Thread: Compare Ibanez Super 58's to SD humbuckers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Compare Ibanez Super 58's to SD humbuckers

Does anyone know how the Ibanez Super 58's compare to different Seymour Duncan humbuckers.
    I'm interested in upgrading my Talman TC825. It has two Super 58's, and a bigsby. I've always been very dissatisfied with tone of it. It has more than enough gain, but it has always sounded too bright and thin. I even replaced the volume pot with a lower resistance one in hopes of tameing some of the high end. It made it less bright, but it is still really thin sounding
    Thanks for all your info.
    Last edited by FireBros.; 10-23-2004 at 02:43 PM.
    "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Compare Ibanez Super 58's to SD humbuckers

In my experience, Ibanez pickups are good.

As paperweights. Or fridge magnets.

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll be much more pleased with a set of Duncan humbuckers.

If you want to fatten up that Talman, I'd go with a Pearly Gates neck and a Custom Custom inthe bridge. They'll be fatter than what you have now, and they'll still have more clarity.
    Last edited by Benjy_26; 10-23-2004 at 08:36 PM.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Re: Compare Ibanez Super 58's to SD humbuckers

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26
    In my experience, Ibanez pickups are good.

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll be much more pleased with a set of Duncan humbuckers.

If you want to fatten up that Talman, I'd go with a Pearly Gates neck and a Custom Custom inthe bridge. They'll be fatter than what you have now, and they'll still have more clarity.
    Thanks Benjy. I was wondering, is that a setup that you use, and if it is, what type of guitar is it on, and what amp do you normally play it through? Also how is the low end on the custom custom in the bridge position, especially clean.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I have a Pearly Gates set in my Les Paul, and an APH/CC set in my Carvin. I normally play through either a BF Bassman head through a 2x12 open back cab( w/ Celestion Vin 30's), or my Boss GT-6 into a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp into the same cab. The CC has a lot of low mids with a rolled back bass response, so it sounds kind of "spongey" in the low end. It's not a bad sound, but it is softer in the lows than say, a Custom, JB, or especially a C5. In a bright guitar though, it's my favorite bridge pickup. The big low mids really help fill out the sound.

The PG for the neck has a cool hollow quality with a slight bump in the upper mid frequencies and a softer high end than a 59 but it still retains a very clean low end response, especially for an Alnico II neck humbucker. It sounds thick, but I have yet to make it sound boomy.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26

The Ibanez/Powersound pickups. The best ranged weapon against dogs because they are extremely well balanced when thrown and have the best CW/wheight ratio in the market today

For the Talman a Pearly/Pearly set would be great.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo
    The Ibanez/Powersound pickups. The best ranged weapon against dogs because they are extremely well balanced when thrown and have the best CW/wheight ratio in the market today

For the Talman a Pearly/Pearly set would be great.
    Do certain pickups work better against certain dogs, or does it depend more on you preference and throwing style.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Compare Ibanez Super 58's to SD humbuckers

Quote Originally Posted by FireBros.
    Do certain pickups work better against certain dogs, or does it depend more on you preference and throwing style.
    LOL!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's all up to throwing style. The Powersound pickup won't let the personal character of the dog shining through.

I prefer the slinging technique. The most important is the lenght of the wire and the wheight of the pickup. Generally, DiMarzios fly slow because of the lighter material. Seymours fly faster and have a deep impact but they are primarily intended to scare away and hurt the opponent, not to kill (e.g. Invader ergonomic anti-personnel round black-oxide screws). EMGs have pretty heavy ranged damage, especially if you leave the wires and all the circuit mods and the battery, it will slice the opponent into pieces if aimed properly. But don't be fooled: none of these knock-offs can match the hunting abilities of a sniping-class real Powersound p-up!

Swingle coils are the best against smaller dogs with lots of trebly and biting hi-mid tone. Be careful and experiment a lot but don't afraid: if you miss a small dog with an appropriate swingle coil it will improve bite and improve your overall volume, sppeed and dynamics but you can re-set yourself pretty quickly. If you hit the dog with a swingle coil pickup it will improve its overall volume, speed and dynamics.

Hambuckers are for bigger dogs with more lows and biting lo-mids that are muddy and heavy. Naturally these dogs have a darker tone. Since the chunk of dog is bigger, it is easier to get a good result. If you sling a hamby to the neck position of such a dark soundoing dog it will improve overall volume, adds treble and dynamics. If you aim well it will improve the dog's speed. If you aim bad and can't slap the hambucker none to the neck or the hardtail positions, it will improve your speed to a devastating level.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 10-27-2004 at 07:46 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

necro, this is the post of the day! frickin hilarious!!!!

to add my .02 dont bother with ibanez pups.. they are total crap. bridges are usually way too trebbly, the necks dont even sound like a neck humbucker should. their single coils.. not even gonna comment on it.

like said, ibanez pups are good paperweights.

do yourself a favor and go with a duncan. if you're in the US and buy from a licensed dealer, you got 21 days to return them for a diferent pup if the tone doesnt work for your type of music
    As I climb onto your back, I will promise not to sting
    I will tell you what you want to hear and not mean anything
    Then I treat you like a dog as I shoot my venom in
    You pretend you didn't know that I am a scorpion, ya!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone know how the Ibanez Super 58's compare to different Seymour Duncan humbuckers.
    I'm interested in upgrading my Talman TC825. It has two Super 58's, and a bigsby. I've always been very dissatisfied with tone of it. It has more than enough gain, but it has always sounded too bright and thin. I even replaced the volume pot with a lower resistance one in hopes of tameing some of the high end. It made it less bright, but it is still really thin sounding
    Thanks for all your info.

It seems that you need a pair of pickups with a low output and a warm tone. In my opinion APH set (alnico pro humbucker) will give you this both things. Somebody suggested you a APH/CC. CC it is a high output humbucker and ussually this ones aren't for clean stuff.

There are other sets for a low output/clean results: 59's, Pearly Gates's or Seth Lover's but it seems that APH are the ones you are looking for.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peterku
    ÁÁÁ, vazze! Ha az a srác, akit nem rég le akartam beszélni egy nagyon gagyi koreai powersoundos RG-ről, rendesen tudna angolul, azonnal elküldeném neki! Ja, bocs, angolul röviden -- F! !CKING COOL POST!!!
    Rétegelt Ibanez? Pedig abban van a vitamin, nehogy lebeszéld róla

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

unfortunately the advice you seek is coming from those with biased opinions. I will be more than happy to take those super 58s off your hands email me at trav9819@yahoo.com
    If you are not weird , you're strange

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're all mad.

Forbes

I love ibanez guitars but dislike the pickups, although i cant comment on the particular pickups in question as i havent used them. If you look around the board i think you will find people recommending all sorts of pickups in an unbiased manner, the reason people here dislike (most) ibanez pickups, is beacause they are (mostly) poor.

(very funny post necropolo!)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stratvox
    unfortunately the advice you seek is coming from those with biased opinions. I will be more than happy to take those super 58s off your hands email me at trav9819@yahoo.com

What's your experience with the Super 58's. They're supposed to be their top of the line pickups, but most of the pro players using them, seem to be jazz cats. Maybe they just don't work in this guitar, with my playing style

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's your experience with the Super 58's. They're supposed to be their top of the line pickups, but most of the pro players using them, seem to be jazz cats. Maybe they just don't work in this guitar, with my playing style

?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But you gotta admit: wouldn't it be cool if, someday, Ibanez guitars came with factory installed Seymour Duncans?