Thread: Pickup for E & A Strings Only

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pickup for E & A Strings Only

Hi all -

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how I would modify or purchase a bass pickup that would only pickup my E and A strings. The remaining string would be amplified by another pickup, and each pickup would have its own out put jack.

I'm really excited about this project, but I'm having trouble getting started. Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pickup for E & A Strings Only

Half of a split coil Precision bass should suffice. The other strings would be sensed by a second pickup (or the other half of a Precision split coil).

Once upon a time, some Shergold and Hayman bass guitars were wired to spilt the E/A and D/G signals to separate outputs. I cannot remember whether the mono mode connected the coils in series or parallel?
    Quote Originally Posted by LTF View Post
    the video proved so popular that woodwind players who went to band camp in their youth everywhere dusted off their instruments, licked their lips and got down to blowing

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sounds kinda wierd to have the E & A string going to one output jack and the D & G strings going to another jack. But I'd agree with Funk, that the best way is to get a Precision Bass pup set and have each going to a separate jack. Interesting how you might set up the switching and pots, however.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try reading this http://www.shergold.co.uk/originfo.html or this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shergold_Marathon

The wiki entry has a photograph of the Shergold pickup. Essentially, two P Bass type coils within a big rectangular plastic housing.

A college friend of mine had a Natural finish example of the Marathon Bass with dual output sockets for the pseudo-stereo wiring. (Similar to the Rick-O-Sound idea only half a pickup per jack socket.) I do not recall his instrument having a stereo/mono mode switch.

Somewhere, there must be a schematic diagram for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTF View Post
    the video proved so popular that woodwind players who went to band camp in their youth everywhere dusted off their instruments, licked their lips and got down to blowing