Thread: TB-14 fine tuning help

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default TB-14 fine tuning help

Hello I'm new to this forum. I just installed a tb-14 in the bridge of my Ibanez RG4EXFM1 . It has a basswood body with a maple top, volume knob only using 500k pot. I use LINE 6 pod farm 2 to play through most of the the time. Sound pretty good most of the time but the high ends seems little harsh and when I scoop the mids IT sound a bit brittle. I thought changing volume pot to 250k. Any advice how to setup this pu would be greatly appreciated.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TB-14 fine tuning help

The Custom 5 is notoriously bright and scooped in the mids. You could, if you want to round the high-end and add mids, put an "Unoriented Alnico 5 magnet in it. Changing magnets is easy and there are plenty of tutorials here and on the web on how to do it. You can buy magnets from "AddictionFX" on eBay for CHEAP. It will literally make it a new pickup and for what you are describing the "UOA5" would be perfect.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was my experience with the C5 as well. Sometimes it sounds really good, but other times the scooped mids and brittle highs are just a bit much. A magnet swap is a great idea and easy fix for about $4. If you don't want to do that, boosting the mids on your amp and rolling of the highs can help as well.

Another idea would be to use a .47 cap for the tone if your guitar has a .22 in there now. If those things don't work or you don't want to swap magnets, you'll either have to learn to like it or swap it for another pickup. If you bought if from a dealer (within the last 21 days) you can call Duncan, get a return authorization and trade it in on another.

If you want to look at a different pickup that will have the output of the C5 but not be so harsh in the highs and scooped in the mids go with a PATB-1. You will not be disappointed.
    My Sound Clips

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
    Too high to type
    0nly two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the quick response. I am on ebay right now is this the right one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Alnico-5-un-orie...item4aa565c7d0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, that's the one. Addiction FX is really good and they do quite a bit of business with the guys on this forum. As long as you're thinking about ordering one, I would suggest getting a roughcast A2 and an A4 as well, for just a few dollars. Not sure if the A4's come in roughcast or just unpolished, but both the A2 and the A4 get good reviews in the Custom pickups.

The A2 will have looser low's, boosted mids and a really smooth, sweet top end. The A4 will be a nice middle ground between the A2 and the A5 with a more even overall eq response. My guess is that either the UA05 or the A4 will be most to your liking, but for such a small amount of money it's good to experiment.
    My Sound Clips

Too high to type
    0nly two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sruffie777 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I am on ebay right now is this the right one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Alnico-5-un-orie...item4aa565c7d0
    It is indeed the right magnet, in the right size, and from the right seller!! ;-)
    Go for it!
    Guitars:
    -Ibanez RG620QM with PAF Pro(n)/Dimebucker(b).
    -Ibanez RG550 with Swineshead Condor(n)/Fast Track 1(m)/Steve's Special(b).
    -Ibanez RG450LTD with EVO(n)/ISCV2(m)/EVO2(b)
    -Ibanez RG08LTD with PAF Joe(n)/Steve's Special(b)

"You can buy muscles (steroďds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the good advice I will order a new magnet. I have a JB in my Charvel and I wanted a different sound for my RG something brighter but not harsh. I will keep you posted on my results, Thanks again.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I personally dont like the C5. I hear the same thing you heard in your Ibby. I think the plain, old, ceramic loaded Custom is the way to go.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: TB-14 fine tuning help

I just placed order one uoa5 should I have ordered pair? Sorry for lack of pickup Knowledge but I am quick study hpefully. Now after reading through the forum I might try swaping out magnet in my JB.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You only need the one magnet. I probably would have ordered a couple just to avoid more shipping charges when I ordered later, but you are fine.
    My Sound Clips

Too high to type

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    I personally dont like the C5. I hear the same thing you heard in your Ibby. I think the plain, old, ceramic loaded Custom is the way to go.
    Yea if the magnet swap doesn't work I will use a JB or maybe try a custom
    Last edited by Sruffie777; 11-21-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    I need no stinkin signatures

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Happy Turkey Day! Just switched the stock magnet with an uoa5. It sounds much improved it is an usable pup now, but it sound in between bright and a bit brittle depending on the how the presence is set on the amp. I'm going order a A2 and A4. I can't decide which magnet to try first any suggestions?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're not sold on the UOA5, someone here will probably trade you an A2 or A8 for it. Both of them are thicker in mids and creamier in the highs.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mother****in' A8.
    Every love that made me lose my reasoning. Every chord that made my conscience ache. Every day spent counting hours. Well, none of them comes close to singing back a song inside my head.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Mother****in' A8.
    OK ok I'll get an A8 try it also. lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mother****in' A8.
    Just put in an A8 in my C5. The mids come out really well now, sounds great for rhythm, but highs seem to be rolled off a bit, but much better than brittle highs that A5 and UOA5 gave it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just put in an A8 in my C5. The mids come out really well now, sounds great for rhythm, but highs seem to be rolled off a bit, but much better than brittle highs that A5 and UOA5 gave it.
    Try lowering the bass side and raising the treble side. Or even raising the polepieces under the treble side a touch. That will increase their brightness and focus.
    Every love that made me lose my reasoning. Every chord that made my conscience ache. Every day spent counting hours. Well, none of them comes close to singing back a song inside my head.

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try lowering the bass side and raising the treble side. Or even raising the polepieces under the treble side a touch. That will increase their brightness and focus.
    My bad the pup wasn't level and I did raise the pole on high E and B strings sound real tight and punchy now... sweet! Thanks for the tip Kam!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bad the pup wasn't level and I did raise the pole on high E and B strings sound real tight and punchy now... sweet! Thanks for the tip Kam!
    No worries, man. Glad I could help.

For the record, I don't think any of my pickups sit level. I just glanced at the Custom8 in my Strat copy and the treble side is sitting at least a few MM higher than the bass. It just takes a little time to dial it in and find it's sweet spot. Too many people just get rid of great pickups without tweaking simple things like that, or trying mag-swapping or whatever.

Glad you got it worked out, man. Best of luck.