Thread: Cort Doubleneck restoration

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cort Doubleneck restoration

I am looking for some help/input on a restoration of a mid 80's Cort DN1 Doubleneck 6/12. I noticed some posts from another member who has been down this road before and hoping to benefit from his expereince with this guitar. The first thing I need to do is straighten out the buggerd electronics . I contacted Cort but don't know if they will be able to come up with a schematic. I am wondering if the preamp is worth saving,and if anybody has any thoughts on replacing the ceramic powersound pickups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cort in case.jpg  

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cort Doubleneck restoration

Nice axe(s)....Keep it as original as possible & post when you got it done..Good Luck. Cheers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a cool project.

Everything kinda depends what you want to get out of it. Is it a restoration or a hod-rod? I wouldn't go changing the pickups until I was sure I didn't like them.

What exactly is wrong with the electronics?
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you can see she is missing a pot is missing, and the preamp has been opened up, and wiring rerouted . Also I am trying to figure out the proper functions of the 2 mini
    switcheson lower bout. One is single throw , the other is a double throw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cort controls.jpg  

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if you can save the preamp? However you could use the Gibson double-neck schematic and use the mini-toggles for coil splitting or series/parallel.

Jessie's ghost

Welcome to the forum. Nice Cort; stick around so we can see how it turns out!

BTW, snowdog, your avatar is cute.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    I'm not sure if you can save the preamp? However you could use the Gibson double-neck schematic and use the mini-toggles for coil splitting or series/parallel.
    Yeah, this is what I would do. I'd be tempted to have an individual tap for each pickup, because I like to get nice combinations of a humbucker at the neck and a single at the bridge or vice versa rather than being tied down to always having both full 'buckers or both singles.

A phase switch could be really cool too (especially if you're a Peter Green fan) though I've found that I really don't use it very often. In fact, just about an hour ago I rewired a phase switch in one of my guitars into a kill switch because I never ****ing used it.

If the preamp is truly beyond saving, there are plenty of after-market alternatives out there, from many companies. Some sort of active boost could be pretty cool and would make that thing an extremely versatile beast.

And yeah, definitely hang around. This is an interesting project.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really sweet axe.
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)/Ovation CC-074
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass fretless (Black)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO AMPS: [I]Fender 300w tube head/Eden 4x10 1x15

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the advice, and I will post some after pictures for those who are interested. I have included a couple more before pictures of this girls inards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cort 001.jpg   Cort 002.jpg  

Jessie's ghost

Holy crap that's awesome.

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had one of those a few years back. I replaced the stock pickups with L500s I had laying around. The big 3 way selects which neck; the toggle next to it is to turn the pre on/off; on the lower bout the 3 way is a pickup selector (both necks) and the 2 way is phase, iirc. I DO remember 3 things:

The pre sounds like fried dog**** but the little red led is a cool touch

The stocker pups are thin and incredibly microphonic

The neck angles are wrong. To make the 6 neck playable, I actually had to have the original bridge recessed into the body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    the Les Paul is the ultimate electric guitar.
    i know that's a pretty heavy statement to make and a bunch of dudes that love Teles and shredsticks are gona argue with me, but they're wrong.
    anything you can't do on a Les Paul is because you haven't practiced enough or you don't rock hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    You put the "pow" in "power bottom."
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    *Thumpety Thump Thump Thump...WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool looking guitar. Should be a fun project
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    yea, they [ Fender Bassman] do sound like a mess, don't they. It's like a blind date with a shaggy hippy girl with a poochy belly, but then you get a hot oil massage from her and all of a sudden you're doing tantric prayer all night and asking her to move in with you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forumla73, I seen your photos of your DN1, sounds like you did an extensive amount work. Refret,routing for the
    bridge etc. I don't think mine will be quite ready for open mike next week. My original plan was to set up one of the necks for slide , maybe run the 12 neck as a 6 string,and since I play with a high "blues" action anyways; I hope I won't have to bust out the router. Who knows I might even like the sound of the pickups for the slide work . I love the old school nasal sound of my Teisco VN-4 for slide . I am sure those have to be the cheapest pickups made. Did you keep the brass nuts?
    Did you get rid of your doubleneck ? Do you have any wiring notes when you changed out the pickups?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teisco VN-4.jpg  

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    Forumla73, I seen your photos of your DN1, sounds like you did an extensive amount work. Refret,routing for the
    bridge etc. I don't think mine will be quite ready for open mike next week. My original plan was to set up one of the necks for slide , maybe run the 12 neck as a 6 string,and since I play with a high "blues" action anyways; I hope I won't have to bust out the router. Who knows I might even like the sound of the pickups for the slide work . I love the old school nasal sound of my Teisco VN-4 for slide . I am sure those have to be the cheapest pickups made. Did you keep the brass nuts?
    Did you get rid of your doubleneck ? Do you have any wiring notes when you changed out the pickups?
    That Teisco is COOL. As far as wiring, I didn't really pay that much attention. I was lucky in that everything on mine was connected and fully functioning. The only thing that really pissed me off about it was having to enlarge some of the drilled wiring cavities to pass the fat Lawrence pup wires. That was a monster. I kept the brass nuts, but if I actually intended to play it, I would have gone to bone or delrin or something. I don't care what anybody says-brass binds, regardless of how big the slots are. String lube only lasts so long, then you get the *pinking* noise back from binding. The 12 neck needed a refret, too, as well as the bridge recessed. I ended up selling it because the body was too wide for me to sit down with, I kept hitting the big toggle when I played, and standing up it was horrifically neck heavy. I traded it for an Electra Outlaw MPC thing, which, ironically enough, was so neck heavy that I relocated the top button with a valve cover spreader. It is ALSO gone. I think I'll just stick to standard designs from here on out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    the Les Paul is the ultimate electric guitar.
    i know that's a pretty heavy statement to make and a bunch of dudes that love Teles and shredsticks are gona argue with me, but they're wrong.
    anything you can't do on a Les Paul is because you haven't practiced enough or you don't rock hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    You put the "pow" in "power bottom."
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    *Thumpety Thump Thump Thump...WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    Man, I dig that old school look!
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)/Ovation CC-074
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass fretless (Black)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO AMPS: [I]Fender 300w tube head/Eden 4x10 1x15