Thread: Neck pickup not working suddenly?

Canadian in the UK, like Maple Syrup in Tea.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Neck pickup not working suddenly?

Hey everyone

I went to band practice today only to find, much to my disappointment, that the neck pickup on my tele is suddenly not working anymore. Last time I plugged this specific guitar in was about 2 days ago or so (and actually, now that I think of it, I tuned it last night plugged into my tuner, which I know from past experience doesn't register with the volume off or with broken pickups).

So I had to play a whole set at practice with a bridge pickup in a jazz setting.. it was terrible. When I got home a few minutes ago I unscrewed the control panel and looked under and all the wiring seems to be in fine condition, everything appears to be soldered and connected properly, though I'll double check it with a wiring diagram in a few minutes.

Its being carried in a big reinforced gigbag, and I didn't bump against anything on the way there. The worst that could be said was that it was -8 outside, though the guitar didn't feel too cold when I got in.

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning that the bridge pickup works fine, there are no issues with the tone or volume controls either, and in the middle position the bridge pickup is still on, as normal.
    Last edited by TimmyPage; 01-12-2011 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Neck pickup not working suddenly?

sounds like its all the neck pickup!

did you check the wires at the pickup base?

Canadian in the UK, like Maple Syrup in Tea.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just pulled it out and checked, they all seem to be in order. Pickups can't just.. die can they?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a Custom that did, 1 day was working like the day I got it the next NOTHING. I even unsoldered the black and white wires at the bobbins and got no DC resistance readings. Tried everything I could think of to no availe.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plug it in and poke/jiggle the connections. Probably a solder joint went bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you have a meter check the pup by itself and see if you get a reading. if you do its in the wiring, if not then the pup is the problem.

in general pups dont just die but ive seen it before. seemingly nothing happens but the pup stops working, obviously something happened but only the flying spaghetti monster knows what it was

Grandturk

Jiggle the switch - probably a dirty connection.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyPage View Post
    So I had to play a whole set at practice with a bridge pickup in a jazz setting.. it was terrible.
    There's a video out there of George Benson doing a guest jam playing a solidbody strat style guitar - he didn't complain. You gotta work with what you have at hand and make it work!