Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about magnets

polifemo

Default Re: Teach me about magnets

Thanks.

Lousy sound quality, and I canīt say that the panning was of much help, but obviously thereīs rather subtle differencies between certain magnets.

Would have loved to have been able to listen to a selection of overdriven/distorted clips as thatīs where these "subtle things" get magnified!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump for new questions about mags and pups.

polifemo

Quote Originally Posted by polifemo View Post
    Just did my first magnet swap

I used a cheap GFS 59 bridge humbucker.
    The magnet was tightly "glued" into the wax, but after some work I was able to get it loose.
    The A2 magnet that I used as replacement removed the shrill high end as well as adding some nice mids.
    This is a cheap pickup (have no idea what type of wire that was used) in every respect, but it sounds waaaay better now!
    2:nd swap performed.
    Got an A8 in there right now.
    Different sounding pickup again Beefy tone!

Gotta love this magnet swapping thang

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by polifemo View Post
    2:nd swap performed.
    Got an A8 in there right now.
    Different sounding pickup again Beefy tone!

Gotta love this magnet swapping thang
    It's addictive.

Ultimate Tone Slacker SoCalSteve's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can someone explain why most of the ebay seller's pickups just say magnetized and not "charged"? Is charged what we're looking for to do a pickup swap? If so, do we send a note along asking for charged?

What happens if you use one not charged?
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    Can someone explain why most of the ebay seller's pickups just say magnetized and not "charged"?
    No.

Is charged what we're looking for to do a pickup swap? If so, do we send a note along asking for charged?
    I always send a note asking for FULLY-CHARGED magnets.

What happens if you use one not charged?
    The p'up won't produce any sound.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Ultimate Tone Slacker SoCalSteve's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Thanks. Gonna give it a try.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blueman's list should be a sticky.

I'm curious to see ceramic mags on there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This from Tim at Bare Knuckle:

"Magnets do add to the character of a pickup although it must be understood that a magnet doesn't have a sound on it's own, it contributes by the way it accentuates certain frequencies as current is produced in the coil windings.
    Alnico II is the softest and generally has a smooth bass and treble although this is more pronounced the hotter the windings get.
    Alnico III is very transparent, low output and clean,sounds great for rounded fat jazz applications-typical of '50s tone.
    Alnico IV is probably the best vintage tone IMHO(for humbuckers) and along with II and III was used in the earliest PAFs-this is a fact and not myth as we've had them analysed and a colleague of mine has also seen original Gibson purchase orders that clearly state AIV bar stock being purchased.The tone of AIV is balanced and extremely organic, it produces the most authentic vintage tone and sits better in slightly hotter vintage winds than AII which tends to get very soft in the bass and highs if used incorrectly.
    Finally Alnico V is the hottest producing more highs and lows, great for rock applications or where power and cut are important.
    Different companies use different grades for personal reasons, we use all of the applicable Alnico grades to suit the correct design, both to be historically correct but more importantly to have the best sound.
    Changing magnets in a humbucker can give dramatic results, you soon find the ones that really don't sit right and others that are head and shoulders better.Obviously you can't swap out single coil magnets as they're integral to the coil form.
    I've personally spent alot of time voicing all the BKP range with the correct magnets but I do tweak and swap sometimes on consultation with a customer with a specific requirement."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard parker View Post
    This from Tim at Bare Knuckle:

"Magnets do add to the character of a pickup although it must be understood that a magnet doesn't have a sound on it's own, it contributes by the way it accentuates certain frequencies as current is produced in the coil windings.
    Alnico II is the softest and generally has a smooth bass and treble although this is more pronounced the hotter the windings get.
    Alnico III is very transparent, low output and clean,sounds great for rounded fat jazz applications-typical of '50s tone.
    Alnico IV is probably the best vintage tone IMHO(for humbuckers) and along with II and III was used in the earliest PAFs-this is a fact and not myth as we've had them analysed and a colleague of mine has also seen original Gibson purchase orders that clearly state AIV bar stock being purchased.The tone of AIV is balanced and extremely organic, it produces the most authentic vintage tone and sits better in slightly hotter vintage winds than AII which tends to get very soft in the bass and highs if used incorrectly.
    Finally Alnico V is the hottest producing more highs and lows, great for rock applications or where power and cut are important.
    Different companies use different grades for personal reasons, we use all of the applicable Alnico grades to suit the correct design, both to be historically correct but more importantly to have the best sound.
    Changing magnets in a humbucker can give dramatic results, you soon find the ones that really don't sit right and others that are head and shoulders better.Obviously you can't swap out single coil magnets as they're integral to the coil form.
    I've personally spent alot of time voicing all the BKP range with the correct magnets but I do tweak and swap sometimes on consultation with a customer with a specific requirement."
    OK, THAT should be the sticky instead. Still interested to see where ceramics fall into all of that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New to this but I'm sure gonna try it! What about magnet dimensions? Is there a standard size magnet that fits most humbuckers (SD, DiMarzio etc)? Do most of the Addiction FX mags fit SD buckers (except the ones listed as "short")?
    Any links to a good video tutorial on swapping mags?
    Thanks!

Edit:
    I did a google search & found great pix of how to do it. I did not info on magnet sizes. Is there a standard size for SD bucker mags?
    Last edited by 9fingers; 03-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can somebody compare A8 vs UOA5? And A4 vs UOA5?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Can somebody compare A8 vs UOA5? And A4 vs UOA5?
    All three are warm, and each has their uses.

A8 - Oriented, high output, tight low end, sharp high end (but not excessive), good dose of mids. Sometimes called a cross between a ceramic and alnico. More modern sounding. Really only suited for the bridge slot.

A4 - Unoriented, medium output, flat EQ, lets more of the PU's and guitars tone come thru. Some players like that, others don't. No big EQ push in any direction. Suitable for the bridge and neck slots, when an A5 is too bright and bassy, or an A2 is too warm and loose.

UOA5 - Unoriented, medium output, moderate mids, lots of earthy dynamics and response (similar to an A2). Second warmest magnet, after A2's. Complex and vintage sounding. Suitable for the bridge and neck when an A5 is too bright and an A2's high end is too rounded.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, Ceramic is woefully missing. I'll take a stab.

Ceramic - Highest output. Very focused sound and stays tight under high gain without mushing out. Good for a variety of rock styles, but shines with hard rock and all forms of metal. (new, old, down tuned etc.) Great low end aggressiveness, very big sounding with fairly even mids and biting highs. It is stiffer than the Alnicos and lacks some of the dynamics and random harmonics that they produce. It can also be seen as sterile sounding and is not generally as warm as an Alnico. Alot of that depends on the wind, the player and the amp though.
    Last edited by Jeff5; 03-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TTT

nominated for a sticky...unless there is a better one.

Our search blows...

Sticky this
    -Chris
    Twitter @ChrisWeatherly1
    Instagram @JCWeatherly
    Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Our search blows...

Sticky this
    I've been saying it for quite some time. Now that you're saying it, it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    I've been saying it for quite some time. Now that you're saying it, it'll happen.
    I doubt that...

I have no juice around here.
    -Chris
    Twitter @ChrisWeatherly1
    Instagram @JCWeatherly
    Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

STICKY.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."