Thread: Bassman vs. Bassman 50 - what's the difference?

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bassman vs. Bassman 50 - what's the difference?

I went to my school today because the director of the music department said that we had an old silverface bassman in the closet. Of course, I just assumed it was a 68. It turned out to be a Bassman 50, the one with the master volume. Man, did it sound good! But I want to know what the difference is between that and the AB165 circuit Bassman. Is there a consensus on which one is better, or is it just preference? Because if an AB165 is better than that... well damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.
    Powered by Alnico 8 and fuzz.

Ultimate Tone Slacker loudriver23's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bassman vs. Bassman 50 - what's the difference?

What sounds good, IS GOOD. But the general consensus is the non-master volume amps are preferred to the MV ones.
    MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
    MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
    69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
    Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
    Martin D28

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by loudriver23 View Post
    What sounds good, IS GOOD. But the general consensus is the non-master volume amps are preferred to the MV ones.
    That's what I figured. Even if I wanted to buy the 50, I couldn't - school property. Oh well, I guess I'll have to "settle" for the non-master. Poor me.
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah believe it or not, the non-master volume ones sound way better.

by the time they were using a master volume they were also cutting a lot of corners over at the CBS guitar company. Score that 68 cuz it's a silverface head with blackface guts. Most chicks won't care that it's not a Blackface and the one that does is probably my future wife.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yeah believe it or not, the non-master volume ones sound way better.

by the time they were using a master volume they were also cutting a lot of corners over at the CBS guitar company. Score that 68 cuz it's a silverface head with blackface guts. Most chicks won't care that it's not a Blackface and the one that does is probably my future wife.
    Makes sense. I emailed the seller and he said that the owner before him had work done to the bass channel to make it sound more Marshall-esque. Hopefully there wasn't any work done to the normal channel - or if there was, hopefully it still sounds like it should. The guy said he thinks that it was modded since it breaks up around 4, but as long as it sounds good, does it really matter?

Plus, he said that he got the 3 prong cord done, the caps cleaned, and the power section re-tubed and biased. All that for $400? That's a steal!

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

The 50s sound fine. They're not the BF circuit like the 68, but they are darn decent amps.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^ that marshall mod is really common. i've had about 10 guys offer to do it for me.

at any rate you can't buy a better amp for $400 dude. get it now.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    ^^ that marshall mod is really common. i've had about 10 guys offer to do it for me.

at any rate you can't buy a better amp for $400 dude. get it now.
    How much does it cost to have someone do the marshall mod, on average? Is it easily reversible? Do you like the bass channel stock, or even use it?