Thread: Dimarzio Blue Velvet

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dimarzio Blue Velvet

How do you guys like these as far as vintage single coils go??
    Are they allong the same lines as SSL-1?

Jessie Sammler

Default Re: Dimarzio Blue Velvet

I think that model is discontinued, and that the closest current product is the True Velvet. I used to have one. It was a good pickup, but I don't know how vintage it sounded.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea I realize they are discontinued now,but I just bought a used one on ebay and am trying to bench race.....

Jessie Sammler

As you were, then.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a used one, though it's been a while since it was in my Strat. If I recall correctly the output is similar to a SSL-1 but it is a little smoother and less glassy. Also it has a different magnet stagger which is not vintage correct but intended to suit modern string guages better. Works well in the middle and neck with a FS-1 in the bridge. Nice pickup but I decided to go all Duncans in my Strat (SSL-5/SSL-1s).
    I'll wet my socks, pretend we just got caught in the rain.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_F View Post
    I have a used one, though it's been a while since it was in my Strat. If I recall correctly the output is similar to a SSL-1 but it is a little smoother and less glassy. Also it has a different magnet stagger which is not vintage correct but intended to suit modern string guages better. Works well in the middle and neck with a FS-1 in the bridge. Nice pickup but I decided to go all Duncans in my Strat (SSL-5/SSL-1s).
    I have a pair of SSL-1's in my 1995 Washburn MG 120 and had a pair of Blue Velvets in the MG 100 I had.
    The Velvets had about the same output as the SSL-1's but were bigger fatter and smoother . One of my favorite singles and just a GREAT sounding pickup!!
    “Tolerance is the last virtue of a depraved society. When an immoral society has blatantly and proudly violated all the commandments, it insists upon one last virtue, tolerance for its immorality. It will not tolerate condemnation of its perversions. It creates a whole new world in which only the intolerant critic of intolerable evil is evil.”

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Howdy,

More good owner reports about DiMarzio's vintage-voiced P/Us. Being a satisfied Twang King owner, I'm not surprised.