Thread: Disadvantages of Selling on eBay???

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Disadvantages of Selling on eBay???

For those of you that have sold gear on eBay are there any disadvantages? I'm looking to sell my ESP and it is definitely the best way to advertise it, however I have no prior experience with eBay. So any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lee Bob; 10-31-2004 at 04:21 PM.
    Looking to Purchase:
    Axe-FX Ultra
    ART SLA2
    Mesa Boogie 2X12
    PRS Tremonti
    PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
    Edwards Les Paul Custom
    Gibson Explorer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Disadvantages of Selling on eBay???

The only real disadvantage is the fee that you'll pay to Ebay and also to Paypal, if the buyer pays that way. The other thing is that if you are new to Ebay, some people are reluctant to buy from sellers with a feedback rating of 0.

Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

theodie

Ebay and paypal costs. If I remember right, It eats up roughly 5-10% of the value. Also, If you have no experience with ebay, It probally will not sell (or sell for next to nothing) because of you not having a feedback rating. If you want to sell, I suggest you buy a few things first so you can get at least a little feedback. Feedback allows buyers and sellers to know about you and your practices on ebay. Mainly honesty and things of that sort.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

eBay charges quite a bit (especially on higher end items). Paypal sucks as well, so I always ask the buyer to pay the 3% fee.

I have sold on eBay before because it's easy and you get results. People trust eBay and when you're selling, they trust you (as long as you have good feedback). I always do my best to make the best impression I can to build upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another problem with Ebay is time wasters - people who bid, win and then don't pay. They seem to be a common occurrence given he amount of things I see relisted due to none paying bidders.

Also watch out for scams usually involving clearing funds through Western Union.

Having said that Ebay is still a good place to buy and sell.
    I only know 3 chords but I play 'em real good

Tokai 335 ~ Seth Lover
    MIJ Fender Stratocaster ~ SSL-1 Californian Set
    Gretsch Electromatic ~ GFS NYII & NYIII
    MIM Fender Tele ~ Quarter Pounder and Hot Tele Tapped
    Tokai MIJ SG - Gibson 57
    Tokai MIJ LP - Pearly Gates
    K.Yairi Gordon Giltrap Signature

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to be selling a lot of my gear on ebay within two weeks. I'm going to be listing it all on ebay. I have never sold anything on ebay before either, but here is what I'd recommend from what I've seen:

If you have an item you know will sell (like the Boss RV-3 I'm selling), say "No zero or Negative Feedback bidders". You can then cancel the bids of anyone with no feeback (chances are 75% of zero feedback users are going to be non-paying bidders anyway).

How significant is the eBay fee and how do you pay it? I don't have a credit card, so I was going to accept money orders only, so how would I pay the eBay fee?
    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joelap
    I'm going to be selling a lot of my gear on ebay within two weeks. I'm going to be listing it all on ebay. I have never sold anything on ebay before either, but here is what I'd recommend from what I've seen:

If you have an item you know will sell (like the Boss RV-3 I'm selling), say "No zero or Negative Feedback bidders". You can then cancel the bids of anyone with no feeback (chances are 75% of zero feedback users are going to be non-paying bidders anyway).

How significant is the eBay fee and how do you pay it? I don't have a credit card, so I was going to accept money orders only, so how would I pay the eBay fee?
    I've actually sold to zero feedback bidders a few times, with no problems. But in general, people are reluctant to deal with zero feedback users, whether they're buying or selling.

I have my credit card registered with Ebay, they just charge me once a month for any selling fees I've incurred. I think you'll need some type of credit or bank card to sell on Ebay.

Ryan

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few other things, gotta remember everyone starts with a zero feedback rating, it's more of a problem for those buying than selling - if you really want to make things happen you can offer to cover the shipping costs (pick some smaller items to sell first) to get established, believe me you'll sell your stuff. Take good pictures, fuzzy crappy pictures are almost as bad as none at all. Give detailed information, if you selling a pedal and you put velcro on the back say it in the description, some people will zing you later (after you've given them good feedback) because you didn't mention something about the item they have a problem with once they get it. Screw paypal, I sell everything with a condition for a money order or cashiers check - and I say I ship once the payment has been made to my bank (no more than a day or two). Ebay does charge, naturally the higher dollar value of the item the more you pay but I've sold things for twice what I could get selling them through a local recycler magazine or the newspaper classifieds so paying a three percent charge on a thousand dollar item (thirty bucks) is well worth it. The biggest thing I dislike about selling on ebay is having to package the item up and ship it, pain in the butt - but that's about it. You may have a buyer who bails on you, that stuff happens but you can fill out the non payment information and relist your item, it's happened to me once (I did have to pay the special features fees which amounted to about a buck for extra pictures).

