Thread: CC vs '78 in a LP standard

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question CC vs '78 in a LP standard

Hi guys i own a Les Paul standard 2008 chambered with Burstbucker pro pups.
    I plan to change in better. I am not an evh tone seeker but honestly i would like my guitar to sound "something like that".
    I have my own idea about this and i think i would be happier with a Custom Custom on the bridge and a Pearly Gates on Neck, but i've never tried this combination on a Les Paul.
    What do you guys think?? i would like to know your experiences, or just an advice.
    TIA
    simo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: CC vs '78 in a LP standard

The CC in a LP has almost no highs.

The 78 is much better, very aggressive. I found it to be problematic wrt going to friends and playing through random amps.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 59B would sound good too.
    That's what i have in my 2007 Gibson LP chambered studio guitar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even though the 78' and CC are both A2 pickups that EVH used or uses, the similarities really end there. The CC is mid heavy, a bit spongy on the lows and has a very smooth top end. Great pickup in a bright guitar or a super strat. The 78' has much less midrange to my ears and a brighter treble response. The bass may be the same, but it seems to have less because of the eq of the treble.

Which will sound good in your LP?....depends on your guitar. If your LP is on the bright side naturally, the CC will likely sound very good. I definitely don't think it's too hot, even though it reads 14.4k. If your LP is darker sounding, it may be a bit muddy combined with the natural mids of a darker LP. The 78' may be closer to what you want if your LP is darker or more mid range sounding.

I think a 59' bridge or even a PG bridge will get you in the same ballpark for a lot less money than the 78', if that's a concern. If I could put any pickup in the bridge of a Les Paul, I think it would be a custom shop S-Deco. Everything I have heard about that pickup is off the charts....and it's in the same output range roughly as the 78'. Hotter than a PAF but not in the Custom range either.

FWIW.
    My Sound Clips

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
    Too high to type
    0nly two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
    The CC is mid heavy, a bit spongy on the lows and has a very smooth top end. Great pickup in a bright guitar or a super strat...If your LP is darker sounding, it may be a bit muddy combined with the natural mids of a darker LP.
    +1. For me, a CC was just too dark in an LP. It needs a brighter-sounding wood to work. But Customs sound good with a number of different magnets. I have an UOA5 in a C5, in an LP, and it sounds great. Probably the sound you're looking for.

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

like others have said, unless your LP is super bright or you are playing through a super bright amp, like an older marshall or something, im not sure you're going to be super thrilled with the CC. A '59 in the bridge is a good option too for VH "type" sounds. An alnico 8 mag in a '59, in the bridge of your LP would be even better!
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    1989 PRS custom 24 10 top
    1986 Laney AOR "Pro Tube" 100MV
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

CountFunkula

You could try an a8 59 or a uoa5 custom, but I think your best bet is a 10K S-Deco.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Re: CC vs '78 in a LP standard

very interesting...this mag replacement intrigues me lol
    I've never did it before, but i guess it wouldn't be too difficult, right?
    do you guys know where i could find those mags? is there an online site where i could buy them?
    thx again

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just put a A8 in my 59B in my Les Paul chambered guitar and it rocks.
    I've done that mag swap in my strats but this is the first time i did the 59B/A8 in a LP and man does it wake up the guitar tones.
    It really is easy to do and worth the 20 minutes of your time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The S Deco is a great pickup. It's actually my favorite, all time bridge humbucker. That said, it's not all that great for a VH type sound. To me, the VH sound is about chewey, complex mids and soft attack in the lows and highs. The Deco is very percussive, has lots of attack across the board, and is slightly dipped in the mids. It has almost a single coil type character to the attack and clarity while retaining most of a good PAF's thickness.

Now, if you want to have some of the old VH type feel to your LP's treble slot, I'd try a PGb in there. With some knob fiddling on the guitar and amp, a PG set is very, very versatile in a LP.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.