Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-detail review of the Screamin' Demon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking In-detail review of the Screamin' Demon.

I've had it for two months in the bridge of my mahogany Ibanez, and I've been giving it mad praise on the forum since day one. Here's why:

First, I've never had the need for higher gain pickups. Low output pickups, if voiced aggressively, can be just as tight as your Distortions and Blackouts and whatnot.

The only exceptions is that if you only use non-MV tube amps and you need the preamp squeeze. Or if you need a very compressed pickup for your playing style. I don't.

So the Demon...

It's a extremely transparent and balanced pickup like your nicer, well behaved PAF style pickups, but with some sizzle and extra muscle thrown in for good measure.
    The "pissed off PAF" or whatever phrase it was that I read somewhere about it, makes sense.
    It's low output, but with a slightly abbrasive, dry and nasty tendency. The bass and mids feel untouched, it doesn't feel pushed and it amplifies what the guitar's giving in.
    It won't make a dead plank come alive. Instead, it will reproduce the tonal yuz that your axe gives.

Clean, it's very neutral and frankly the best humbucker I've ever heard for cleans. Where the JB was unusable, this one's very good.

With mild and heavy distortion, it just makes sense: It's so clear, and it has such a prominent attack, that every note in a chord comes through, and the results is a gritty, ferocious chug that WILL smash your face.
    It will laugh all the way from AC/DC to Meshuggah. It can do all of these, and not in a swiss army knife, "that'll do" way. It sounds authoritative.
    Roll back the tone a bit, and it will lay back and become tamer, and sweeter for those fat Joe Perry sounds.

It's got a huge bass response, but not in the usual "pushed low mids" a la JB, Super Distortion and other hotties.
    You'd think it's thin on first sight. It's not. Adjust your amp accordingly, and you'll get a sledgehammer in response.

And the dynamics don't lie. If you're a sloppy player, be ready for it. It won't mask your mistakes, it won't do legato or tapping easier for you.

For downtuning it's even better. I rarely go lower than Drop D, but I've fooled all the way to B and somehow it sounds even tighter and more attacking at that.
    Frankly this is THE pickup to have if you downtune and want to keep it all clear.

I played it through a cranked Peavey 6505+ and the mixture of humbucker fatness and push, with the clarity and sizzle of a single coil was even more apparent.
    I figure just about anything would sound badass through that amps, but the good qualities of the Demon and my guitar came clearly through it.

So I'm really happy with the Screamin' Demon. It can only get better in a nicer guitar like I'll have someday, but it's a keeper.
    I'd love to buy two more, drop A2/A8 magnets on them and see what happens in the bridge and the neck. But the stock voicing is excellent for me.
    I'd confidently put it in a Les Paul, or a 335/339-style guitar.

James Hetfield used the following phrase to describe an old Fender Twin Reverb, I'll use it to describe the Demon:

"It's so sharp it'll take your nuts off!"

Last edited by Diego; 12-13-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2 Pro neck, Screamin' Demon bridge.
    AllParts Strat / Toneriders Pure Vintage set
    Partscaster #2 / JB-8 bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 + DIY 1x12 cab + Eminence Wizard / Roland Cube 60
    Zvex Super Duper, EHX Memory Toy, Keeley BD2, Boss GE-7, CE-2, DD-5, Marshall Jackhammer,
    EHX Metal Muff TB.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: In-detail review of the Screamin' Demon.

Nice review. I only had my Demon a short time before I dissected it with a '59 to make a couple of hybrids. Now you make me want it back.

Edit: Actually, that was a Demon and a Distortion that I hybridized. I guess that gives me a Screamin' Distortion.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-26-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"pissed off P.A.F" ?
    That alone makes me want to try one now!
    I could use a po'ed P.A.F in one of my charvels.
    Does it have more pazazz than the 59b i hope?
    The 59 was too plain jane and i wanted lady ga ga!
    the 59 was not that!
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-25-2011 at 05:50 PM.

The Screamin' Demon is easily one of my favorite Duncans. I've got one in the bridge of my Frankenstrat and it definitely screams in that guitar. I love the girth of it, how the notes just sing and the articulation. There's also a nice bloom to chords with it too, something that wasn't there before with other pickups.

A PO'd PAF sounds about right. Good description.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    The Screamin' Demon is easily one of my favorite Duncans. I've got one in the bridge of my Frankenstrat and it definitely screams in that guitar. I love the girth of it, how the notes just sing and the articulation. There's also a nice bloom to chords with it too, something that wasn't there before with other pickups.

