Thread: New hybrid, quite unlikely

Hybrid View

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New hybrid, quite unlikely

I made a new hybrid today. I already had a jb/bluesbreaker hybrid in this guitar, and that was great. it was a bit like a paf, but with more growl, bit tighter, and less bite than the seth lover, but still that growly mids of the JB.

but the neckpickup was too weak. I even put an alnico8 bar in it, and it just was too soft. lovely sound, though. but too soft. it was a superclear sounding pup, almost hifi-ish, sparkly and warm. like a jazz pickup, I'd almost say.

I wanted that characteristic in a new pickup, but with more beef.

so, I hybridised a jazz and a jb, with an alnico8 in the neck, and an a5 in the bridge.

WOW.

Why did I never try that before, or read about it?!?! the neckpickup is GREAT. smooth, articulate, chimey, and it sparkles! but it can get dirty enough for bonamassa-style licks.

the bridgepickup, well, its a love-and-hate-relationship so far, but I like the bite and growl. its perhaps a bit too much, but its good so far. Never thought that these 2 'bland' pickups could make such a great hybrid! I call them bland, cause they seem to pop up in every guitar, and everyone has that set...

anyway, I have 4 other pickups on the way. a PATB2, stagmag, '59 bridge and a custom. I'll hybrid the first 2 and the last 2. Can't wait to hear the PATB2/stagmag combination! it promises to be a hot pickup with tight lows, but for all I know it might s*ck :P the '59/custom hybrid is a time tested and tried combo, that will sound awesome for sure.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New hybrid, quite unlikely

For it being sparkley its probably because the coils are so offset. Its kinda like DMZs "dual resonance" in a way. Two totally different wound bobbins slapped together. How are the harmonics? Do they jump at ya? Such an offset pickup prolly has some good single coil qualities to it. Thats just what I assume though.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New hybrid, quite unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by ACH91332 View Post
    For it being sparkley its probably because the coils are so offset. Its kinda like DMZs "dual resonance" in a way. Two totally different wound bobbins slapped together. How are the harmonics? Do they jump at ya? Such an offset pickup prolly has some good single coil qualities to it. Thats just what I assume though.
    absolutely! those pinch harmonics are CRAZY! but that might be due to my technique, but I have to say, its getting annoying with the hybrids I'm making: they seem to deliver the pinches easier than on other pickups. I'm building the pickups for tone, not for output. the fact that they're so bloody hot is an added bonus. can't help it, sorry :P

and indeed, the sc-sounds are there. if you coiltap them, its really sprankly and twangy. I put them in a 3 pup les paul, and I reversed the magnet of the middle pickup, so I can get even twangier tones, when I put on the middle pickup (they're magnetically out of phase, so in tone, they're out of phase too, and since I have seperate tone and volume for each pickup, I can blend in the middle pickup, and so dialing in the amount of out-of-phase).