Thread: Boss CS3 for Bass?

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boss CS3 for Bass?

Will Boss's CS-3 Compression/Sustainer work for bass?

I want to get a Dynacomp instead but it's a little too pricey for me especially since I'm really a guitarist who just wants to goof around with my bass guitar every now an then. My practice bass amp (25-watter) doesn't have a built in compressor, and I'm looking at a cheapo compression unit. I'm also thinking about DOD Milkbox compressor.

Thanks for the replies!

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boss CS3 for Bass?

A compressor is a compressor is a compressor. I don't see why it wouldn't work for Bass. I have a bass and a very slightly modded CS-3. (it has only one larger cap installed in it)

I'll hook up the Bassman and see how it does. The mod mine has does make things a bit clearer and less unfocused sounding than the stock CS-3 and it doesn't change the tone of the signal at all. I think it should work very well for that purpose.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Possible differences between compressor pedals aimed at guitarists and bassists,
    1) The frequencies over which the EQ works.
    2) The ability to handle seriously hot signals from active circuitry.
    3) Multi-band comping is handy for bass (some times).

If you are practicing through a small fartbox combo, a Limiter pedal might be more appropriate.
    Esperanza Spalding - "You have to have something to say; chops don't matter. If you have nothing to say on your instrument, I'll just go home and listen to albums with people better than you."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I tried my CS-3 with my bass and it worked very well. It did make my slightly noisy pickups more noisy when ran on active mode but the silent non-active mode was really improved by the CS-3. Sustain was greatly increased and the frequencies just seemed to sound a bit more snappy/punchy. I definitely prefer that setup with this bass as it just seemed to lack a little something on non-active mode. Makes it very nice now. I think it's a good addition for a bassist. Again, mine is slightly modded and I think the mod really improved the tone of my CS-3 overall (it doesn't change the tone of whatever you are playing through it but just makes it sustain longer and sound more even).

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^What do you mean by non-active mode? My bass has active pickups (forgot about that detail)

And yes, my amp is essentially a fartbox (10in speaker), and just wants my compressor to even things out. The mids/highs just overpowers the lows too much.

I did notice there's a Boss Limiter/Enhancer for Bass. But I know a lot of bassists use MXR's dynacomp. So I thought any compressor will really do the job and do it well?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
    ^What do you mean by non-active mode? My bass has active pickups (forgot about that detail)

And yes, my amp is essentially a fartbox (10in speaker), and just wants my compressor to even things out. The mids/highs just overpowers the lows too much.

I did notice there's a Boss Limiter/Enhancer for Bass. But I know a lot of bassists use MXR's dynacomp. So I thought any compressor will really do the job and do it well?
    Mayhaps an EQ pedal might be better for you. Or an active preamp like such: http://emginc.com/products/index/105/146/4 might work better.
    Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar?
    Crowd: *screams*
    Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar as well as I do?
    Crowd: *screams*
    Dave Mustaine: YOU LIE!!!!!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bass has a switch to turn off the preamp inside the bass. The pickups are non active. If the pickups emit any noise at all, the compressor will amplify it.