A PO'd PAF sounds about right. Good description.
    u guys are makin me want to at least try one with this pissed off P.A.F talk? how in the hell did i never consider tryin one before? Oh yeah hated lynchs tone when he used one compared to the sh-6 he used b4!
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-25-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nice review!

so glad i'm not the only one who hears it like that

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been extolling the virtues of the Demon as well for a while now. It's an awesome pickup all around.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm excited to see how it sounds in my Wilshire Pro. I just picked it up last night and installed it, but haven't had time to try it out yet (still have to make a new nut before I restring it and test it). But I'm chomping at the bit. Kinda like a little kid on Christmas Eve wanting morning to come right now.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    damn u guys are gettin me all worked up over here with this pissed off P.A.F talk! Lol how in the hell did i never consider tryin one before? Oh yeah hated lynchs tone when he used one compared to the sh-6 he used b4! Lol
    Just get one. Sure, Lynch's tone changed when he switched to it. I personally like the tone of the second Mob album. But, there's more to the tone than the pickup.

It's not as hot as a Custom series pickup, and to some it may not seem hot enough but I can tell you, the thing responds in just the right way. I love being able to squeeze notes out of the guitar with it and harmonics are great. Really cool pinches that don't come through as well with other pickups I've looked at.

I've got it matched up with the STK-S4 Classic Stack Plus in the neck and middle. Great versatility with that setup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just get one. Sure, Lynch's tone changed when he switched to it. I personally like the tone of the second Mob album. But, there's more to the tone than the pickup.

It's not as hot as a Custom series pickup, and to some it may not seem hot enough but I can tell you, the thing responds in just the right way. I love being able to squeeze notes out of the guitar with it and harmonics are great. Really cool pinches that don't come through as well with other pickups I've looked at.

I've got it matched up with the STK-S4 Classic Stack Plus in the neck and middle. Great versatility with that setup.
    one of my buds here sent me a vid clip of GL with a ESP orange quilw strat that has the demon in the bridge and wow killer tone. The vid clip is a exerpt from GL's reh video lesson. He is playin through the purple plexi on it!

one of my buds here sent me a vid clip of GL with a ESP orange quilw strat that has the demon in the bridge and wow killer tone. The vid clip is a exerpt from GL's reh video lesson. He is playin through the purple plexi on it!
    If it's the video with him the studio control room, that Strat actually has a JB in the bridge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it's the video with him the studio control room, that Strat actually has a JB in the bridge.
    erik i just saw this reply from u and i am pretty sure it is a demon unless GL has a JB with 6 screws and 6 black hex poles? He is in a control room and he play a few of the solo's from the wicked sensation record. It is killer!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mahogany is a great wood for this pickup. Do not put it in a maple center neck thru guitar. It will be way too twangy.

Ultimate Tone Slacker whatshisname's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dnewhous View Post
    Mahogany is a great wood for this pickup. Do not put it in a maple center neck thru guitar. It will be way too twangy.
    Funny you should say that. George Lynch's guitar bodies are usually maple, although not neck-through.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No such thing as too twangy.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by Ed Hunter
    one of my buds here sent me a vid clip of GL with a ESP orange quilt strat that has the demon in the bridge and DAMN! killer tone!. The vid clip is a exerpt from GL's reh video lesson. He is playin through the purple plexi on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikH

I was right dude it is a demon look for yourself at the hex poles when GL moves his right hand away,
    Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-26-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker devastone's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, G has an awesome tone on that, one of my toop 10 favorite discs. That was also around the time they were developing the Demon, so it could have been a prototype in that one, who knows.

I did have a Demon in an old Charvel many, many moons ago. The thing I noticed most about it was it had a killer chunk through a Marshall and a 4-12 (I think I was using one of the early 900 Dual Masters then). Definitely a cool pickup, it's not hot enough to slam the input of a non-Master amp, but with a high gain amp it is a rockin' pup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    Yeah, G has an awesome tone on that, one of my toop 10 favorite discs. That was also around the time they were developing the Demon, so it could have been a prototype in that one, who knows.

I did have a Demon in an old Charvel many, many moons ago. The thing I noticed most about it was it had a killer chunk through a Marshall and a 4-12 (I think I was using one of the early 900 Dual Masters then). Definitely a cool pickup, it's not hot enough to slam the input of a non-Master amp, but with a high gain amp it is a rockin' pup.
    Devastone thats sounds cool to me because i wanted a PAF pro type by duncan and i think these are like a pro( half cocked wha tone/lower output)? I like the percussive attack the demon has on that GL vid and it supposedly cleans up great when you back off the guitars vol knob?
    I will find out because i got one yesterday from Mirkok1 on a trade but i have not gotten around to installing it yet.

Ultimate Tone Member jacksontrader's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a Demon in a basswood bodied guitar for years, loved it. Best friend bugged me for it when the guitar got to where it needed a lot of work, some of which I couldn't do, so I caved. Now the guitar is almost done and the Demon is long gone, I ended up replacing it wth an Alternative 8. Still kicking myself. That pickup was the best sounding pickup for lead playing I've ever had.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tried it twice, hated it both times. A gutless, wimpy pickup.

I've even used an Air Norton in the bridge, and that was fine.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.