Thread: Reverse wound single need with two humbuckers?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Reverse wound single need with two humbuckers?

When doing HSH does the middle pickup have to be reverse wound?

Wiring it with a 5-way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reverse wound single need with two humbuckers?

It need to be Reverse Wound and Reverse Polarity (RW/RP) unless you would like to get out phase sound from 2nd and 4th positions of the standard 5 way wiring.
    "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

House of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No RW/RP makes it so that if you have two coils running together you get hum canceling so in position 2 and 4 theres no hum. It doesnt generate out of phase tones. The fact that it is reverse wound AND reverse polarity keeps the pickups in phase with eachother. If it was just reverse wound or reverse polarity then the 2 and 4 slots would be out of phase.

EDIT: Personally I'd go with a hum cancelling middle coil since you have two humbuckers. I HATE hum so no matter what I use hum canceling singles but lets say I didnt hate hum for a second. If I were to have two humbuckers that ran great and noise free and then if I decided to go just the middle coil it would be really noisy. Going back and forth between noisy and not with the same guitar would drive me crazy but Im OCD like that so maybe its just me. Having a hum cancelling middle coil would cancel hum if you decide to split for positions 2 and 4 on a 5-way switch. Having a RW/RP would do the same but if you are in position 3 you would get hum where as with a hum cancelling single coil you wouldnt get any hum with your HSH guitar.
    Last edited by ACH91332; 07-12-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It just has to be in phase with the other two pu's. If it's not, just reverse the leads.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...