Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Jones pickups.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Adam Jones pickups.

Hey, I've searched around on the internet for days, and haven't found out what pickups Adam Jones uses. I know its Seymour Duncan, but which of 'em is the question. Any knowledge?

Regards Freddy.
    Last edited by Freddy; 11-17-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Ultimate Tone Slacker Franknfilms's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adam Jones pickups.

Hot Rodded set, JB in the bridge, Jazz in the neck. Silverburst Les Paul. Oddly enough, despite the popularity of this set, you'll get a lot of bad feedback about the JB/Jazz in a Les Paul on this forum...well, mainly the JB. If you're looking to buy some humbuckers you should let us know what guitar/amp you're using and we can steer you in the right direction.
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Tim Shaw's
    Frankencaster: SM-3n Seymourized Mini, Norton
    Schecter C1+: 59n, Custom UOA5, Triple Shots
    Cruise Strat: EMG 58
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Genz-Benz Tribal 2x12 cab, Eminence Private Jacks
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les paul custom too....never underestimate the tonal sizzle you get from the ebony board.....may make the JB better

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've tried the jb, and on the Internet read that he uses a jb too. Both of which I doubt. Im pretty sure it's just a rumor that he uses the jb, and the jb stock just never cut it. That being said, my eyes were opened to his tone when I got a painkiller by bareknuckle. It blew me away with jones tones and I only have it in a penco (can't wait to get it in a Gibson). I don't know what he uses but I'd bet $100 it's a ceramic based pickup. Don't get me wrong, I have many seymour duncans, and there my go to.

I already predict someone is going to call me ignorant about Adam jones' pickup choice, but until anyone can produce a valid source as to what pickup he uses, I'll accept the flaming in good nature

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh and in a video that shows his rig, it shows he had two diezel (sp?) amps hooked up to Mesa cabs. also a Marshall somewhere in the mix. I can safely say those accounts for more than half his tone.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Adam is known for being extremely secretive about his tone. I've heard many different rumors, and I've heard him neither confirm nor deny many of them. I've heard he uses duncans, but had them rewound to his specs by a third party.

IMHO, what accounts for even more of his tone than his 1969 Plexi (the one with Towelie on it) is his left hand fingers and his pick attack. He has a very unique playing style and probably concentrates even more on that than his pickups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.
    Powered by Alnico 8 and fuzz.

Canadian in the UK, like Maple Syrup in Tea.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He uses the JB as far as I know, but the amps are by far the biggest part of his sound. Pickups make relatively small difference in the grand scheme of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Kalish

Yeah, he uses JB in the bridge, not so sure about the neck, as he hardly ever uses that pickup.

I might add that a big part of his tone comes from the silver coating in those LP, because he keeps searching for more!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can see the sounds on The Pot coming from a JB. It has the characteristics of one.

Mojo's Minions Petrovsk Mizinski's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He has a pretty tight sound, which is obviously partly superb picking hand attack and muting technique, but he does only usually tune down to drop D.
    A super tight pickup isn't really that necessary at that tuning, so it's quite possible it's a JB. The JB isn't as loose as some would have you believe.
    Not as loose as the loosest, but not EMG 81 tight. A JB seems to fall in the middle of those I would say from personal experience as well as what I've heard on the Arch Enemy albums.
    However, if he regularly tuning down to say, B or A, he would definitely be using a much tighter pickup.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Franknfilms's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, Jones' pickups are ultimately a mystery, I always believed that he used the JB all of these years. When I had a chance to play a LP with a JB I was convinced that he uses a JB or something similar, but now that I've been looking into it I'm pretty sure no one has ever produced any evidence.

I consider this to be the ultimate Tool song, it's like a greatest hits compilation of Adam Jones guitar parts:
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Tim Shaw's
    Frankencaster: SM-3n Seymourized Mini, Norton
    Schecter C1+: 59n, Custom UOA5, Triple Shots
    Cruise Strat: EMG 58
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Genz-Benz Tribal 2x12 cab, Eminence Private Jacks
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn. Thank you guys! Didn't think I was going to have so many good answers.
    Yeah, he really is secret about his tone. And I understand it, everybody wants they're own tone!

So is this the set I should buy?
    http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan.../dp/B0007TYPYQ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the JB sounds sweet in drop D tunning. The lack of bottom end in that pickup is perfect in that tunning. If you 'need' more, just increase the bass in your Mesa or Engl .

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Damn. Thank you guys! Didn't think I was going to have so many good answers.
    Yeah, he really is secret about his tone. And I understand it, everybody wants they're own tone!

So is this the set I should buy?
    http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan.../dp/B0007TYPYQ
    If you want Adam Jones tone, why are you buying a neck pickup? He doesn't use his 99% of the time. If you want a neck pickup, go for a '59 - more versatility. Otherwise, just buy the JB on its own. You'll save a good bit of money. I think there's one in the trading post now for a pretty good price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.