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only real issue is shipping the item and the risk of damage.

Ebay allows you to advertise all over the world for a small fee. If you own a hot item you are guaranteed to get more on ebay than in a local store. Also you can sell something quick. Time is money. Sure there are fees, but if you go to a newspaper you have to pay fees. Imagine the fees to advertise in all of the papers across the country

While ebay/paypal have their problems, they are still an amazing tool.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

advantages: you can sell for a lot higher price on ebay than you could get typically in the newspaper. its fairly safe but time consuming. Check out other peoples auctions for the same item, if you dont like the price those sellers are getting for their same gear dont bother selling yours if its the same exact thing. do your research on the item and the price you should get for it be4 selling

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sell on EBay all the time and its a great way to get rid of gear you don't use anymore. Yes there is a fee involved but considering the cost of putting an AD in the paper or getting ripped off by Guitar Center trading in your gear its definitly a better way to go.You don't have to use paypal but can request the person to pay by check or money order.

The only real hassles are waiting for payment and then boxing up your gear and lugging it to the Post Office or UPS. And as others have said, beware of people winning the auction and not paying. The good thing with that is Ebay has ways of dealing with those people by either suspending there accounts or billing the person through them.

Usually 95% of Ebayers are honest, and have had good experiences buying and selling gear.
    Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
    1999 Fender MIM Strat...
    2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
    Line 6 Spider II 1x12
    Boss ME-50
    Boss DD-5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

oh yeah, first rule of ebaying.....NEVER EVER EVER EVER SEND THE ITEM BEFORE U GET THE MONEY!!! JUST DONT DO IT!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I'm not in a hurry to sell things, I'm more inclined to list on Harmony Central or GBase or on boards like this. To do that, you need to have a good idea of fair market value. Even if I can get a few more bucks on evilBay, I figure that after paying fees, it's about even. I figure there are fewer professional/chronic scam artists on places like HC than on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too am not in a hurry to sell my guitar and thus like aleclee I have listed it on HC and several other boards. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to toss it up on eBay. Everyone's great advice on what to watch out for has been great.
    Looking to Purchase:
    Axe-FX Ultra
    ART SLA2
    Mesa Boogie 2X12
    PRS Tremonti
    PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
    Edwards Les Paul Custom
    Gibson Explorer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've sold small ticket items on eBay (under $100 U.S.) and did fine. I've always worried that if I sold something for like $500 and the buyer paid with paypal if they could in some way get paypal to refund thier cash after I shipped the item. Is that an unwarranted fear on my part? Because I sold an amp asking for payment via money order and I think I could have got maybe another $50-$75 more if I accepted paypal on that one.

Lewguitar

I get the most responses and highest prices for my items I sell on Ebay. It's the way to go...even though I don't like or respect the way the greedy folks who own Ebay actually run Ebay. Lew

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gOgIver
    I've sold small ticket items on eBay (under $100 U.S.) and did fine. I've always worried that if I sold something for like $500 and the buyer paid with paypal if they could in some way get paypal to refund thier cash after I shipped the item. Is that an unwarranted fear on my part? Because I sold an amp asking for payment via money order and I think I could have got maybe another $50-$75 more if I accepted paypal on that one.
    That brings up another good point. Always transfer the money out of your Paypal account immediately after you receive payment. Ebay and Paypal don't really care about settling disputes fairly, they just want to get it over with as quickly as possible. Even if the buyer does receive the item, all he has to do is claim that he didn't, and Paypal will take the money out of your account and refund it to the buyer, no questions asked. But they can't do that if the money has already been transferred to your checking account. I heard about a guy who lost $2000 and his PRS when a scamming buyer claimed he'd never received the item, even though he had.

Ryan

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had many good buys and sells on eBay. The things I don't like are that if I sell i then need to pack up whatever it is that I'm selling. And, yes, the eBay fee eat up a bit of your earnings. I sold a guitar for $265 + $30 for shipping and eBay charged me $16. I guess it isn't to bad as I got what I paid for it originally.

You should try Craigslist.org. Check out if they have one in your city or near you. It is much like posting a classified in the newspaper
    2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.