Thread: Delay Through Twin Reverb Input

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Delay Through Twin Reverb Input

I have one amp with an effects loop and the delay sounds great but through the input of my Twin Reverb it sounds like crap. The Twin Reverb is from '74. So how did all the older guys get nice delay sounds from their vintage amps?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Delay Through Twin Reverb Input

what delay is it? the output level and/or impedance could be doing weird things

is the twin set clean? i know thats half a stupid question but my friend steve has a master volume twin that he setup to sound dirty.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guitarists such as Gary Moore go onstage with, say, a full Marshall Stack to get the basic guitar sound then an second stack dedicated to handling just the "wet" portion of the effected signal. Others achieve the same results by adding any delay and modulation effects via the PA system.

With a Silverface Twin Reverb, if you play through the Vibrato channel inputs, run the "wet" delay signal into the Normal channel jack. Blend the channel volume to taste.

If the delay repeats sound really ragged, you may have a level mismatch. Alternatively, some of your pre-amp valves might be overdue for replacement.
    Last edited by Funkfingers; 12-27-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never seem to like delays put into the input of an amp, they always need to go through the effects loop for my own taste, so I definitely understand your concern and experience!

As Funkfingers says, adding effects via the PA-system would be the best solution I guess.
    Some guys let their amp being modded to have an effects loop, but in a true classic amp as you have there, I would not go that way too easely myself either!
    Guitars:
    -Ibanez RG620QM with PAF Pro(n)/Dimebucker(b).
    -Ibanez RG550 with Swineshead Condor(n)/Fast Track 1(m)/Steve's Special(b).
    -Ibanez RG450LTD with EVO(n)/ISCV2(m)/EVO2(b)
    -Ibanez RG08LTD with PAF Joe(n)/Steve's Special(b)

"You can buy muscles (steroďds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah delays usually sound best after any gain stages but a twin set clean with a memory man or something before the preamp can sound really lush. Its just really about how hifi you want your sound. Thats why they made fx loops....
    Or the suggestion by funkfingers works also if you have a parallell input amp like a sf twin and no fx loop.
    Anyway you can take it a step even further than using an fx loop...but its complicated....and its more like a studio type approach even tho it can be used for live...
    Take Larry Carlon as an example...he uses a dumble for his sound. NO reverb, nothing. Then he mics his cab and sends that signal thru a separate mixer, effects (reverbs, delays etc)all are in an auxiliary loop then out thru a pair of powered pa speakers which sit either side of the dumble.
    Lots of ways to get a delay set up. But what exactly do you mean when you say using it with your twin sounds like crap? If, like most sf twins the amp is just loud and clean then it should sound fine unless there is some weird impedance thing going on as jeremy said. So...what delay are you using?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like crap when I use distortion with the delay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

aha. well that is to be expected. delays sound best after any dirt. Try keeping your amp clean and using overdrive or fuzz pedals before the delay and enjoy the old school lushness.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    With a Silverface Twin Reverb, if you play through the Vibrato channel inputs, run the "wet" delay signal into the Normal channel jack. Blend the channel volume to taste.
    arent the two channels out of phase?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think so. The only point at which anything needs to be in reverse phase to anything else is the dual output signals from the Line Driver (V6) to the push and pull halves of the output stage valve array.