    -Peavey XXX
    Cabinet
    -VHT FB 4x12
    Effects:
    -TS-9 w/chaos mod, MXR 10 band, ISP Decimator, PW Tuner

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried an A2 PA-TB3. Bad idea.
    This machine kills fascists

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattPete View Post
    I tried an A2 PA-TB3. Bad idea.
    Well that would be taming the already tame pup of the three.

I'm looking for teh Br00talz

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PATB-1 isn't about brootality, it's about balance.

If you want all out agression, start with a pickup designed for that kind of tone.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have your heart set on one of those I would definitely go for the deuce, maybe try an A8 in that.

A8 not growly? I've only used in one pickup, the Detonator, but it growls like nothing I've ever heard, it doesn't compress like A2 or ceramics, so it seems real loud. I hate to suggest that one because I don't think most people would get off on it like I do, but you did say brootalz, there's none more. I'm pretty sure it would be the same as an Invader with the spacer mags removed and a A8 with a spacer underneath.
    HAIL HYDRA

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fowl2338 View Post
    Well that would be taming the already tame pup of the three.

I'm looking for teh Br00talz
    That's the PATB-2, then.

The PATB-1 with A8 should be pretty close to a Custom 8 (given the PATB-1's similarity to the Custom 5), only with slightly higher output, a hair deeper overall voicing, but enough extra harmonics [it really doesn't feel just like more treble or presence] from the polepiece structure to not be darker.

The PATB-2 does a similar sort of thing to the Distortion, only it's MUCH more overwound, yet without most of the downsides of overwinding a normal pickup. It's all about aggression. And yet it can manage sweet more easily than most hot ceramics.

I'd expect the PATB-1 A8 will handle a wider range of tones more easily, though for a hot ceramic pickup, I've heard people pull off some surprisingly good cleans & lower gain tones with the PATB-2. For all out aggression, the PATB-2 wins, though I'd be surprised if the PATB-1 A8 is a slouch there.

[and yeah, I've said most of this in some form or another to you before, but thread bump & fishing for dis/agreement... :]

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by King IzzO))) View Post
    If you have your heart set on one of those I would definitely go for the deuce, maybe try an A8 in that.

A8 not growly? I've only used in one pickup, the Detonator, but it growls like nothing I've ever heard, it doesn't compress like A2 or ceramics, so it seems real loud. I hate to suggest that one because I don't think most people would get off on it like I do, but you did say brootalz, there's none more. I'm pretty sure it would be the same as an Invader with the spacer mags removed and a A8 with a spacer underneath.
    The PATB equivalent of that would be the PATB-2 with A8 [oops, sorry, missed the initial PATB-2 A8 suggestion. Apparently we're in violent agreement.]. PATB-1 A8 should be closer to a Custom 8. Only "bigger".

A good point about compression, the PATB-1 is going to be less compressed yet feel very loud.

But for all out aggression, I think the PATB-2 is the best Seymour Duncan I've heard. (Though I do think the Invader is better than it's generally given credit for on here, the PATB-2 is more flexible, and better for leads and cleans, without weakening riffs & rhythms.)
    Last edited by Despair; 06-03-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Violent agreement

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to try a PATB-2 pretty bad, but I just got the El Diablo. Maybe next time.
    HAIL HYDRA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good idea about the A8 PATB2. But where do you find a spacer for that?

I suppose I could just get the PATB2, and if it was too much, throw in a A8 or even an A5 mag to tame it.
    Last edited by Frogman; 06-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made a spacer with some heavy cardboard (NOT corrugated), but you can use plastic or whatever, just needs to be the right thickness.

A5 will probably scoop the mids, but an A5 BK Warpig isn't scooped, and it looks like they have similar specs. Maybe the overwind increases the mids enough to counteract the magnet, so maybe you're on to something there. I wish I had one to try.
    HAIL HYDRA

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, the JB is the Distortion with A5. PATB-2 is a Parallel Axis Distorion. So that'd make the PATB-2 with A5 into a PA JB. Maybe. (The PATB-2 is the most overwound of the Parallel Axis pickups, which I'd speculate is partly done to prevent the harmonic emphasis from the polepieces from turning into too much bite.)

I wouldn't expect A5 to make a pickup with that low a resonant peak to sound scooped.

While we're considering magnet swaps, I wonder how an A2 PATB-2 would please Warren de Martini or George Lynch, since they have custom shop overwound A2 JB variants...

[I suspect A2 is the most likely of the common magnets to behave surprisingly, in such an extremely overwound pickup. And given there seems to be more hate for A2 in the PATB-3 than for A2 in the '59...]

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The PATB-2 is wound to 21K, a JB/DD is only 16.5 or so, pretty big difference there. I think the effect of the pole pieces must be pretty prominent.
    HAIL HYDRA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The PATB-2, I wouldn't say it does brootalz in the way we've come know in the past decade. It's more of a hi-fi wall of sound that surrounds you rather punching you in the face. Not as bitey or as tight as an SH-6 Distortion but more full and even. Not sure if I would call it thick. It's not scooped, however the mids are not so raw and in your face. It's got some growl to it and I've never quite played a pickup where the harmonics fly off the fretboard like a PATB-2 does.

I like the PATB-3 much more so, it's quite thick but probably not as aggressive or tight enough for what you're looking for.

Never used a PATB-1 myself. From what I've read it seems to be quite thick and aggressive but perhaps not too tight either.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    The PATB-2, I wouldn't say it does brootalz in the way we've come know in the past decade. It's more of a hi-fi wall of sound that surrounds you rather punching you in the face. Not as bitey or as tight as an SH-6 Distortion but more full and even. Not sure if I would call it thick. It's not scooped, however the mids are not so raw and in your face. It's got some growl to it and I've never quite played a pickup where the harmonics fly off the fretboard like a PATB-2 does.

I like the PATB-3 much more so, it's quite thick but probably not as aggressive or tight enough for what you're looking for.

Never used a PATB-1 myself. From what I've read it seems to be quite thick and aggressive but perhaps not too tight either.
    I have a (so far, stock) PATB-1, it's tight, but has strong lower mids & bass, which can make some amps behave oddly.

The PATB-2 doesn't have the harsh ceramic bite to the same degree as most ceramics, but if you push up the treble/presence it's there if you want it. That's what I love about it. It can do the harsh rhythm tones well, but can do leads that don't want that, too. It's got more growl than the Distortion or Custom, tends to be thicker. It's not a jack of all trades, master of none. It's definitely friendliest to metal tones. It's just not overspecialized.

Really, listen to daemon barbeque's samples again. It sounds that good through a POD, without heavy outboard processing or massive EQ... Not likely to sound worse through a Peavey XXX.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You just sold me another pickup...
    HAIL HYDRA